Topic: Vedit for Intel Mac? (1 of 2), Read 54 times
Conf: VEDIT Sales and Info
Date: Thursday, August 10, 2006 07:41 AM

Now that Apple has moved to use Intel processors, it would be possible to port Vedit to Mac. So, are there any plans for that?

I believe there are not so many editors available for Mac as there are for Windows and Linux. In addition, there are not many programs available for Intel Mac in general. Existing Mac programs have to be run on PowerPC emulator, which makes them slow.

Most of time, when I recommend Vedit to somebody, the first argument against Vedit is that Vedit is only available for Windows environment. People want to use the same editor in Linux, Mac etc. even if they use those OS's only occasionally. Thus, creating versions of Vedit for other OS's might increase the sales of Windows version, too.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Vedit for Intel Mac? (2 of 2), Read 65 times
Conf: VEDIT Sales and Info
Date: Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:34 AM

At 07:41 AM 8/10/2006, you wrote:
>Now that Apple has moved to use Intel processors, it would be possible to port Vedit to Mac. So, are there any plans for that?

Given our other priorities and that neither Tom nor I has ever touched a Mac, the answer is no. (Or at least that Tom and I won't be developing it.)
Sorry.

I suspect we will move VEDIT to open source within 5 years, and cannot predict what might happen then.

Ted.