Topic: create program group' causes install to abend (1 of 2), Read 31 times
Conf: Installation, Configuration
Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 01:59 PM

I was doing a new commercial product installation on 4 Win/NT machines from a CD-ROM received Nov 12, 2003. Two installs ran correctly, and program group icons were created correctly in the user workspace.

Here's the problem with the other two.

I selected the same options in each install, as far as I know.

At the point of creating a program group, the install abends with an error. The blue screen does not add any new information as to what the error actually was. I think it just said "create program group".

The Windows program group is on the screen after this, but disappears when it is closed, since it did not completely get created.

The only workaround was to do another install and SKIP the program group creation. The choices following that in the macro then ran correctly. Vedit is still be accessible from the programs menu.

Could the disk drive been full, (not enough space for .PDF manual?) or insufficient memory cause a problem?
No message actually said what the problem was. There were no previous versions of Vedit on the machines.

eeechhh. All of this windows terminology...I hope I have explained this sufficiently. ;-D

Topic: create program group' causes install to abend (2 of 2), Read 21 times
Conf: Installation, Configuration
Date: Friday, November 21, 2003 11:36 AM

On 11/18/2003 1:59:53 PM, John Foster wrote:
>...
>At the point of creating a program group, the install
>abends with an error. The blue screen does not add any new
>information as to what the error actually was. I think it
>just said "create program group".

This is a known problem; the current workaround is to simply reboot the computer and then the installation will work.

VEDIT still uses a 16-bit Windows component (Program Manager) to create the program group. It is included with Win NT/2000/XP for backward compatibility, but is very crash-prone. It was already crashed when you installed VEDIT, hence the hang. Hence a reboot will allow VEDIT to install.

VEDIT 6.11 uses the new 32-bit method of creating icons, but currently only to create the VEDIT icon on the desktop. Once I am sure this works properly, I will use this new method for the entire program group and no longer use the crash-prone Program Manager.

Ted.