Topic: 64 vs 32 (1 of 3), Read 76 times
Conf: VEDIT Sales and Info
Date: Friday, November 04, 2005 09:15 PM

Are there any subtle differences between the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions? I know the 64 version has greater capabilities as far as file size etc. Is there a performance trade off to gain this ability? The bottom line is; if you have both versions, is there any reason to prefer one over the other? I think I'm going to evolve one version with different settings etc. The memory footprint is so small with vedit I run both at the same time. I can't tell any difference in the way they perform.

Vedit est optime. CodeWright est mortuus.

Topic: 64 vs 32 (2 of 3), Read 83 times
Date: Friday, November 04, 2005 09:23 PM

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:15:22 -0500 GMT, Paul Breen wrote:

> Is there a performance trade off to gain this ability?

My benchmarks have shown VPW64.EXE slightly slower. Not enough to
cause me to choose one over the other however all my shorcuts that I
use are pointed to VPW.EXE for no specific reason.

--
John

Topic: Re: 64 vs 32 (3 of 3), Read 88 times
Date: Saturday, November 05, 2005 11:20 AM

At 09:15 PM 11/4/2005, you wrote:
>Are there any subtle differences between the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions? I know the 64 version has greater capabilities as far as file size etc. Is there a performance trade off to gain this ability? The bottom line is; if you have both versions, is there any reason to prefer one over the other? I think I'm going to evolve one version with different settings etc. The memory footprint is so small with vedit I run both at the same time. I can't tell any difference in the way they perform.

The 64-bit version is about 5% slower because we are using a 32-bit CPU to perform 64-bit operations.

If desired you can rename vpw64.exe to vpw.exe (after either renaming
vpw.exe to vpw32.exe or deleting it).

A future installation will ask whether the 32-bit or 64-bit should be
the primary version.

Ted.