Topic: Search Function (1 of 5), Read 34 times, 1 File Attachment
Conf: VEDIT Suggestions
Date: Friday, July 09, 2004 04:35 PM

I have been using VEDIT for the past 8 - 9 years starting from version 5... to current version. It's a wonderful product.

I used VEDIT in conjunction with my mainframe tasks. And there is a nice feature in ISPF which would benefit VEDIT users like me.

The new feature would be the highlighting of all the matching strings (which could be turned on/off, color set up thru the config menu) in the screen for the string being searched. Meaning the search function will still work normally as it is currently with the cursor being positioned in the first occurrence from the original cursor position while at the same time the rest of the matching strings are also highlighted. This feature will save me from having to do search again to find the next occurrence since I will be able to see all the matching strings in the screen at a glance.

Thanks

Ooops! I need to add that the matching strings remains highlighted whether I page up or down and can only be turned off (the highlighting) using a reset command or something.

Thanks again.

jpeg file

Topic: Re: Search Function (2 of 5), Read 25 times
Date: Sunday, July 11, 2004 10:48 AM

At 04:25 PM 7/9/2004, you wrote:
>I used VEDIT in conjunction with my mainframe tasks. And there is a nice feature in ISPF which would benefit VEDIT users like me.

This has been one of the most frequently mentioned suggestions for many years. I just have not seen any easy way to implement this within VEDIT architecture. However, I am well aware of it.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Search Function (3 of 5), Read 26 times
Date: Sunday, July 11, 2004 01:25 PM

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:48:00 -0400, Ted Green wrote:

>At 04:25 PM 7/9/2004, Tony Gaw wrote:
>And there is a nice
>feature in ISPF which would benefit VEDIT users like me.
>
>This has been one of the most frequently mentioned suggestions
>for many years. I just have not seen any easy way to implement
>this within VEDIT architecture.

Isn't that "only" a special case of Syntax Highlighting?

IIRC Pauli implemented a temporary highlighting of a search string in
one of his macros.

Christian

Topic: Re: Search Function (4 of 5), Read 26 times
Date: Monday, July 12, 2004 11:56 AM

At 01:26 PM 7/11/2004, you wrote:

>Isn't that "only" a special case of Syntax Highlighting?
>
>IIRC Pauli implemented a temporary highlighting of a search string in
>one of his macros.

I suppose that simple searches could be handles with syntax highlighting, but this would not work for pattern matching and regular expressions.

I suppose a separate search function could be implemented for this; it would require some changes to the syntax highlighting code, but they would probably be minor.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Search Function (5 of 5), Read 28 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 12:47 PM

On 7/12/2004 11:56:13 AM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>I suppose that simple searches
>could be handles with syntax
>highlighting, but this would
>not work for pattern matching
>and regular expressions.

You can highlight the searched word by running the enclosed macro after doing a search. But, as mentioned, it does not work in all cases, for example if the searched string is part of longer word.

Maybe in a future Vedit version, there is more versatile coloring system, that could be used for other things than just syntax highlight. (Perhaps a color attribute for each character?). It would be useful for output generated by macros, too (display texts with different colors).

--
Pauli

Highlight searched words in text file