Topic: Temp file directory setting (1 of 4), Read 15 times
Conf: VEDIT Beta Test
Date: Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:25 AM

The new temp file directory setting
{CONFIG, File handling, Temp file directory}
is not very logical in Windows XP.
It assumes that drives D, E, F etc, are local hard disks and tries to store temp files there. However, on Windows XP, CD and DVD drives are put into drive letters D, E etc.

For example, I have CD-RW drive as drive D and DVD drive as E. The logical hard drive letters are C, F, G and H. So, If I try to use this setting and then open a file on CD, Vedit tries to store temp files into CD, which is not very useful even if the CD is writable.

I think CD drives should be handled as external drives, i.e. store the temp files on vedit\temp directory.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Temp file directory setting (2 of 4), Read 14 times
Date: Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:43 AM

At 11:25 AM 3/9/2006, you wrote:
>The new temp file directory setting
>{CONFIG, File handling, Temp file directory}
>is not very logical in Windows XP.
>It assumes that drives D, E, F etc, are local hard disks and tries to store temp files there. However, on Windows XP, CD and DVD drives are put into drive letters D, E etc.
>
>For example, I have CD-RW drive as drive D and DVD drive as E. The logical hard drive letters are C, F, G and H. So, If I try to use this setting and then open a file on CD, Vedit tries to store temp files into CD, which is not very useful even if the CD is writable.

First of all, CD/DVD drive with read-only media are no problem as VEDIT uses no temp file in browse-only mode.

I assumed (evidently incorrectly) that anyone with multiple HD always created them as C:, D:, E:, etc, and moved the CD/DVD drive(s) to higher
letters. The pre-built computers with multiple (logical) HD that I have seen were set up this way. It is easy in WinXP to change the drive letters.

For version 6.20 I will try to query Windows to determine what try of drive each letter is. I left values "2" and "3" reserved for this purpose.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Temp file directory setting (3 of 4), Read 15 times
Date: Friday, March 10, 2006 07:51 AM

On 3/9/2006 11:43:19 AM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>First of all, CD/DVD drive with read-only media are no
>problem as VEDIT uses no temp file in browse-only mode.

Yes, unfortunately that is true with Windows XP, since XP does not have packet write drivers. Windows-98 and NT4 did have packet drivers, and so it was possible to use CD-RW drive just like a floppy disk. You could edit a file on CD-RW disk directly.

I have heard that it is possible to add packet write drivers for Windows-XP, too, but I have not been able to find one for my CD-RW drive (LG).

>
> I assumed (evidently incorrectly) that anyone with
> multiple HD always created them as C:, D:, E:, etc, and
> moved the CD/DVD drive(s) to higher letters.
> The pre-built computers with multiple (logical)
> HD that I have seen were set up this way.
> It is easy in WinXP to change the drive letters.

Windows XP sets CD-drives to drive letters D, E etc. by default. (Both my home computer and work computer have CD drives set like that.)

It is difficult to change the drive letters later, when software has already been installed, since all shortcuts, file references, BAT files etc. would stop working.

>
> For version 6.20 I will try to query Windows to determine
> what try of drive each letter is. I left values "2" and "3"
> reserved for this purpose.

Or maybe just have a list of drive letters (or numbers) that are to be handled as local hard disks. Or just two values to define a range. But anyway, that is not so important thing, since CD drivers usually are read only as you said.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Temp file directory setting (4 of 4), Read 14 times
Date: Friday, March 10, 2006 02:48 PM

At 07:52 AM 3/10/2006, you wrote:
>Or maybe just have a list of drive letters (or numbers) that are to be handled as local hard disks. Or just two values to define a range. But anyway, that is not so important thing, since CD drivers usually are read only as you said.

I am finishing up details for a new 6.15 and I changed the (renamed) {CONFIG, File handling, Use temp file directory} default value from "4" to "5" on the assumption that drive D: is either a HD or a read-only CD/DVD.

I now see that if drive D: were a R/W CD/DVD, a value of "5" is not good as it would attempt to place the temp files on the CD/DVD which is not effecient.

All suggestions and thoughts on this are welcome.
(Probably safer to go back to "4".)

Ted.