Topic: Extract for Multiple Files (1 of 2), Read 65 times
Conf: VEDIT Macro Library
Date: Thursday, January 30, 2003 11:40 AM

I would like to create a macro that uses the Wildfile.vdm but would read a file of strings, and compare each string to match the input file records and then extract that record to another file. It would also be nice if the string search was positional.

My example is that I am searching for multiple social security numbers starting at position 15 in the record, over several files.

I realize that I can do this now, one string at a time, but I have clients that send a spreadsheet of SSN's. It would be nice to put the SSN's to text file and let her rip!

Thanks

Topic: Re: Extract for Multiple Files (2 of 2), Read 75 times
Conf: VEDIT Macro Library
Date: Thursday, January 30, 2003 12:08 PM

At 12:01 PM 1/30/2003, you wrote:
>I would like to create a macro that uses the Wildfile.vdm but would read a file of strings, and compare each string to match the input file records and then extract that record to another file. It would also be nice if the string search was positional.

Please note that supplied EXTRACT.VDM macro in {MISC, More macro, Extract} uses a file of strings to perform an extraction. It is designed to be run from within Wildfile to extract from multiple files.

Therefore, EXTRACT.VDM comes very close to your needs. It might need to be modified to only search certain columns as you requested.

Ted.