Topic: VEDIT looking for disc in drive D:...??? (1 of 5), Read 50 times
Conf: Startup, File Open, Exit
Date: Friday, November 09, 2001 02:58 AM

For some reason, whenever I switch to the Xplor tab in VPW 6.01.2, I get the following message:

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:."

This also happens when I open VEDIT. I've tracked it to the Xplor tab - whenever it was the last thing that was up on the File Selector sidebar, I'll get this error when I next try to open VEDIT. If I switch to another tab before closing VEDIT (or if I close the File Selector bar completely), the error doesn't happen.

This is on a Windows 2000 system, and it just started happening yesterday. Drive D: is my CD-RW drive. I don't remember opening anything on that drive with VEDIT lately, so I have no clue as to what started all of this.

How do I make this stop?

Topic: Re: VEDIT looking for disc in drive D:...??? (2 of 5), Read 48 times
Date: Friday, November 09, 2001 10:18 AM

At 02:58 AM 11/9/2001, you wrote:
>From: "Lee Jackson"
>
>For some reason, whenever I switch to the Xplor tab in VPW 6.01.2, I get the following message:
>
>"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:."

I have not seen this message from Xplor in VEDIT, but I have encountered it bringing up the regular Explorer in Win2000. I don't know what causes it, but it appears Windows tries to keep track of which removable drives are "active". If it loses track, any Explorer that shows all drives will report that error. In other words, I am (currently) denying that this is a VEDIT problem.

I would suggest placing a CD into the drive, going to "My Computer", right clicking on the CD-ROM drive and selecting "Eject". That should get Windows back into sync.

BTW - An "under-documented" Windows feature is that if you hold down the key when you insert a CD-ROM, it disables the auto-play function.

Ted.

Topic: Re: VEDIT looking for disc in drive D:...??? (3 of 5), Read 48 times
Date: Saturday, November 10, 2001 12:48 AM

I managed to get it to stop, but I had to take an extra step:

1. Insert CD in drive D:
2. Fire up VEDIT (xplor window not up)
3. Switch to xplor tab
4. Open text file on drive D:
5. Close file
6. Use xplor window to navigate to and open text file on drive C:
7. Exit VEDIT
8. Use "Eject" context menu right-click item to eject CD

Once I did all of this, the problem disappeared. I still don't know if this was a Windows problem or a VEDIT problem, but it did only happen with VEDIT's implementation of the explorer window.

May I make a suggestion? I have another program that I use called Windows Commander (http://www.ghisler.com) which recovers very gracefully from similar errors. It's a Norton Commander-like Windows app, with two panes for file management. It remembers which directories were in each pane upon closing and will attempt to open these when you fire it up. If one of the drives is not there (as in the case of a CD), it will default to showing the root directory of drive C:. If it runs into a disk not present condition at any other time, it will present you with a "drive not found" error box, with a "select another drive" prompt and a pulldown menu. Here, you can either pick another drive or insert a disc into the original (the pulldown defaults to whatever drive you tried to use). After you select a drive, it shows the default directory for the drive and never gives you the same error again (until you force it into a similar situation again).

Could VEDIT be made to do something similar? If you start up VEDIT, could it trap the drive not found errors and offer similar choices? That way, you wouldn't have to go through the steps I went through every time you opened a file on a CD and then removed the disc.

Topic: Re: VEDIT looking for disc in drive D:...??? (4 of 5), Read 47 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Saturday, November 10, 2001 02:55 AM

The error just happened again. I'm attaching a screencap of the error box, which is definitely generated by VEDIT. Now, whether or not VEDIT is reading things strangely or Windows is farking things up somewhere is something I can't answer.

I do know for a fact this time that I did *not* edit any files on the CD this time.

I did try the quick fix you suggested, and it seems to have worked. I exited VEDIT without doing anything else, put a CD in the drive, and used the right-click context 'eject' command to remove the disc. Upon reloading VEDIT, the error did not occur.

Believe it or not, this is an extremely huge problem. I design sound effects for games (Duke Nukem Forever is the current project), and a big, big part of my job involves ripping source material from CD audio libraries. I'm under a lot of pressure to do these rips as fast as possible. It takes less time for me to hit the eject button on the drive than it does to wait around for Windows to bring up the eject command and spit out the disc, and my CD rip program (CDDAE99) works just fine with the eject button. As a result, the eject command only gets used when I'm working with a non-audio CD, which isn't that often.

Can this be remedied at all, perhaps using the suggestion I made earlier tonight? Please advise, and thanks again for your help!

VEDIT 'no disk in drive' error dialog

Topic: Re: VEDIT looking for disc in drive D:...??? (5 of 5), Read 45 times
Date: Monday, November 12, 2001 11:52 AM

At 03:10 PM 11/10/2001, you wrote:
>Could VEDIT be made to do something similar? If you start up VEDIT, could it trap the drive not found errors and offer similar choices? That way, you wouldn't have to go through the steps I went through every time you opened a file on a CD and then removed the disc.

Lee:

I have not seen this problem; if others report it we will look into it.
In the mean time, we probably should add a "Refresh" button. All
Windows "Explorer" dialog boxes uses as the Refresh function,
but this is not widely known.

Ted.