Topic: Back Reference in RegEx search (1 of 3), Read 48 times
Conf: Search and Replace
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 08:23 AM

What is the correct way to use a back-reference in a search regex in vedit? When I try simply using \1 Vedit crashes (and gives no error). When I use $1 I get nothing found, eventhough I have created a test file which the regular expression should match and does match if I replace the back-reference with text. I have tried \1$ as per the example in the help file, which is not very helpful. Nothing works and too many things crash Vedit.

Topic: Back Reference in RegEx search (2 of 3), Read 53 times
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 10:21 AM

On 1/19/2005 8:23:30 AM, Robert Kaucher wrote:
>What is the correct way to use a back-reference in a search
>regex in vedit? When I try simply using \1 Vedit crashes ...

Robert:

Please let us know the versions of VEDIT and Windows you are using.

And can you post one of your complete search strings please?

Christian

Topic: Re: Back Reference in RegEx search (3 of 3), Read 52 times
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 11:10 AM

At 08:23 AM 1/19/2005, you wrote:
>What is the correct way to use a back-reference in a search regex in vedit? When I try simply using \1 Vedit crashes (and gives no error). When I use $1 I get nothing found, eventhough I have created a test file which the regular expression should match and does match if I replace the back-reference with text. I have tried \1$ as per the example in the help file, which is not very helpful. Nothing works and too many things crash Vedit.

You need to give us the full RE. "\1" is the back-reference. I use it everyday. We are not aware of any crashes. Please always mention what version of VEDIT you are using.

Ted.