Topic: Default Icons For Associated File Types (1 of 4), Read 17 times, 1 File Attachment
Conf: Installation, Configuration
Date: Friday, September 15, 2006 10:37 AM

File types that I have associated with Vedit display one of two icons in Windows Explorer. One is the red knife, the other is a smaller version of the knife within a page whose upper right corner is turned down. See the attached screen shot. I have not been able to figure out how to change the former into the latter. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA - WZZI / WZZU / WLNI / WLEQ
http://members.cox.net/dalehcook/starcity.shtml

Icon Screen Shot

Topic: Default Icons For Associated File Types (2 of 4), Read 11 times
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2006 08:58 AM

Dale,

All I can think of is that an icon display depends on the size of the icon - i.e. each icon contains a large version of itself and a small version (often 32x32 and 16x16). When you have large icons displayed in Explorer (or anywhere else) you see the large, when you have small, you see small. You cannot control this, as far as I know, except that you can control the size you see by changing the view setting.
Also, I'm am curious - why do you care? I just about never even notice the icons associated with files.

Topic: Re: Default Icons For Associated File Types (3 of 4), Read 8 times
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:34 AM

At 10:40 AM 9/15/2006, you wrote:
>File types that I have associated with Vedit display one of two icons in Windows Explorer. One is the red knife, the other is a smaller version of the knife within a page whose upper right corner is turned down. See the attached screen shot. I have not been able to figure out how to change the former into the latter. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

In Windows Explorer:

Select Tools -> Folder Options.
Select the File Types tag.
Select the file type associated with VEDIT.
Press [Advanced]
Press [Change icon]
Select another icon.

The icon selection is for large icons; each has a small icon too.

If you want to change the icon for all future associations, you can change the supplied registry.vdm file.

Near the end are the lines:

if (#96==0) { // Most filetypes
Reg_Set(20,`,1')
`,APPEND) // Icon # 1
} else { // ".vdm" files
Reg_Set(20,`,6')
`,APPEND) // Icon # 6
}

Changing the "1" to another value (up to 8?) will change the default associated icon.

Sorry I don't know the exact Icon numbers anymore; this was done a long time ago. You might be able to view the icons in the vpw.exe using a "Resource editor".

Ted.

Topic: Re: Default Icons For Associated File Types (4 of 4), Read 8 times
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:39 PM

On 9/16/2006 11:34:54 AM, Ted Green wrote:
>At 10:40 AM 9/15/2006, you
>wrote:

>Changing the "1" to another
>value (up to 8?) will change
>the default associated icon.
>
>Sorry I don't know the exact
>Icon numbers anymore; this was
>done a long time ago. You
>might be able to view the
>icons in the vpw.exe using a
>"Resource editor".
>
IconPro shows 11 icons in vpw.exe, some of which appear to be identical.

This can be downloaded from:-
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwui/html/msdn_icons.asp

(Later versions exist in SDK Samples)