Topic: Color Printing (1 of 5), Read 52 times
Conf: Printing, Word processing
Date: Monday, May 14, 2001 01:55 AM

It sure would be nice to be able to print in color using VPW so that the syntax highlighting may be seen in the hard copy.

Topic: Re: Color Printing (2 of 5), Read 56 times
Date: Monday, May 14, 2001 11:19 AM

At 01:56 AM 5/14/2001, you wrote:
>It sure would be nice to be able to print in color using VPW so that the syntax highlighting may be seen in the hard copy.

Color printing is on our to-do list, but I don't think it will be implemented until next year. Thank you for posting the suggestion.

Ted.

Topic: Color Printing (3 of 5), Read 49 times
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 12:53 PM

Color is not so important (printing in color is slow and expensive anyway), but bold and italics could be used for syntax highlight.

In addition, some kind of page setup option would be nice, with options for headers, footers, 2 column printing etc.

Maybe printing would be a feature that could be implemented as a DLL. After all, most of the time you do not print anything, so it is not necessary to load the printing routines every time you use Vedit.

BTW, is it possible to use syntax highlight files in macro language? I was thinking about making a macro that would convert a program source file into syntax highlighted RTF or HTML file.

-- Pauli

Topic: Re: Color Printing (4 of 5), Read 57 times
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 09:00 PM

At 12:54 PM 5/16/2001, you wrote:
>Color is not so important (printing in color is slow and expensive anyway), but bold and italics could be used for syntax highlight.

When we implement color printing someday, it seems like a reasonable idea to add bold and italics as "colors". (Really all just attributes.)

>In addition, some kind of page setup option would be nice, with options for headers, footers, 2 column printing etc.

Yes, we will implement better printing in the near future too. Also a print preview, or some indication on the screen where the page breaks are.

>Maybe printing would be a feature that could be implemented as a DLL. After all, most of the time you do not print anything, so it is not necessary to load the printing routines every time you use Vedit.

I don't think that DLLs save much in the way of load times. As I understand it, the program loader checks to make sure all DLLs can be found and opens each DLL file to make sure it contains the necessary routine names. So far the vpw.exe is still fairly small (about 420K) and we even have the compiler set for minimal optimization.

>BTW, is it possible to use syntax highlight files in macro language? I was thinking about making a macro that would convert a program source file into syntax highlighted RTF or HTML file.

Sorry, no. The syntax highlighting is only used by the Visual Mode display routines.

Ted.

Topic: Color Printing (5 of 5), Read 50 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Monday, June 11, 2001 07:17 AM

Some time ago I tried to implement attribute printing (bold/italic).

Here is my macro.
It prints C-code with attributes, but it should be relatively easy to modify.

The macro isn't complete and perfect but it works. See the comments in the macro for more details.

It's coded for HP-LaserJet and contains binary data. Due to those binaries it's zipped!

Christian

PRINTSYN.ZIP (2KB)