Topic: Wildfile Error - Due to DOS DIR Command? (1 of 4), Read 29 times
Conf: Wildfile, Other macros
Date: Friday, December 10, 2004 03:51 PM

I sometimes get an error message when running Wildfile on some large directories. I suspect that the DOS DIR command is choking on some filenames and causing the errors. The error messages, or as much of them as get displayed, are:

MACRO ERROR IN 16 - INVALID COMMAND: :RS(#95,
and
MACRO ERROR IN 16 - INCOMPLETE COMMAND: RS(#95,`C

Is there any tool I can use to traverse the directories and tell me which filenames might cause these errors? Alternatively, is there any way I can see the full text of the error message, which might tell me the path and filename of the offender?

Topic: Wildfile Error - Due to DOS DIR Command? (2 of 4), Read 29 times
Date: Friday, December 10, 2004 07:22 PM

On 12/10/2004 3:51:35 PM, Dale Cook wrote:
>I sometimes get an error
>message when running Wildfile
>on some large directories. I
>suspect that the DOS DIR
>command is choking on some
>filenames and causing the
>errors. The error messages, or
>as much of them as get
>displayed, are:
>
>MACRO ERROR IN 16 - INVALID
>COMMAND: :RS(#95,
>and
>MACRO ERROR IN 16 - INCOMPLETE
>COMMAND: RS(#95,`C
>
>Is there any tool I can use to
>traverse the directories and
>tell me which filenames might
>cause these errors?
>Alternatively, is there any
>way I can see the full text of
>the error message, which might
>tell me the path and filename
>of the offender?

See the discussion "Wildfile - limit to directory depth" in August. Christian had a macro to explore this.

PS You omit vital information to enable people to help you.

You should always include Vedit version, and preferable Windows version.

PS Are you using ANSI or OEM mode - this may have some bearing as well.

Topic: Re: Wildfile Error - Due to DOS DIR Command? (3 of 4), Read 30 times
Date: Friday, December 10, 2004 07:34 PM

At 03:51 PM 12/10/2004, you wrote:
>I sometimes get an error message when running Wildfile on some large directories. I suspect that the DOS DIR command is choking on some filenames and causing the errors.

Thank you Ian for remembering that this was discussed several months ago. I just wanted to add that Wildfile uses the VEDIT internal "Dir()" command which is not the same as the "DOS" Dir command, and should be able to handle pathnames up to about 260 chars.

>Alternatively, is there any way I can see the full text of the error message, which might tell me the path and filename of the offender?

If in Wildfile.vdm you disable the "Reg_Lock_Macro(#89,EXTRA)" command (around line 316) by preceding it with "//", the macro will exit to the "COMMAND:" prompt when there is an error.
Then give the command "bs(xbuf2)" to switch to the buffer containing the filenames. The cursor should be just past the line containing the troublesome pathname.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Wildfile Error - Due to DOS DIR Command? (4 of 4), Read 33 times
Date: Friday, December 10, 2004 09:21 PM

On 12/10/2004 7:34:38 PM, Ted Green wrote:

>>Alternatively, is there any way I can see the full text of
>>the error message, which might tell me the path and
>>filename of the offender?
>
>If in Wildfile.vdm you disable
>the
>"Reg_Lock_Macro(#89,EXTRA)"
>command (around line 316) ...

Ted -

That's exactly the tool I'm looking for - once I can easily find what filenames are causing the problem I'll know how to address it. In this case I'm getting ready to move one of my web sites. There is a hotlink to that site on about 200 out of the 2000 or so pages on my other two dozen sites. I'm using Wildfile to 1) change the hotlink on those 200 pages and 2) tell me which pages have been changed so I can FTP just those pages.

I've owned Vedit for about 15 years (since Vedit Plus 4.0 or the preceding version), and I have seldom needed support. When I have asked a question in a conference you have almost always been the first to come up with the right solution, which is no surprise to me. Thank you.

- Dale