Topic: Reading .asp files in Netscape. (1 of 7), Read 46 times
Conf: Other (Not related to VEDIT)
Date: Monday, February 09, 2004 05:59 PM

Hello,

I downloaded my customer.asp file from the secure Vedit website.

If I rename it to customer.html, I have no problem reading it in Netscape!

Now I would like to change the file association in my Win/98 program, but I can not. If I try to edit the Netscape associations and add the .asp extension, I get a message that it is used by another program. But that other program does not seem to be listed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks fellow Vedit users.

-peter.

Topic: Reading .asp files in Netscape. (2 of 7), Read 39 times
Date: Monday, February 09, 2004 11:23 PM

On 2/9/2004 5:59:53 PM, Peter Rejto wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I downloaded my customer.asp
>file from the secure Vedit
>website.
>
>If I rename it to
>customer.html, I have no
>problem reading it in
>Netscape!
>
>Now I would like to change the
>file association in my Win/98
>program, but I can not. If I
>try to edit the Netscape
>associations and add the .asp
>extension, I get a message
>that it is used by another
>program. But that other
>program does not seem to be
>listed.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
On my XP system .asp is associated with Mozilla Composer, or Microsoft Frontpage.

I am not sure you can associate with a browser, and most .asp files don't make sense standalone.

Topic: Reading .asp files in Netscape. (3 of 7), Read 29 times
Date: Monday, August 23, 2004 01:17 PM

Thanks Ian,

My friends are telling me that Mozilla is very close to Netscape. I upgraded to Netscape 7.00 and my problem got solved.

Here is my other parameter: Windows 98/SE. Here I can edit the ""send to" list and I simply added Netscape. So, the association issue did not come up.

I am in the process of upgrading to Win/2K. Do I understand it correctly: I will no longer have the option of sending a file to Vedit? For this feature I will have to install Vedit into the Windows registry. In other words, I will have to associate certain file types with Vedit.

Thanks again,

-peter.

Topic: Re: Reading .asp files in Netscape. (4 of 7), Read 22 times
Date: Monday, August 23, 2004 01:25 PM

At 01:17 PM 8/23/2004, you wrote:
>I am in the process of upgrading to Win/2K. Do I understand it correctly: I will no longer have the option of sending a file to Vedit? For this feature I will have to install Vedit into the Windows registry. In other words, I will have to associate certain file types with Vedit.

No, as described a few days ago, the next release of VEDIT will have the "Open with VEDIT" function properly implemented.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Reading .asp files in Netscape. (5 of 7), Read 22 times
Date: Monday, August 23, 2004 03:19 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:17:00 -0400, Peter Rejto wrote:

>I am in the process of upgrading to Win/2K. Do I understand it
>correctly: I will no longer have the option of sending a file
>to Vedit?

Of course you have this option under W2k too!

And additionally the upcoming function "Open with VEDIT" Ted mentioned
two hours ago.

Christian

Topic: Reading .asp files in Netscape. (6 of 7), Read 20 times
Date: Monday, August 23, 2004 09:01 PM

On 8/23/2004 1:17:39 PM, Peter Rejto wrote:
>Thanks Ian,
>
>My friends are telling me that
>Mozilla is very close to
>Netscape. I upgraded to
>Netscape 7.00 and my problem
>got solved.
>

Peter,

It is true that mozilla is based on the Netscape code, but the programs have diverged, although preferences etc remain similar.

I was a keen user of Netscape 4, but it lost the plot after this.

The current Netscape (since takeover by AOL) is too intrusive for me. A review of browsers in one of our most popular computer magazines described Netscape as "infesting" your system. Unless you are an AOL user I wouldn't touch it.

I note from one of your other posts that you are upgrading to Win2K. This is a good OS, but you may find a lot of apps don't work. XP Pro is probably a better bet.

Either way, as a Win98 user, you will find either a bit of a culture shock. There is a long learning curve to XP. You should consider a dual boot system.

Topic: Re: Reading .asp files in Netscape. (7 of 7), Read 19 times
Date: Monday, August 23, 2004 09:31 PM

At 09:02 PM 8/23/2004, you wrote:
>I note from one of your other posts that you are upgrading to Win2K. This is a good OS, but you may find a lot of apps don't work. XP Pro is probably a better bet.
>
>Either way, as a Win98 user, you will find either a bit of a culture shock. There is a long learning curve to XP. You should consider a dual boot system.

Yes, WinXP is a much better bet; especially now that Service Pack 2 (SP2) is out. While too technical for here, SP2 isn't just a bunch of fixes, but a fundamental change (improvement) in how Windows (and especially IE) now use memory management features to greatly improve Windows/IE security. For example, "buffer overflow" bugs are now unlikely to cause security issues - buffer space and stack space can no longer execute programs. For details, see

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2mempr.mspx

Ted.