Topic: Scrolling with scrollbars (1 of 4), Read 10 times
Conf: VEDIT Suggestions
Date: Monday, March 10, 2008 11:35 AM

The scrollbars on Vedit do not work the same way as in all other Windows applications. When vertical scrollbar is moved, it moves cursor instead of scrolling the screen.
I wonder if it could be changed to work the same way as in other applications?

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Scrolling with scrollbars (2 of 4), Read 9 times
Date: Monday, March 10, 2008 12:03 PM

At 11:39 AM 3/10/2008, you wrote:
>From: "Pauli Lindgren"
>
>The scrollbars on Vedit do not work the same way as in all other Windows applications. When vertical scrollbar is moved, it moves cursor instead of scrolling the screen.
>I wonder if it could be changed to work the same way as in other applications?

I was thinking of how to implement that last night while walking through the snow. Really!

VEDIT currently always assumes that the edit position is on the screen; therefore scrolling is the same as Page Up/Down which moves the edit position.

I am currently working very hard to support more than 255 chars per line (and more than 255 lines while I am at it). I have already spent over 50 hours on this last week as it involves changing about 500 lines of ASM code. (Once done I know I will have to debug it.) This is forcing me to reexamine code I have not looked at in many (10+) years, including all the windows and scrolling and scrollbar code.

So, no promises, but I would like to implement this as an option.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Scrolling with scrollbars (3 of 4), Read 9 times
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 03:35 AM

On 3/10/2008 12:03:40 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>VEDIT currently always assumes that the edit position is on
>the screen; therefore scrolling is the same as Page
>Up/Down which moves the edit position.

I guess scrollbar could work the same way as [SCROLL UP] and [SCROLL DOWN] (Alt-Up, Alt-Down), i.e. the screen scrolls but cursor stays on the same position until it reaches the edge of screen.

Of course it would be nicer if the scrolling would be smooth (pixel by pixel), as in web browsers.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Scrolling with scrollbars (4 of 4), Read 9 times
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 09:58 AM

At 03:36 AM 3/11/2008, you wrote:
>From: "Pauli Lindgren"
>
>On 3/10/2008 12:03:40 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>>
>>VEDIT currently always assumes that the edit position is on
>>the screen; therefore scrolling is the same as Page
>>Up/Down which moves the edit position.
>
>I guess scrollbar could work the same way as [SCROLL UP] and [SCROLL DOWN] (Alt-Up, Alt-Down), i.e. the screen scrolls but cursor stays on the same position until it reaches the edge of screen.

OK. I was wondering if this would be a mouse-only function.

>Of course it would be nicer if the scrolling would be smooth (pixel by pixel), as in web browsers.

I thought we had implemented that, but I guess not. Probably tried to implement it, but couldn't get it debugged.

Ted.