Topic: Clean ASCII - can vedit do this ? (1 of 4), Read 59 times
Conf: VEDIT Sales and Info
Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 02:29 PM

We send big files of ascii characters to a printer.

The ascii must arrive at the printer totally virginal, no page breaks, margins, headers/footers, line numbers, etc.

Can Vedit do this?

The files might be 1000 (one thou) lines long, with each line maybe 100 characters.

Seems that some text editors throw in stuff even if margins are zero and headers/footers are turned off.

Thanks

Topic: Re: Clean ASCII - can vedit do this ? (2 of 4), Read 60 times
Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 03:39 PM

At 03:11 PM 2/19/2008, you wrote:
>From: "scan reg"
>
>We send big files of ascii characters to a printer.
>
>The ascii must arrive at the printer totally virginal, no page breaks, margins, headers/footers, line numbers, etc.
>
>Can Vedit do this?
>
>The files might be 1000 (one thou) lines long, with each line maybe 100 characters.
>
>Seems that some text editors throw in stuff even if margins are zero and headers/footers are turned off.

The Windows version of VEDIT comes "close" if you configure your printer in Windows as a "Generic text" printer. The Windows driver still tends to translate any special control chars (e.g. to turn a generic printer's bold on/off, etc.)

The DOS version of VEDIT certainly can do this, but the DOS version does not run well in Windows 2000/XP/Vista.

If your printer is local and configure to e.g. LPT1:, from a DOS box you can simply copy the file to LPT1:. E.g.

copy file001.prn lpt1:

Ted.

Topic: Clean ASCII - can vedit do this ? (3 of 4), Read 61 times
Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 03:56 PM

Please have a look at
http://webboard.vedit.com/read?37064,35

It's a thread you started in the conference "Printing, Word processing" in 2007.

Christian

Topic: Clean ASCII - can vedit do this ? (4 of 4), Read 64 times
Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:03 PM

I can't stand it. I forgot about that. My apology....geez