Topic: Edit-Cut/Copy/Paste disabled in DOS version? (1 of 5), Read 35 times
Conf: Basic editing, Block operations
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2005 01:59 AM

Well, there is no formal support for the DOS version so this is my only hope. I'm running V 6.13.1 under MSDOS 6.20. For some reason the "traditional" cut/copy/paste-clipboard commands do nothing: neither the short-cuts (Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) or trying to choose them from the "Edit" menu.

In the menu the entries are listed ("Cut to clipboard Ctrl-X", etc.) but the highlight bar skips over them. My first theory was that they were only active if some text was selected (highlighted) but selecting text made no difference. The scratchpad and text-register functions do work.

What am I missing here?

Topic: Edit-Cut/Copy/Paste disabled in DOS version? (2 of 5), Read 33 times
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2005 04:30 AM

>Well, there is no formal support for the DOS version so this is my only hope. I'm running V 6.13.1 under MSDOS 6.20. For some reason the "traditional" cut/copy/paste-clipboard commands do nothing: neither the short-cuts (Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) or trying to choose them from the "Edit" menu.
>

This commands provide interaction of the Dos version with Windows. I you don't have a Win
installed at all, you don't have a clipboard either, right? So these command can do nothing.

Fritz

Topic: Edit-Cut/Copy/Paste disabled in DOS version? (3 of 5), Read 33 times
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2005 04:38 AM

On 7/28/2005 4:30:35 AM, Fritz Heberlein wrote:
>
>[Craig Payne: cut/copy/paste-clipboard commands do nothing]
>
>This commands provide interaction of the Dos version
>with Windows. If you don't have a Win
>installed at all, you don't have a clipboard either,
>right? So these command can do nothing.

And if I remember correctly:

Even if he would have Windows installed and using Vedit in a DOS box those clipboard commands doesn't work with Windows 2000 and newer.

Christian

Topic: Re: Edit-Cut/Copy/Paste disabled in DOS version? (5 of 5), Read 35 times
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2005 08:59 AM

At 04:39 AM 7/28/2005, you wrote:
>And if I remember correctly:
>
>Even if he would have Windows installed and using Vedit in a DOS box those clipboard commands doesn't work with Windows 2000 and newer.

Yes, the DOS version of VEDIT does not have clipboard support under Windows 2000 and newer. (Microsoft explicitly states that it is impossible for a DOS program to access the Win 2000/XP clipboard.)

Ted.

Ted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Green (ted@...) Greenview Data, Inc.
Web: www.... Fax: 734-996-1308 PO Box 1586, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Tel: (734) 996-1300 Desk: 734-369-3550 VEDIT - Text/Data/Binary Editor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.SpamStopsHere.com ranked #1 in accuracy by Network Computing Magazine

Topic: Re: Edit-Cut/Copy/Paste disabled in DOS version? (4 of 5), Read 35 times
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2005 08:55 AM

At 02:00 AM 7/28/2005, you wrote:
>Well, there is no formal support for the DOS version so this is my only hope. I'm running V 6.13.1 under MSDOS 6.20. For some reason the "traditional" cut/copy/paste-clipboard commands do nothing: neither the short-cuts (Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) or trying to choose them from the "Edit" menu.
>
>In the menu the entries are listed ("Cut to clipboard Ctrl-X", etc.) but the highlight bar skips over them. My first theory was that they were only active if some text was selected (highlighted) but selecting text made no difference. The scratchpad and text-register functions do work.

The MS-DOS operating system does not have a clipboard.

These functions only work when running the DOS version under Win 3.1/95/98.

If desired, make these keys cut/copy/paste the scratchpad.

Ted.