Topic: Re: Vedit for Linux (1 of 2), Read 154 times
Conf: VEDIT Sales and Info
Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 03:00 AM

Ted, I am probably one of your original Vedit users, going back to around 1979 or so. I had an Exidy Sorcerer at the time. I will never forget the astounding leap in useability I found at my fingertips when I cranked up Vedit after having to use that blasted ED program for DOS!

And now I am in exactly the same fix with Linux. I have tons of text files I need to modify, but VI is much like ED used to be, only much more arcane. I would rather FTP my files to my desk top, edit them there, then FTP them back to the server instead of using VI! 'ZZ' to save a file? Who ever thunk that one up??

With more and more people jumping in voluntarily, and others thrown in because of necessity, I think you are missing an opportunity here. If Vedit were available for Linux, I would buy it in the blink of an eye.

To be honest, for quick and dirty stuff on Windows, I use Notepad most of the time and it does the job. But you have a whole new marketplace scratching at your door, and you are setting it to low priority? I don't think you have anything like Notepad on Linux to even compete with you.

Step back and look around, pardner. Server administration on Linux boxes is a growth market right now. Many desktops are going to Linux as well. The only server admins that like Windows servers are those that like the security of knowing they are needed for reboots.

You don't have to conquer the Unix world overnight, you know. Just give us an alternative on Linux that is not painful to use!

Thanks for listening....

Rich Zuchowski

Topic: Re: Vedit for Linux (2 of 2), Read 189 times
Conf: VEDIT Sales and Info
Date: Thursday, February 27, 2003 09:11 PM

At 03:01 AM 2/26/2003, you wrote:
>To be honest, for quick and dirty stuff on Windows, I use Notepad most of the time and it does the job. But you have a whole new marketplace scratching at your door, and you are setting it to low priority? I don't think you have anything like Notepad on Linux to even compete with you.

I recall that Suse Linux 8.0 had 5 or 6 editors in addition to vi and emacs. I found some to be quite acceptable and much more capable that Notepad. There is more on our "to do" list for the Windows version than we can finish this year.

>Step back and look around, pardner. Server administration on Linux boxes is a growth market right now.

Yes, we run six Linux servers ourselves for our SpamStopsHere service.

>Many desktops are going to Linux as well.

I don't think so. Just a few techies who aren't going to pay $80+ just for an editor. Corporate customers are our bread-and-butter and not a single corporate customer has asked for a Linux version.

Sorry, but its seems unlikely that we will be working on a Linux version this year.

Ted.