Topic: Strange interaction with other Windows apps (1 of 2), Read 19 times
Conf: Error messages, Crashes
Date: Monday, December 15, 2008 10:40 AM

Vedit 6.15.2, Windows XP Pro SP3.

While running this macro (a straight copy from the manual):

while(!AT_EOF)
{
File_Read(0)
Replace("this", "that", BEGIN+ALL+NOERR+LOCAL+REGEXP)
Replace("foo", "bla", BEGIN+ALL+NOERR+LOCAL+REGEXP)
FILE_WRITE(ALL)
}
XALL

on a large file, I fired up my USENET news client (http://xnews.newsguy.com) and noticed that with many of the news client's operations, VPW's bottom status line would switch between "Waiting for disk or " to displaying "VEDIT (32-Bit) Deluxe ..." and back. More disturbing was than on exiting the news client, I got an error popup saying "Line too long; {CONFIG, File handling, File type} now set to 64 (Binary)"

Yow! I was just able to reproduce that error while composing this message using Firefox 3.0.4, switching back to the VPW window to look at the status line.

I can apparently avoid this problem by simply not doing anything else while the macro is running, but I'm no longer confident that it's doing the right thing.

Topic: Re: Strange interaction with other Windows apps (2 of 2), Read 21 times
Conf: Error messages, Crashes
Date: Monday, December 22, 2008 04:46 PM

At 10:54 AM 12/15/2008, you wrote:
>From: "Bert Hyman"
>
>Vedit 6.15.2, Windows XP Pro SP3.
>
>While running this macro (a straight copy from the manual):
>
>while(!AT_EOF)
>{
>File_Read(0)
>Replace("this", "that", BEGIN+ALL+NOERR+LOCAL+REGEXP)
>...
>Replace("foo", "bla", BEGIN+ALL+NOERR+LOCAL+REGEXP)
>FILE_WRITE(ALL)
>}
>XALL
>
>on a large file, I fired up my USENET news client (http://xnews.newsguy.com) and noticed that with many of the news client's operations, VPW's bottom status line would switch between "Waiting for disk or " to displaying "VEDIT (32-Bit) Deluxe ..." and back. More disturbing was than on exiting the news client, I got an error popup saying "Line too long; {CONFIG, File handling, File type} now set to 64 (Binary)"

While I have not seen this recently, I know this problem existed in earlier version, but thought it was fixed. I will add it to the bug list.

I have been working on Vista problems. The 64-bit installation problem has been fixed. Mostly working on fixing the problem where e.g. Alt-F inserts an "F" into the file.

Ted.