Topic: Search and Edit selected lines within a file (1 of 2), Read 21 times
Conf: VEDIT Suggestions
Date: Thursday, June 03, 2004 08:00 PM

This feature is derived from the KEDIT ALL/MORE/LESS commands. (Helpful only if you know KEDIT.)

ALL COMMAND: Enter a search string and have only matching lines displayed - changes made to the displayed lines are posted back to the original file.

Additional features:
MORE COMMAND: adds additional lines to the lines displayed by the ALL COMMAND.

LESS COMMAND: Search the displayed lines and HIDE any lines matching the search string.

Note: I seem to remember a macro to do a part of this, but it copied the selected lines into a text buffer - any changes made to the text buffer were not tracked back into the source file.

Topic: Re: Search and Edit selected lines within a file (2 of 2), Read 15 times
Conf: VEDIT Suggestions
Date: Friday, June 04, 2004 12:33 PM

At 08:00 PM 6/3/2004, you wrote:
>This feature is derived from the KEDIT ALL/MORE/LESS commands. (Helpful only if you know KEDIT.)
>
>ALL COMMAND: Enter a search string and have only matching lines displayed - changes made to the displayed lines are posted back to the original file.

I have been aware of these KEDIT features since the 80's.
They would be useful, but are very difficult to implement in VEDIT which doesn't load the entire file into memory as does KEDIT.

I still plan on completely redesigning VEDIT's virtual memory management; perhaps I can then implement such features in reasonably sized file, e.g.
file under 20 megs.

Ted.

Ted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Green (ted@...) Greenview Data, Inc.
Web: www.... PO Box 1586, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Tel: (734) 996-1300 Fax: (734) 996-1308 VEDIT - Text/Data/Binary Editor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.SpamStopsHere.com - Ranked #1 accuracy by Network Computing Magazine.