Topic: Expanding Packed Data Fields (1 of 4), Read 82 times
Conf: Converting, Translating
Date: Thursday, April 29, 2004 11:30 AM

How do I convert a EBCDIC file with some packed data fields to ASCII ??? (I need to have the EBCDIC text converted to ASCII and the packed fields expanded).

I was able to tranlate to ASCII, but have not been able to expand the fields ...HELP !!!

Frank

Topic: Re: Expanding Packed Data Fields (2 of 4), Read 84 times
Date: Thursday, April 29, 2004 03:25 PM

At 11:30 AM 4/29/2004, you wrote:
>From: "Frank Pandolfo"
>
>How do I convert a EBCDIC file with some packed data fields to ASCII ??? (I need to have the EBCDIC text converted to ASCII and the packed fields expanded).
>
>I was able to tranlate to ASCII, but have not been able to expand the fields ...HELP !!!

Our EBCDIC conversion software (priced from $544 - $944 plus services) handles files with packed data fields. Refer to the EBCDIC page of our website for details: www..../ebcdic.htm

This is too technical an issue for this conference.

Better yet, call me to discuss your needs - (734) 996-1300 or (734) 389-0152.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Expanding Packed Data Fields (3 of 4), Read 77 times
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 10:17 AM

OK...I have created a new ebcdic.lay file for converting a EBCDIC file to ASCII. The file is a fixed 102 byte record file ( in EBCDIC ), with a 6 byte Packed Decimal field. NOw, do I need to point the application to use the new .lay file for the conversion ??? What am I missing ???

Topic: Re: Expanding Packed Data Fields (4 of 4), Read 93 times
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 10:48 AM

At 10:17 AM 5/11/2004, you wrote:
>OK...I have created a new ebcdic.lay file for converting a EBCDIC file to ASCII. The file is a fixed 102 byte record file ( in EBCDIC ), with a 6 byte Packed Decimal field. NOw, do I need to point the application to use the new .lay file for the conversion ??? What am I missing ???

To convert the data file 'myfile.dat" with the .LAY file 'newlay.lay", give the DOS/NT command:

vpw -x ebcdic-t.vdm myfile.dat newlay.lay

where 'ebcdic-t.vdm' is the trial version of the EBCDIC level-2 software. Otherwise use "ebcdic-2.vdm", "ebcdic-3.vdm" or "ebcdic-4.vdm", corresponding to the purchased Level-2, Level-3 or Level-4 software.

The trial version includes the file ebcdic-t.txt which describes the basics of creating .LAY files and running the conversion.

Since we don't have a dedicated conference topic for EBCDIC conversion, we prefer having questions emailed to support@....

Ted.