Topic: cannot see last character on line (1 of 5), Read 74 times
Conf: Basic editing, Block operations
Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 02:27 PM

When working with HTML, I often am typing on long lines. To view them, I have Horizontal scroll margin set to 1, which says that the long line should wrap at the right window edge, with the continuation shown on the next line(s), with the hyphen character appearing at the front of the continuation lines. I do not use screen wrap.

My problem is that I am just about never able to see the rightmost character at the window edge. Sometimes I can see its left edge, but I seldom see the entire character. I often have to guess what it is from context.

I have my windows set to "full-size," not maximized, which I suspect may be the cause of the problem, but I think "full-size" is a favorite setting since it is one of the menu options.

This problem has not always existed, since I've been working this way for years. Perhaps it started when screen wrap was added?

I've tried dragging the screen edge some, to try to get it to a size that might work better, but I still cannot see that pesky righmost character. ;-)

I also notice that sometimes when I paste long text strings into lines displayed with the horizontal scroll, the screen does not get refreshed correctly. I have to do a pagedown and then a pageup to get it to reset itself. I cannot reliably duplicate it, unfortunately. I do think that everyone will be able to see the hidden last character, however.

Thanks,
Rich

Topic: Re: cannot see last character on line (2 of 5), Read 69 times
Date: Thursday, August 22, 2002 12:43 AM

I can replicate the problem with the partially "hidden" last character. This problem is due to VEDIT counting a partially hidden last column in the windows width.

We will try to fix this, but it seems subtly tricky.

The work-around is to just resize VEDIT so that the last column is fully visible. If this happens when VEDIT is maximized and the editing window
is "full sized", then you might try changing the width of the scroll bars.
(Via Control Panel - Display - Appearance).

When this is fixed, it will be noted in the veditlog.txt file.

Ted.

Topic: Re: cannot see last character on line (3 of 5), Read 67 times
Date: Monday, August 26, 2002 02:50 AM

To resize it a bit automatically you can do the following commands to assign two keys (the Key_Add commands are single long lines!).
Unfortunately I didn't find out how to determine the scrollbar. If that would be possible, a single key would be enough.

So if there is a partly hidden character you have to press F11 if there is a scrollbar, or F12 if there is no scrollbar.

The commands will resize the window/application a bit smaller, so that the partly/hidden character is o.k.

//
// F11 if there is a vertical scrollbar visible
//
Key_Add("F11", "[VISUAL EXIT] if((Win_Width+16-FontW*Win_Cols)>1){ if(!Is_Zoomed){Win_Move(Win_Num,Win_X_Org,Win_Y_Org,FontW*(Win_Cols)+1+16,Win_Height)}else{Win_Move(App,App_X_Org,App_Y_Org,FontW*(Win_Cols)+1+16,App_Height)}}", OK)
//
// F12 if there is NO vertical scrollbar visible
//
Key_Add("F12", "[VISUAL EXIT] if((Win_Width-FontW*Win_Cols)>1){ if(!Is_Zoomed){Win_Move(Win_Num,Win_X_Org,Win_Y_Org,FontW*(Win_Cols)+1,Win_Height)}else{Win_Move(App,App_X_Org,App_Y_Org,FontW*(Win_Cols)+1,App_Height)}}", OK)

Christian

Topic: Re: cannot see last character on line (4 of 5), Read 69 times
Date: Monday, August 26, 2002 05:08 AM

Oops, there was a little bug in my last message's macro command. It _always_ resized the window...

Here the new and optimized one (it's one long line again). I combined both keys into one key (not optimal, but working).

So you have to type F12 only to make the window fitting.

Key_Add("F12", "[VISUAL EXIT] if((Win_Width-16-FontW*Win_Cols)>1 && (Win_Width-16-FontW*Win_Cols)<=FontW){ if(!Is_Zoomed){Win_Move(Win_Num,Win_X_Org,Win_Y_Org,FontW*(Win_Cols)+1+16,Win_Height)}else{Win_Move(App,App_X_Org,App_Y_Org,FontW*(Win_Cols)+1+16,App_Height)}} if((Win_Width-FontW*Win_Cols)>1 && (Win_Width-FontW*Win_Cols)<=FontW){ if(!Is_Zoomed){Win_Move(Win_Num,Win_X_Org,Win_Y_Org,FontW*(Win_Cols)+1,Win_Height)}else{Win_Move(App,App_X_Org,App_Y_Org,FontW*(Win_Cols)+1,App_Height)}}", OK)

Christian

Topic: cannot see last character on line (5 of 5), Read 43 times
Date: Sunday, January 25, 2004 06:11 PM

This has been fixed in VEDIT 6.12.

Previously, the cursor could be moved to a "partially" visible character on
the right edge of a window. This could be confusing and could also completely
hide the cursor. This has been fixed. Similarly, setting {CONFIG, Display
options, Horizontal scroll margin} to "1" could hide a partially visible
character at the right edge. This has also been fixed.

Ted.