Topic: Problem (bug?) opening using SendTo (1 of 2), Read 13 times
Conf: Startup, File Open, Exit
Date: Thursday, July 20, 2006 12:42 PM

I'm running the latest VEdit (6.15.1) under Windows XP, SP2. I have some files I need to edit that are several levels down, form is K:\F1\F2\F3\F4\F5\F6\long_name_no_spaces.ext -- that is, they are on a network drive six folders down, and the file name is fairly long with underscores instead of spaces.

If I start VEdit and use its "File Open", which brings up a directory tree that I can navigate to find my file, when I click on the file, it opens fine. However, if I am browsing the tree with Windows Explorer, right-click the file, and choose "Send To" or "Open with VEdit", it opens a truncated 81-character version of the file (which doesn't exist, so it opens as a blank "new" file). The example above doesn't have enough letters, but for illustration purposes, what I would see is an edit window showing something like
K:\F1\F2\F3\F4\F5\F6\long_name_n as the title (missing some final characters).

I tried the same thing with Send To and another editor -- it worked. I was going to also try a Send To to Notepad, but when I went to set it up, THE PROBLEM MYSTERIOUSLY FIXED ITSELF! I hate it when it does that!

So here's the final piece -- I rigorously tested this yesterday, documented everything, and sent an e-mail to support@.... I got a very nice note back from Ted Green, who said "I couldn't duplicate this, but remember something like this on the Forum", which is why I am posting here. But now I can't get it to fail, and I have no idea what (if anything) I did! [Well, that's not entirely true -- I did notice that my VEdit support had expired, and did just renew support on-line, but I certainly didn't tell my PC that! In fact, I tested this on two PCs, one having the updated license number, the other still with the old one, both now work, where both failed yesterday.]

Aren't computers wonderful?

Bob Schor

Topic: Re: Problem (bug?) opening using SendTo (2 of 2), Read 14 times
Conf: Startup, File Open, Exit
Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 06:58 PM

At 12:42 PM 7/20/2006, you wrote:
>If I start VEdit and use its "File Open", which brings up a directory tree that I can navigate to find my file, when I click on the file, it opens fine. However, if I am browsing the tree with Windows Explorer, right-click the file, and choose "Send To" or "Open with VEdit", it opens a truncated 81-character version of the file (which doesn't exist, so it opens as a blank "new" file).

Bob has retracted this problem report; it appeared to be a temporary network problem.

Ted.