Topic: Supress carriage control characters ??? (1 of 5), Read 34 times
Conf: Installation, Configuration
Date: Monday, September 10, 2007 01:39 PM

I'm getting acquainted with VEDIT and am initially using it to view a print image file in which the carriage control characters are appearing in column 1. How would I suppress the view of column 1 for every line in a text file or simply replace each carriage control character with a blank character. File is very large and burned on a CD and we don't want users to necessarily modify the file and save it to their PC's as disk space will become an issue. Sorry for this simple question but haven't had time to skim the 450 user's manual yet.

Thanks,

Tom

Topic: Re: Supress carriage control characters ??? (2 of 5), Read 32 times
Date: Monday, September 10, 2007 04:03 PM

At 01:58 PM 9/10/2007, you wrote:
>From: "Tom Merritt"
>
>I'm getting acquainted with VEDIT and am initially using it to view a print image file in which the carriage control characters are appearing in column 1. How would I suppress the view of column 1 for every line in a text file or simply replace each carriage control character with a blank character. File is very large and burned on a CD and we don't want users to necessarily modify the file and save it to their PC's as disk space will become an issue. Sorry for this simple question but haven't had time to skim the 450 user's manual yet.

It is strange to see a "carriage control char" in the first column. If it is a control character (hex 00 - 1F), then most likely it is a CR and is caused by your file having LF+CR instead of the nearly universal CR+LF.
This can be fixed with a global search-and-replace:

Search: |H0A|H0D
Replace: |H0D|H0A

However, it is consists of mainframe-type printer controls like "1" for new page,
"-" for overstrike etc., then normal lines will have a space in the 1st column. In this case you can simply delete the first column.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Supress carriage control characters ??? (3 of 5), Read 30 times
Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:44 AM

Hi Ted,

What you suggested works in a sense but it is not column specific. It changes every '1' in the file. Does VEDIT have a way to make the search and replace function column specific?? I only need to change the '1' that appears in column 1 of each line to a hex 40. That would do the trick. Please let me know when time permits.

Thanks!

Tom

Topic: Re: Supress carriage control characters ??? (4 of 5), Read 28 times
Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 07:54 PM

On 9/12/2007 10:44:52 AM, Tom Merritt wrote:
What you suggested
>works in a sense but it is not
>column specific. It changes
>every '1' in the file. Does
>VEDIT have a way to make the
>search and replace function
>column specific?? I only need
>to change the '1' that appears
>in column 1 of each line to a
>hex 40. That would do the
>trick. Please let me know when
>time permits.

Vedit has a columnar mode, but it is faster (and easier) to replace all '1' at
the start of lines.

replace("|<1", "@", BEGIN|ALL|NOERR)

Topic: Re: Supress carriage control characters ??? (5 of 5), Read 32 times
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007 03:48 PM

Ian,

Thanks a bunch!!! I found that in the VEDIT User Manual last night but wasn't completely confident of the nomenclature. I'll give it a try and let you know.

I really appreciate you taking time to provide this info!!

Best,

Tom