Topic: veditpw.cnt (1 of 6), Read 65 times
Conf: Error messages, Crashes
Date: Monday, March 10, 2003 04:47 PM

I have down loaded 6.10.2 (two times, to rule out download errors): invoking the help file results in a message "unable to open veditpw.cnt" (i.e. the contents file for veditpw.hlp). The install.log file doesn't list any *.cnt file.

I run Vedit under Win98.

Anyway - 6.1 is great!

Fritz

Topic: Re: veditpw.cnt (2 of 6), Read 63 times
Date: Monday, March 10, 2003 06:49 PM

At 04:48 PM 3/10/2003, you wrote:
>I have down loaded 6.10.2 (two times, to rule out download errors): invoking the help file results in a message "unable to open veditpw.cnt" (i.e. the contents file for veditpw.hlp). The install.log file doesn't list any *.cnt file.

I don't know what this error is or where it is coming from. VEDIT does not include editpw.cnt. The help file is named veditpw.hlp. .CNT is not a standard file type; I cannot find any info on it.

Try this: Go to a DOS prompt and give the command:

start veditpw.hlp

Does this work?
Can you open help files for other programs?

Ted.

Topic: Re: veditpw.cnt (3 of 6), Read 64 times
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 08:14 AM

> I don't know what this error is or where it is coming from. VEDIT does
> not include editpw.cnt. The help file is named veditpw.hlp. .CNT is
> not a standard file type; I cannot find any info on it.

I compiled a couple of help files in the past using the MS help shop,
which created a *.cnt file out of the box every time. Also, my MS-
Office dir is full of *.cnt files, which are a kind of table of contents for
the related *.hlp (e.g., wdmain8.cnt ~ wdmain8.hlp).
So, my guess was that a veditpw.cnt was missing ...

> start veditpw.hlp
> Does this work?

It does.

> Can you open help files for other programs?

Yes, even if no *.cnt file exists (e.g. Pegasus mail doesnt have one,
Eudora has).

Anyway, i have saved an empty file as "veditpw.cnt", which did it :)

Fritz

Topic: Re: veditpw.cnt (4 of 6), Read 64 times
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 08:25 AM

A .cnt file is the table of contents file often associated with a regular help (.hlp) file. If you open a help file and click on the Contents button, it brings up a dialog box showing little collapsed books along the left. Opening a book shows the help topics available. This dialog is implemented with a .cnt file.

I think that the cnt file was introduced with the then new Windows 95-style help system. The older Win31 help system did not use them. Vedit's Contents button seems to invoke the older style Content view. Perhaps some systems get confused and expect to find a cnt file when the Contents button is pressed.

Rich

Topic: Re: veditpw.cnt (6 of 6), Read 63 times
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 09:37 AM

At 08:25 AM 3/11/2003, you wrote:
>A .cnt file is the table of contents file often associated with a regular help (.hlp) file. If you open a help file and click on the Contents button, it brings up a dialog box showing little collapsed books along the left. Opening a book shows the help topics available. This dialog is implemented with a .cnt file.
>
>I think that the cnt file was introduced with the then new Windows 95-style help system. The older Win31 help system did not use them. Vedit's Contents button seems to invoke the older style Content view. Perhaps some systems get confused and expect to find a cnt file when the Contents button is pressed.

That is all precisely correct and well stated!

I would like to switch to a newer style help this year, but there are only 8736 hours in a year. I would prefer to go directly to the latest HTML/XML style
help, but this wouldn't work with Win 98/ME unless the latest MS modules are installed. I don't want the VEDIT installation to turn into a big ordeal.

Ted.

Ted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Green (ted@...) Greenview Data, Inc.
Web: http://www.... PO Box 1586, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Tel: (734) 996-1300 Fax: (734) 996-1308 VEDIT - Text/Data/Binary Editor

Topic: Re: veditpw.cnt (5 of 6), Read 64 times
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 09:32 AM

At 08:15 AM 3/11/2003, you wrote:
>I compiled a couple of help files in the past using the MS help shop,
>which created a *.cnt file out of the box every time.

You are correct that the MS Help Authoring Kit for Win95 creates .CNT file for the "Contents". However, I still use the Win31 help compiler which does not use/create .CNT files.

>Anyway, i have saved an empty file as "veditpw.cnt", which did it :)

I am glad you found a solution. Unless someone else reports this problem, I don't plan on researching it further.

Ted.