Topic: Support for free Borland C++ 5.5 compiler? (1 of 1), Read 138 times
Conf: Compiler support
Date: Thursday, July 13, 2000 07:21 PM

If you haven't seen it yet, Borland has released a free version of their C++ compiler (v5.5) and of Turbo Debugger. This isn't their full Borland C++ Builder package, but from what I've been reading it's very useable for programming.

Of course, since it's free, there's no IDE for it. All of the tools, compiler included, are command-line (console) tools. Still, the thing has become popular enough that at least one third-party IDE has been written for it. Rather than rely on that, though, I'd like to try and use my copy of VEDIT Plus instead.

Has anyone done any work on creating compiler support for the free Borland C++ 5.5 compiler? Does any work even *need* to be done - in other words, would one of the supplied compiler support files work with it, and has anyone tested this?

Please advise, and thanks in advance!

(P.S. - the web address for the free compiler is http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/ - from what I've read about it so far, this thing might pass DJGPP in popularity on the Windows platform, given half a chance.)

--
Lee Jackson
Garland TX
VEDIT Plus user since 1992