Topic: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (1 of 11), Read 27 times
Conf: Startup, File Open, Exit
Date: Friday, February 22, 2008 03:34 PM

In VEDIT 32-Bit ver. 6.15.1 and .2, I have been having trouble opening a group of files with Explorer's context menu when "Open with VEDIT" is enabled. For example, if I highlight several files to be opened with any application -- not necessarily VEDIT -- and then right-click and choose Open, nothing happens at all. The same sequence works fine if I disable the "Open with VEDIT" option. I've observed this on two different systems and suspect that there may be something wrong with VSHELLX.dll. Has anyone else seen this? For now, I have the option turned off and have set up a link in the Send To folder. This works OK, but it would be much more convenient if the feature worked properly.

-- Howard

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (2 of 11), Read 24 times
Date: Friday, February 22, 2008 05:10 PM

At 03:56 PM 2/22/2008, you wrote:
>From: "Howard Goldstein"
>
>In VEDIT 32-Bit ver. 6.15.1 and .2, I have been having trouble opening a group of files with Explorer's context menu when "Open with VEDIT" is enabled. For example, if I highlight several files to be opened with any application -- not necessarily VEDIT -- and then right-click and choose Open, nothing happens at all. The same sequence works fine if I disable the "Open with VEDIT" option. I've observed this on two different systems and suspect that there may be something wrong with VSHELLX.dll. Has anyone else seen this? For now, I have the option turned off and have set up a link in the Send To folder. This works OK, but it would be much more convenient if the feature worked properly.

What version of Windows are you running?

Ted.

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (3 of 11), Read 28 times
Date: Friday, February 22, 2008 10:45 PM

On 2/22/2008 5:10:31 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>What version of Windows are
>you running?
>
Sorry, should have mentioned that. I'm running XP SP2. On one system it's Home and the other it's Professional.

Howard

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (4 of 11), Read 30 times
Date: Saturday, February 23, 2008 02:41 AM

on 23.02.2008 04:45 vtech-startup-exit Listmanager wrote:
> From: "Howard Goldstein"
>
> On 2/22/2008 5:10:31 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>> What version of Windows are you running?
>>
> Sorry, should have mentioned that. I'm running XP SP2. On one system it's Home and the other it's Professional.

I can confirm that problem for Windows XP.
But with Windows 2000 the contect menu is working fine.

Christian

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (5 of 11), Read 36 times
Date: Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:55 PM

On 2/23/2008 2:41:51 AM, Christian Ziemski wrote:
>
>I can confirm that problem for Windows
>XP.
>But with Windows 2000 the contect menu
>is working fine.
>
I'm very glad to here this. I thought that there might be something weird about my systmes and that no one else would be able to duplicate the problem. It's nice not to be alone!

Thanks,
Howard

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (6 of 11), Read 23 times
Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 03:43 PM

At 03:56 PM 2/22/2008, you wrote:
>From: "Howard Goldstein"
>
>In VEDIT 32-Bit ver. 6.15.1 and .2, I have been having trouble opening a group of files with Explorer's context menu when "Open with VEDIT" is enabled. For example, if I highlight several files to be opened with any application -- not necessarily VEDIT -- and then right-click and choose Open, nothing happens at all. The same sequence works fine if I disable the "Open with VEDIT" option. I've observed this on two different systems and suspect that there may be something wrong with VSHELLX.dll. Has anyone else seen this? For now, I have the option turned off and have set up a link in the Send To folder. This works OK, but it would be much more convenient if the feature worked properly.

I can confirm it now too. I will add it to the bugs to be fixed ASAP.
Both Tom Burt and I are working on VEDIT almost daily now.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (7 of 11), Read 29 times
Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 06:08 PM

On 2/26/2008 3:43:13 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>At 03:56 PM 2/22/2008, you
>wrote:
>>From: "Howard Goldstein"
>>
>>In VEDIT 32-Bit ver. 6.15.1 and .2, I have been having trouble opening a group of files with Explorer's context menu when "Open with VEDIT" is enabled. For example, if I highlight several files to be opened with any application -- not necessarily VEDIT -- and then right-click and choose Open, nothing happens at all. The same sequence works fine if I disable the "Open with VEDIT" option. I've observed this on two different systems and suspect that there may be something wrong with VSHELLX.dll. Has anyone else seen this? For now, I have the option turned off and have set up a link in the Send To folder. This works OK, but it would be much more convenient if the feature worked properly.
>
>I can confirm it now too. I
>will add it to the bugs to be
>fixed ASAP.
>Both Tom Burt and I are
>working on VEDIT almost daily
>now.
>
>Ted.
>
Great to hear that you guys are working on VEDIT again! Thanks for adding my little problem to the bug list.

-- Howard

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (8 of 11), Read 12 times
Date: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 02:05 PM

On 2/26/2008 3:43:13 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>At 03:56 PM 2/22/2008, you
>wrote:
>>
>>In VEDIT 32-Bit ver. 6.15.1 and .2, I have been having trouble opening a group of files with Explorer's context menu when "Open with VEDIT" is enabled. For example, if I highlight several files to be opened with any application -- not necessarily VEDIT -- and then right-click and choose Open, nothing happens at all. The same sequence works fine if I disable the "Open with VEDIT" option. I've observed this on two different systems and suspect that there may be something wrong with VSHELLX.dll. Has anyone else seen this? For now, I have the option turned off and have set up a link in the Send To folder. This works OK, but it would be much more convenient if the feature worked properly.
>
>I can confirm it now too. I
>will add it to the bugs to be
>fixed ASAP.
>Both Tom Burt and I are
>working on VEDIT almost daily
>now.
This issue, which I originally reported over three years ago, still exists in 6.20.1. I'm seeing it under XP SP3.

-- Howard

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (9 of 11), Read 13 times
Date: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 03:46 PM

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Howard Goldstein" ( hgoldst1@... ) On 2/26/2008
> This issue, which I originally reported over three years ago, still
> exists in 6.20.1. I'm seeing it under XP SP3.

Howard:

Unfortunately Tom Burt retired before he fixed this and I have not yet familiarized myself with the code for vshellx.dll. The "Open with VEDIT" doesn't work at all under Win7, so it needs to get fixed before too long.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (10 of 11), Read 17 times
Date: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 05:36 AM

On 6/7/2011 2:05:27 PM, Howard Goldstein wrote:
>>
>>In VEDIT 32-Bit ver. 6.15.1 and .2,
>>I have been having trouble opening a
>>group of files with Explorer's context
>>menu when "Open with VEDIT" is enabled.
>>For example, if I highlight several
>>files to be opened with any application
>>-- not necessarily VEDIT -- and then
>>right-click and choose Open, nothing
>>happens at all.

On my computer (XP SP3),

- "Open" option in the Explorer right-click menu does open one file but does nothing when multiple files are selected.

- "Open with Vedit" does open all the selected .txt files to a new instance of Vedit 6.15.4.

- "Open with" -> "Vedit editor" opens only one file to an existing instance of Vedit. If I have both Vedit 6.15.4 and Vedit 6.20.2 open, the one that was started later is used. If no Vedit instance is open, Vedit 6.15.4 opens.

(When I installed Vedit 6.20.2, I choose not to add anything to Registry, so the registry values should still refer to 6.15.4.)

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Open with VEDIT' messes up Explorer context menu (11 of 11), Read 19 times
Date: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 09:37 AM

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Pauli Lindgren" ( pauli0212@... )
>
> On my computer (XP SP3),
>
> - "Open" option in the Explorer right-click menu does open one file
> but does nothing when multiple files are selected.
>
> - "Open with Vedit" does open all the selected .txt files to a new
> instance of Vedit 6.15.4.
>
> - "Open with" -> "Vedit editor" opens only one file to an existing
> instance of Vedit. If I have both Vedit 6.15.4 and Vedit 6.20.2 open,
> the one that was started later is used. If no Vedit instance is open,
> Vedit 6.15.4 opens.

Thanks for the additional info. This will help me debug the problem, but I don't plan on working on it right away.

Ted.