Topic: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (1 of 15), Read 77 times
Conf: Keyboard, keystroke macros
Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 06:19 AM

Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro.

An annoying thing that I find in veditplus 5.21.1 and many earlier versions is as follows-

1. I open a file , assign and record a keystroke macro and stop recording.
2 I hit the assigned key to use the macro a few times
3 I assign the same key to a new keystroke macro and record a new macro.
3 I hit the assigned key and nothing happens %-)

Why is it so?

On a related issue-- what is the limit of length of a keystroke macro.

Steve

Topic: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (2 of 15), Read 83 times
Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 07:19 AM

>Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro.

No problems here.

>1. I open a file , assign and record a keystroke macro and stop recording.

How do you do that?
What do you mean with:
"First assign, second record"? Two steps?
What key do you use?

Questions about questions ...

>On a related issue-- what is the limit of length of a keystroke macro.

From the online help:

>>Key_Add("key-seq","edit-seq")
>>Add the key assignment to the end of the
>>keyboard layout table. 'Key-seq' is the
>>name of the key to be assigned. 'Edit-seq'
>>is the complete edit sequence; it can be up
>>to 4000 characters long.

and

>>The upper limit for the length of a single
>>keystroke macro is 4000 characters. Complex
>>macros that display menus, etc., should be
>>loaded into text registers.

Christian

Topic: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (3 of 15), Read 78 times
Date: Saturday, September 01, 2001 03:14 AM

>>1. I open a file , assign and record a keystroke macro and stop recording.
>
>How do you do that?
>What do you mean with:
>"First assign, second record"?
>Two steps?
>What key do you use?

Open a file

Alt-K [MENU]CKR
Nominate a key combination,say ctrl+Q, then ENTER then ENTER again if I have to overwrite an existing assignment to that key

THEN record the keystrokes

THEN Alt-K to stop recording

the first reassignment within any vedit session causes no problems

However, if I alt-K and select, say CTRL-Q, again, then record the macro, then stop the macro with ALT-K, then try to run the macro by keying CTRL-Q nothing happens.

My only solution is to exit vedit and restart vedit then load the file again and record the macro again.

Steve

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (4 of 15), Read 76 times
Date: Saturday, September 01, 2001 01:56 PM

You wrote

>[a description of correct key recording]

>the first reassignment within any vedit session causes no problems
>
>However, if I alt-K and select, say CTRL-Q, again, then record the =macro,
>then stop the macro with ALT-K, then try to run the macro by
>keying CTRL-Q nothing happens.

Strange. Here it works as expected.

Does that happen always, and with every key?

Suggestion:
After the first recording take a look at the keyboard layout via
[Menu]CKE.

Then do the second recording and check the layout again. What does it
show now?
The new assignment, the old one, nothing or something weird for
Ctrl-Q?

Christian

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (5 of 15), Read 76 times
Date: Sunday, September 02, 2001 06:31 AM

On 9/1/2001 1:56:31 PM, Christian Ziemski wrote:
>You wrote
>
>>[a description of correct key recording]
>
>>the first reassignment within any vedit session causes no problems
>>
>>However, if I alt-K and select, say CTRL-Q, again, then record the =macro,
>>then stop the macro with ALT-K, then try to run the macro by
>>keying CTRL-Q nothing happens.

OK there certainly does seem something wrong with vedit.key but why?

This next line is the last line of vedit.key after the first keystroke macro of a new session dedicated to ctrl-Q ( its a meaningless entry of characters and cursor movements)

Ctrl-Q [MENU]sr[OPTION]Salskdokd[OPTION]S[OPTION]R[OPTION]N[OPTION]O[CURSOR UP][CURSOR UP][CURSOR DOWN][CURSOR UP],,aa[BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE]sl,[BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][MENU]ss[OPTION]S,[OPTION]N[MENU]sn[MENU]sn[MENU]sn[MENU]sn[CURSOR LEFT]1[DELETE][LINE BEGIN][CURSOR DOWN]

this macro was replayed successfully
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This next line is the last line of vedit.key after the second keystroke macro of the session dedicated to ctrl-Q ( its a meaningless entry of characters and cursor movements)

Ctrl-Q [MENU]sr[OPTION]Salskdokd[OPTION]S[OPTION]R[OPTION]N[OPTION]O[CURSOR UP][CURSOR UP][CURSOR DOWN][CURSOR UP],,aa[BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE]sl,[BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][MENU]ss[OPTION]S,[OPTION]N[MENU]sn[MENU]sn[MENU]sn[MENU]sn[CURSOR LEFT]1[DELETE][LINE BEGIN][CURSOR DOWN]

this macro was replayed successfully

This next 3 lines is the last three lines of vedit.key after the third keystroke macro dedicated to ctrl-Q ( its a meaningless entry of characters and cursor movements)

The first line correctly shows the Alt-Q keystrokes from the 2nd last line from the original and previous vedit.key
The next line shows junk and I guess is the reason for not allowing the replay of ctrl-Q
The last line shows the correct recording of the third kestroke macro of the session dedicated
to ctrl-Q but which is not replayed by hitting ctrl-Q.

Alt-Q *110000+00000000[LINE END][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][BACKSPACE][MENU]bs[LINE END][MENU]eat[LINE BEGIN][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][MENU]eap 81...0+0000000[DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][DELETE][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT]82...0+000000[DELETE][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][DELETE][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT] 83...0+000000000100000[LINE BEGIN][CURSOR DOWN]
, End P N F9 R 1 Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N Alt-N F9 R M E s Alt-F7 F9 R 2 Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Alt-M Cursor-Right E s Ctrl-PrtSc End P S Ctrl-@ Ctrl-@ "[OPTION]S[OPTION]R$$##$$##$$##$$##[OPTION]N[OPTION]Y[OPTION]A[MENU]gb
Ctrl-Q this is a test[LINE BEGIN][MENU]ss[OPTION]Sthis[OPTION]Nthat [LINE BEGIN][CURSOR DOWN]

I tested the same cycle with ctrl-A and this was the vedit.key last two lines after the 2nd keystroke macro dedicated to ctrl-A of the session was completed. It shows that the problem is not isolated to one key only.

, End P S End P R Ctrl-@ Ctrl-@ ##$$@@##$$@@@##$$[OPTION]N[OPTION]Y[OPTION]Y[OPTION]Y[OPTION]A[MENU]gb[MENU]sr[OPTION]S$$[OPTION]S[OPTION]R%%[OPTION]N[OPTION]A[MENU]gb[MENU]sr[OPTION]S|w[OPTION]S[OPTION]R [OPTION]N[OPTION]A[MENU]gbthis is a test this is a test this is a test[LINE BEGIN][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT]33[CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT]44[CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT]11[CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT]33[CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT][CURSOR LEFT]33[LINE BEGIN]
Ctrl-A this s ot test his s ot est [INSERT TOGGLE][INSERT TOGGLE]this is not a test this this nnnnn[LINE BEGIN]

Steve

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (6 of 15), Read 76 times
Date: Monday, September 03, 2001 04:54 PM

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 06:32:38 -0400, Steve Rawling wrote:

>OK there certainly does seem something wrong with vedit.key but why?
>
>[Many lines of fascinating keyboard assignments ;-) to demonstrate a =problem]

Sorry Steve, I spent some time to replicate your problem here with the
help of your assignments but with no success. All works fine here.

One could think that VEDIT has something like a "buffer overrun" here,
but I tried it with longer assignments than yours.
Still no problems...
So I give up here.
Maybe someone else is having a similar problem like you and would jump
in here...

Christian

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (7 of 15), Read 78 times
Date: Thursday, September 06, 2001 05:14 PM

On 9/3/2001 4:54:15 PM, Christian Ziemski wrote:
>On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 06:32:38 -0400,
>Steve Rawling wrote:
>
>>OK there certainly does seem something wrong with vedit.key but why?

> All works fine here.
>

Thanks for your interest Christian.

Possibly the vedit is being corrupted by one of the vedit.cfg settings- as these as extensive and varied one can only guess at which cfg setting to investigate by turning it turning off and on and checking for any difference to the behaviour of the recording to the vedit.key.

I wonder also if it may be caused by the extensive repetive use of cursor movement keys and the enter key.

Or possibly the fact that the existing keystroke macro assigned to that key was itself a very long macro.

Adding this bug to the problem of not recording the limits of text selected using the shift + cursor down to mark the start of
the selected text, as well as the problem of having to clear the search for string before adding a new string, and I finding myself longing for the days when I used only the dos version of vedit- which had no such glitches.

Of course I choose to use vpw because of its many other excellent features, which are missing from the dos version.

Oh well....:-(

Steve

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (8 of 15), Read 79 times
Date: Thursday, September 06, 2001 05:23 PM

Steve:

I would like to put this issue on the back burner. I am over
my ears trying get a new version of VEDIT released and don't have
the time right now to track down a difficult-to-replicate and
obscure problem.

If the next version has this problem, I will be happy to pursue
it next month. Thank you for your patience.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (9 of 15), Read 78 times
Date: Friday, September 07, 2001 03:49 AM

> Adding this bug to the problem of not recording the limits of text
> selected using the shift + cursor down to mark the start of
> the selected text,

That behavior is "normal" while recording!
You should use F9 or {Block, Set stream marker} to
mark the begin and end of the desired block.

> as well as the problem of having to clear
> the search for string before adding a new string,

Huh? Normally the old string is highlighted and would be deleted automatically with typing the first new character...

> and I finding myself longing for the days when I used only the
> dos version of vedit- which had no such glitches.

:-) I know that feeling.
For some weeks after the Windows version came out years ago I felt the same.
But only for some weeks. Then I began to love the Windows version!

Christian

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (10 of 15), Read 74 times
Date: Friday, September 14, 2001 11:37 PM

On 9/7/2001 3:49:00 AM, Christian Ziemski wrote:
>> bug ....not recording the limits of text
>> selected using the shift + cursor down to mark the start of the selected text,
>
>You should use F9 or {Block,
>Set stream marker} to
>mark the begin and end of the
>desired block.

Yes Christian I know you should, but it is an understandable error not to
Read my reply to Walt on thread "Key Macros and Block Text"

>
>> as well as the problem of having to clear
>> the search for string before adding a new string,
>
>Huh? Normally the old string
>is highlighted and would be
>deleted automatically with
>typing the first new
>character...

Oh Yeah? Try this

Suppose you have a file as follows

Then you open that file and then record a keystroke macro

The first thing you do is record a search for, tying in the characters "222" but then you realize you wanted to search for "444" so you backspace to delete the "222" and enter the "444". Enter to carry out the search and the cursor goes to the first occurrence of "444" Now stop the macro, go to the top of the file and rerun the macro.

You should be shown the error message string not found! This is because in the recording the 222 was not deleted and so the macro tries to search for "222444" which does not exist.

Steve

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (11 of 15), Read 74 times
Date: Saturday, September 15, 2001 01:01 PM

Steve:

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 23:37:58 -0400, you wrote:

>On 9/7/2001 3:49:00 AM, Christian Ziemski wrote:
>>
>>You should use F9 or {Block,
>
>Yes Christian I know you should, but it is an understandable error not =to
>Read my reply to Walt on thread "Key Macros and Block Text"

Hey, that reply was from Sat, 28 Oct 2000!
You may don't believe it, but I couldn't remember it. ;-)

>>> as well as the problem of having to clear
>>> the search for string before adding a new string,
>>
>>Huh? Normally the old string
>>is highlighted and would be
>>deleted automatically with
>>typing the first new
>>character...
>
>
>Oh Yeah? Try this
>
>Suppose you have a file as follows
>11111
>22222
>33333
>44444
>
>Then you open that file and then record a keystroke macro
>
>The first thing you do is record a search for, tying in the characters ="222" but then you realize you wanted to search for "444" so you =backspace to delete the "222" and enter the "444". Enter to carry out the= search and the cursor goes to the first occurrence of "444" Now stop the= macro, go to the top of the file and rerun the macro.
>
>You should be shown the error message string not found! This is because =in the recording the 222 was not deleted and so the macro tries to search= for "222444" which does not exist.

Correct. Now it's clear what you meant.
I think that's a problem of the search dialog window.

Ted should jump in here IMHO.

Christian

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (12 of 15), Read 76 times
Date: Saturday, September 15, 2001 06:27 PM

At 01:01 PM 9/15/2001, you wrote:
>You should be shown the error message string not found! This is because =in the recording the 222 was not deleted and so the macro tries to search= for "222444" which does not exist.

Now, I understand this too and can confirm that it is a problem.

Recording keystrokes in a Windows dialog box is very tricky; evidently
we are not recording the editing keys such as , ,
etc. We will try to implement this soon and thereby fix this problem.

I would prefer to record the equivalent macro language command,
e.g. Search("444"). This way a recorded macro could be used as
the start for a more sophisticated macro with if-then-else, etc.
However, I don't see any easy way to then record pressing Ctrl-V
which pastes the clipboard into the search string.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (13 of 15), Read 77 times
Date: Saturday, September 15, 2001 10:35 PM

On 9/15/2001 6:27:08 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>I would prefer to record the
>equivalent macro language
>command,
>e.g. Search("444").
My use of keystroke macros and I guess is the main reason for their existence along side a command macro language, is as follows.
I have a data file in one format that I wish to convert into another format.
This data file is not necessarily of EXACTLY the same format ad previous files and the desired output is not exactly in a previously desired format
Each line of data is the same
Each line of transformed output is to be the same format
So, without thinking, I turn on the macro record and use the keyboard to delete spaces here add characters there, I may do something they decide to change it , but what ever I do its simply a keyboard edit of a line.
There could be some searched , some search and replace and often lots of deletes and spaces typed.
I finally get the single line into shape then I bring the cursor to the start of the next line and I stop recording
I then just hold down the macro key to repeat the macro for the rest of the file.
I don't bother saving the macro, I may never need to convert data of the precisely same format again and/or I may not wish to have output in exactly the same format again.
For example I may have input data where every line is identical to the following
1 0.000 458000.000 13.591
and wish to convert to every line being in the following format
111111+00458000 83..16+00135910
The keystroke macro would look like this
Ctrl-Q 111111+00[DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT] 83..16+[DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE][DELETE]00[DELETE][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][DELETE][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT][CURSOR RIGHT]0 [LINE BEGIN][CURSOR DOWN]
Now this seems a lot more complicated than the command macro required to do the equivalent, but if its a one one off requirement, the keystroke macro can be recorded and executed , the solution found and the keystroke macro discarded before you even start working out how many spaced and dots etc that you need to add to the command macro.

So in short I'm saying there is a very important place for keystroke macros and I will continue to use them for situations such as the above no matter how skillful I become at command macros.

Keystroke macros are also something that can be carried out by those unskilled in or unaware of command macros. For these people small glitches that prevent correct repeating of keystrokes is that much more of an inconvenience.

So, I feel that to have these small glitches removed is very important.

Steve

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (14 of 15), Read 77 times
Date: Sunday, September 16, 2001 04:51 PM

At 12:00 AM 9/16/2001, you wrote:
>So in short I'm saying there is a very important place for keystroke macros and I will continue to use them for situations such as the above no matter how skillful I become at command macros.

I fully agree with you. That is why the release version of 6.0 will
have two new functions {MISC, Instant record} and {MISC, Instant playback}.
This will make it more important for the recording and playback to
work well.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Assigned key won't activate keystroke macro. (15 of 15), Read 78 times
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 12:07 AM

At 01:01 PM 9/15/2001, you wrote:
>>The first thing you do is record a search for, tying in the characters ="222" but then you realize you wanted to search for "444" so you =backspace to delete the "222" and enter the "444". Enter to carry out the= search and the cursor goes to the first occurrence of "444" Now stop the= macro, go to the top of the file and rerun the macro.
>>
>>You should be shown the error message string not found! This is because =in the recording the 222 was not deleted and so the macro tries to search= for "222444" which does not exist.

This problem was fixed today in VEDIT+ 6.0. VEDIT will now record
, , etc. which are pressed within dialog boxes,
such as the Search dialog box.

Ted.