Topic: New Version of VEDIT? (1 of 8), Read 186 times
Conf: VEDIT Sales and Info
Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:01 PM

Given your response to another post that VEDIT may become open source in a few years, is VEDIT v7 under development?

Topic: Re: New Version of VEDIT? (2 of 8), Read 195 times
Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 06:19 PM

At 10:02 PM 3/27/2007, you wrote:
>Given your response to another post that VEDIT may become open source in a few years, is VEDIT v7 under development?

No, the development for VEDIT 6.2 is done, but nothing past that. We are finding it very difficult to get back to basic VEDIT development - Tom Burt works full time on VEDIT, but has been spending 100% of his time the past 6 months on EBCDIC conversion jobs. I even hired another programmer (Tony Taylor) for the EBCDIC jobs, but both have been maxed out lately.

As you know, the SpamStopsHere.com business takes all my time due to its rapid growth, money-raising to grow it even more rapidly, a new built-to-spec office space, etc. Also, my wife and I started a charity to raise money for Hepatitis C research: www.hepcfund.org.

As you may know, the core of VEDIT is written in assembly language, which is difficult on which to train new programmers and not portable. My goal is to hire two C programmers later this year to rewrite VEDIT in C. Then, we will decide whether to consider selling and supporting VEDIT as-is, or making it an open source project.

Ted.

Topic: Re: New Version of VEDIT? (3 of 8), Read 194 times
Date: Saturday, April 07, 2007 02:37 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I understand your concern about lack of assembly programmers, but I wonder if the conversion to C will impact the performance of VEDIT, which is now probably the best editor available in terms of handling large files very fast.

Topic: Re: New Version of VEDIT? (4 of 8), Read 205 times
Date: Monday, April 09, 2007 04:00 PM

At 02:37 PM 4/7/2007, you wrote:
>From: "Jeff Ryman"
>
>Thanks for the explanation. I understand your concern about lack of assembly programmers, but I wonder if the conversion to C will impact the performance of VEDIT, which is now probably the best editor available in terms of handling large files very fast.

No, I don't think performance will take a hit.
Other editors let Windows virtualize memory and this is the bootleneck.
VEDIT does its own memory management and always will.

Ted.

Topic: Re: New Version of VEDIT? (5 of 8), Read 180 times
Date: Monday, April 23, 2007 11:55 AM

On 3/28/2007 6:19:33 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>We are finding it very difficult to get back to basic
>VEDIT development - Tom Burt works full time on VEDIT, but
>has been spending 100% of his time the past 6 months on
>EBCDIC conversion jobs. I even hired another programmer (Tony
>Taylor) for the EBCDIC jobs, but both have been maxed out
>lately.

If it is difficult to find Assembly programmers, the why not hire another person for EBCDIC conversion jobs and let Tom to concentrate in developing Vedit?

>
>As you may know, the core of VEDIT is written in assembly
>language, which is difficult on which to train new
>programmers and not portable.
>My goal is to hire two C programmers later this year to
>rewrite VEDIT in C.

One of the main advantages of Vedit have been the speed and compact size that result from Assembly coding. I am afraid those will be lost if Vedit is rewritten in C. And further, rewriting would be much the same as developing a new program, thus much losing the 30 years of development and optimizing.

On the other hand, most enhancements needed are related to the user interface (e.g. fully configurable menu system, more toolbars, side panels, window splitter etc.). Those are already written in C. Enhanced printing functions could be in C, too.

There are some things that require changing the Assembly code, too. Perhaps the most important would be the Unicode support. More flexible color system would probably require changing the core code, too. (But perhaps something could be done without Assembly coding, such as option to change palette colors.)

If Vedit is rewritten in C, then I hope at least the most time critical functions, such as searching, will be still Assembly routines. (You can create C routines for other hardware environments, if needed.) This way, you could retain much of the speed, even if not the compactness.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: New Version of VEDIT? (6 of 8), Read 204 times
Date: Monday, April 23, 2007 08:29 PM

At 11:55 AM 4/23/2007, you wrote:
>If Vedit is rewritten in C, then I hope at least the most time critical functions, such as searching, will be still Assembly routines. (You can create C routines for other hardware environments, if needed.) This way, you could retain much of the speed, even if not the compactness.

I am certainly taking all these concerns into account. A mostly C-program with a few critical ASM sections is certainly a likelyhood. Our ancient old V-SPELL spelling corrector was written that way - 99% C, 1% assembly.

Ted.

Topic: Re: New Version of VEDIT? (7 of 8), Read 146 times
Date: Friday, September 07, 2007 07:46 AM

On 3/28/2007 6:19:33 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>No, the development for VEDIT 6.2 is done, but nothing past
>that. We are finding it very difficult to get back to basic
>VEDIT development - Tom Burt works full time on VEDIT, but
>has been spending 100% of his time the past 6 months on
>EBCDIC conversion jobs. I even hired another programmer (Tony
>Taylor) for the EBCDIC jobs, but both have been maxed out
>lately.

When is Vedit 6.2 going to be released?
Does it have anything new other than finished FTP support?

At least it could include my new Wildfilew.vdm, ctags.vdm and utags.vdm macros.

Is the "project directory" internal value implemented?
I would like to use this in wildfilew.vdm (option to save settings and search results project by project basis).
Compiler support could use project directory, too.

How about the new options for File Selector tabs?
(e.g. option to display either full path or filename only, this should be quite simple to implement).

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: New Version of VEDIT? (8 of 8), Read 110 times
Date: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:06 PM

I would like to echo Pauli's comment that I have been a long-time fan of Vedit and I would sincerely like for Vedit's development to continue. I hope you can find a way to put Tom into full-time development.

Unicode support and user interface changes are critical.

Grant Blank