Topic: Wash Out Cursor Movement f/ Undo? (1 of 3), Read 14 times
Conf: Basic editing, Block operations
Date: Saturday, January 26, 2008 09:57 PM

Is it possible to configure Vedit's undo functionality to exclude cursor movement. Here's the scenario: Maybe I've pasted some text and then cursored around for some time. I decide I want to undo the paste operation. I find myself having to hold down Ctrl-Z and follow the cursor while it makes a grand tour of my file before I burn thru the undo stack to the paste operation. Is is possible to configure undo to skip over, or at least shield the user from display of, operations that don't change the file. This seems to be the way most other editors I've used work.

Topic: Re: Wash Out Cursor Movement f/ Undo? (2 of 3), Read 13 times
Date: Sunday, January 27, 2008 01:50 AM

At 09:57 PM 1/26/2008, you wrote:
>From: "Jack Williamson"
>
>Is it possible to configure Vedit's undo functionality to exclude cursor movement. Here's the scenario: Maybe I've pasted some text and then cursored around for some time. I decide I want to undo the paste operation. I find myself having to hold down Ctrl-Z and follow the cursor while it makes a grand tour of my file before I burn thru the undo stack to the paste operation. Is is possible to configure undo to skip over, or at least shield the user from display of, operations that don't change the file. This seems to be the way most other editors I've used work.

Sorry, that is not possible in VEDIT.
You can "undo" (paste) up to the last 5 deletions anywhere you like with {EDIT, Undo, Deletion}.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Wash Out Cursor Movement f/ Undo? (3 of 3), Read 11 times
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:00 PM

On 1/27/2008 1:50:49 AM, Ted Green wrote:
>At 09:57 PM 1/26/2008, you wrote:
>>From: "Jack Williamson"
>>
>> Is is possible to configure undo to skip over,
>> or at least shield the user from display of,
>> operations that don't change the file.
>> This seems to be the way most other editors
>> I've used work.
>
> Sorry, that is not possible in VEDIT.
> You can "undo" (paste) up to
> the last 5 deletions anywhere
> you like with {EDIT, Undo, Deletion}.

But it would be a very useful enhancement.
I have often missed that, too.

I think the best way would be to have another option in the Undo menu, "Undo cursor movements" or "Undo until last change".

Selecting this option would automatically undo all the keypresses that did not change anything in the file. When first actual change is found, undo would stop there.

I think Vedit already knows which operations change the file, since when you do the first actual change, Is_Altered flag is set and an asterisk is displayed on window title bar.

Maybe this one bit of information could be added into each item in the Undo buffer.

Another (small) enhancement related to this would be a counter that counts how many changes have been made. That is, instead of just setting the Is_Altered flag, Vedit would increase a counter. The counter value would be displayed in Status Display. This should be quite simple to implement.

--
Pauli