Topic: VEDIT help (1 of 7), Read 64 times
Conf: VEDIT Suggestions
Date: Thursday, July 10, 2003 01:16 PM

I realize that I'm probably speaking heresy, but IMO VEDIT providing its own flavor help system is a big mistake. I think that it (the VEDIT help) is a formidable obstacle for the novice, who must learn a new help system in order to make effective use of the product.

Isn't this exactly the reason why operating systems, like Windows, provide common help systems? After all, imagine the confusion if /every/ product had its own help system, each with unique features, capabilities and UI.

The VEDIT help system is a nice demonstration of VEDIT capabilities, but as a help system, per se, it is less than satisfactory.

Needless to say, I begrudge every minute I must spend figuring out how VEDIT help works -- when I already know how to work the Windows help!

-R.

Topic: VEDIT help (2 of 7), Read 63 times
Date: Thursday, July 10, 2003 01:39 PM

>I realize that I'm probably speaking heresy, but IMO VEDIT providing >its own flavor help system is a big mistake.

Guess you are referring to the DOS version, since VPW's help system, even if not tailored according to the latest html based versions, is quite fairly Windows standard.

Well, the DOS version, like any DOS program, had and has to have a help system of its own, since, as you may remember, (MS)Dos didn't provide one. Remember WordPerfect, DBase, TurboPascal...? As many programs, as many help systems - times of freedom, times of chaos :)

Fritz

Topic: VEDIT help (3 of 7), Read 65 times
Date: Thursday, July 10, 2003 02:22 PM

Understood. So, why not /also/ distribute a windows-based help facility, accessible outside of VEDIT? Perhaps as a stand-alone CHM file that we could download as with the PDF documents?

-R.

Topic: VEDIT help (4 of 7), Read 72 times
Date: Friday, July 18, 2003 08:25 AM

If you are using the DOS version of Vedit, but want to view Windows-style help for it, you could download the Windows version of Vedit, install it, and then create a shortcut to its Help file (veditpw.hlp). You can then view the help "outside Vedit" via this shortcut, while using the DOS version of Vedit. If you copied all the help files to a separate subdir, you could even then uninstall the Windwos version if you never use it.

Topic: VEDIT help (5 of 7), Read 50 times
Date: Thursday, March 25, 2004 02:58 PM

Rick,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have just tried a variant of it.

Specifically, I just installed the DOS version of Vedit into the directory of the Windows version. I noticed that the DOS version has its own help file.

Then, I started to search for the topic "V-SWAP". I did not succeed in the in the Windows version, however I did succeed in the DOS version.

Incidentally, I got referred to Appendix C of the user manual. I take that it is an earlier user manual, but I do not know which one.

Specifically, I am getting a VSWAP ERROR 8xx message. Does anybody have any additional information on that?

Thanks,

-peter.

Topic: Re: VEDIT help (6 of 7), Read 53 times
Date: Thursday, March 25, 2004 03:27 PM

At 02:58 PM 3/25/2004, you wrote:
>Specifically, I am getting a VSWAP ERROR 8xx message. Does anybody have any additional information on that?

V-SWAP is generally only needed when running the DOS version of VEDIT under real DOS, it is not needed with Windows and may not even work.

Also, we have no further intentions of supporting the DOS version. When VEDIT 6.11 was released, 90% of the support calls were related to the DOS version!
We will make the DOS version available "on request" for as long as possible, but it will be unsupported.

Ted.

Ted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Green (ted@...) Greenview Data, Inc.
Web: www.... PO Box 1586, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Tel: (734) 996-1300 Fax: (734) 996-1308 VEDIT - Text/Data/Binary Editor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spam problems? www.SpamStopsHere.com blocks 99% of spam for businesses.

Topic: Re: VEDIT help (7 of 7), Read 59 times
Date: Thursday, March 25, 2004 05:10 PM

Thanks Ted,

I know that you are very busy with the forthcoming 6.12.
I do appreciate your taking the time out.

In fact, I do find the DOS version of 6.11 amazing. That is to say, that you could reproduce in DOS the feautures of the Windows version.

I am on my Sabbatical with an old Toshiba 300 laptop. I was thinking of making arrangements, just in case the Windows program breaks down.

Well, the DOS version of Vedit was an excellent workhorse for me, for a long time! So, I thought that it would be an excellent option for me for the short run.

I am glad to be able to report that I can run Vedit for simple tasks from the a-drive, without VSWAP. I can always compile on the Unix machines at work.

Once again a big thank for the DOS version of VEDIT!

-peter.