Topic: V-SPELL (1 of 4), Read 91 times
Conf: VEDIT Sales and Info
Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 12:31 PM

Hi, I've read what the VE6 PDF manual has regarding V-SPELL and wondered if there is any additional information, perhaps the manual available?

While the website turns up little V-SPELL info with a search I did find a little from the advertisements gallery. Namely that it's DOS based, stand alone and apparently stagnant.

While this isn't a problem for me I would like to point out there is no apparent way to order the product.

I would like to read the manual though, to get a complete grasp of how I will need to interact with it both as a user and perhaps with other programs.

John

Topic: Re: V-SPELL (2 of 4), Read 118 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 03:55 PM

At 12:31 PM 4/20/2004, you wrote:
>Hi, I've read what the VE6 PDF manual has regarding V-SPELL and wondered if there is any additional information, perhaps the manual available?
>
>While the website turns up little V-SPELL info with a search I did find a little from the advertisements gallery. Namely that it's DOS based, stand alone and apparently stagnant.
>
>While this isn't a problem for me I would like to point out there is no apparent way to order the product.
>
>I would like to read the manual though, to get a complete grasp of how I will need to interact with it both as a user and perhaps with other programs.

John:

I have attached the VS-PROD.ZIP file to an email sent directly to you. Hopefully the file will also be downloadable from this User Forum. If V-SPELL works well for you, please purchase it for $19 by contacting the sales department.

Ted.

VS-PROD.ZIP (174KB)

Topic: Re: V-SPELL (3 of 4), Read 110 times
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 08:39 AM

Thanks!

Couple questions that I wasn't clear on after reading the manual:

- Will long paths/filenames be any factor?
- Can a supplemental dictionary be specified during checking? EG: wanting to add to multiple dictionaries
- Can cursor keys be used to navigate menus or just space and first letter?
- Any variations to command line parms other than none or filename to check? EG: dictionary selection, lookup, single words, etc.

IE: I am thinking it could be useful to pass simply a single word for lookup. Sort of a manual context sensitive ability. Quite often I am aware problem words of mine and know a bulk of the spelling otherwise is correct.

- Can VS realistically save time with spelling with mostly non-text documents? EG: source code or HTML

It sounds like it could be a little cumbersome to switch checking of radically different documents. IE: If a configuration for effective C source has been created there will be 'prep time' in order to switch to a configuration which is effective for HTML.

- John

Topic: Re: V-SPELL (4 of 4), Read 121 times
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 09:37 AM

At 08:39 AM 4/21/2004, you wrote:

>Couple questions that I wasn't clear on after reading the manual:

John:

Sorry, but we really are not prepared to answer Q about V-SPELL; that is why we discontinued it.

>- Will long paths/filenames be any factor?

Long filenames will only be supported when running V-SPELL from within VEDIT, because VEDIT can convert long filenames to short filenames when it shells out.

>- Can a supplemental dictionary be specified during checking? EG: wanting to add to multiple dictionaries

You can specify the supplemental dictionary in the command (shell) line.

>- Can cursor keys be used to navigate menus or just space and first letter?

Right and left work.

>- Any variations to command line parms other than none or filename to check? EG: dictionary selection, lookup, single words, etc.
>
>IE: I am thinking it could be useful to pass simply a single word for lookup. Sort of a manual context sensitive ability. Quite often I am aware problem words of mine and know a bulk of the spelling otherwise is correct.

Sorry, I don't have quick answers for all this.

>- Can VS realistically save time with spelling with mostly non-text documents? EG: source code or HTML

I don't find it useful for such, so probably not.

>It sounds like it could be a little cumbersome to switch checking of radically different documents. IE: If a configuration for effective C source has been created there will be 'prep time' in order to switch to a configuration which is effective for HTML.

Probably correct.

Again, sorry, but V-SPELL is unsupported. We will not provide any support or answer any further questions about it.

Ted.

Ted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Green (ted@...) Greenview Data, Inc.
Web: www.... PO Box 1586, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Tel: (734) 996-1300 Fax: (734) 996-1308 VEDIT - Text/Data/Binary Editor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spam problems? www.SpamStopsHere.com blocks 99% of spam for businesses.