Topic: Install in 'correct' directory/folder (1 of 8), Read 24 times
Conf: VEDIT Suggestions
Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 08:59 AM

I just installed the latest version of VEdit (6.15.3) on a Windows 7 (64-bit) system. I noticed that the default installation folder is c:\vedit. I think the designation of a "standard" folder for programs (formerly C:\Program Files, now either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)) makes great sense, and would like to see VEdit "conform" to these standards (I always manually insert the "correct" folder, but would like to see this be the default).

If this change is implemented, some consideration needs to be given to the new (to me) creation of two Program Files folders for 64-bit systems. I presume that a 64-bit version of VEdit would (by default) install in Program Files, while the 32-bit version, running on a 64-bit OS, would install on Program Files (x86) (not a particularly "nice" folder name, but that's another issue).

Bob Schor

Topic: Re: Install in 'correct' directory/folder (2 of 8), Read 27 times
Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 04:42 PM

At 09:03 AM 11/13/2009, you wrote:
>From: "Bob Schor" (bschor@...) I just installed the latest version of VEdit (6.15.3) on a Windows 7 (64-bit) system. I noticed that the default installation folder is c:\vedit. I think the designation of a "standard" folder for programs (formerly C:\Program Files, now either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)) makes great sense, and would like to see VEdit "conform" to these standards (I always manually insert the "correct" folder, but would like to see this be the default).

While a future install program will give this option with radio buttons, I find that the vast majority of VEDIT users prefer the c:\vedit directory for quicker access. Also most of our VEDIT sales now are for the EBCDIC conversion packages which work much better in c:\vedit; the stupid space in "Program files" always throws customer's batch files off. (If it were ProgramFiles without a space, I would have conformed a long time ago, but with it I never will.)

"MS standard" is almost an oxymoron - it changes with every version. "My Documents" is now "Documents", etc, etc. VEDIT also does not "conform" by using its vedit.ini file instead of only the registry, which many customers really appreciate.

Despite my ranting about MS, I do find Windows 7 to be a huge improvement over Vista and I will switch to it from XP once a few more VEDIT problems are fixed. I am working every day on fixing various VEDIT problems under Vista/Win7, currently finishing up the HTML help system.

>If this change is implemented, some consideration needs to be given to the new (to me) creation of two Program Files folders for 64-bit systems. I presume that a 64-bit version of VEdit would (by default) install in Program Files, while the 32-bit version, running on a 64-bit OS, would install on Program Files (x86) (not a particularly "nice" folder name, but that's another issue).

I have long had vpw.exe and vpw64.exe files in the same directory and that does not seem to be a problem. If you want drastically different configurations for the 32 and 64 bit versions, you can install them in different directories.

BTW - I should have a reasonably usable veditpw.chm help file available next week.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Install in 'correct' directory/folder (3 of 8), Read 29 times
Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 05:12 PM

On 11/13/2009 4:42:59 PM, Ted Green wrote:

>(If it were ProgramFiles
>without a space, I would have
>conformed a long time ago, but
>with it I never will.)

Installing Vedit in Program Files, under Vista or Windows 7 is not a good idea.

Vedit stores and updates files in its program directory "vedit.ini" "vedit.cfg" and macros.

Virtualisation prevents this, and creates lots of problems.

>"MS standard" is almost an
>oxymoron - it changes with
>every version. "My Documents"
>is now "Documents", etc, etc.
>VEDIT also does not "conform"
>by using its vedit.ini file
>instead of only the registry,
>which many customers really
>appreciate.

The Virtualisation problem can be avoided by storing vedit.ini etc in the users profile directory. This would be a good idea in any event, as this would facilitate multi-user computers. Currently vedit assumes a single user per computer.

>Despite my ranting about MS, I
>do find Windows 7 to be a huge
>improvement over Vista and I
>will switch to it from XP once
>a few more VEDIT problems are
>fixed. I am working every day
>on fixing various VEDIT
>problems under Vista/Win7,
>currently finishing up the
>HTML help system.
>
>>If this change is implemented, some consideration needs to be given to the new (to me) creation of two Program Files folders for 64-bit systems. I presume that a 64-bit version of VEdit would (by default) install in Program Files, while the 32-bit version, running on a 64-bit OS, would install on Program Files (x86) (not a particularly "nice" folder name, but that's another issue).
>
>I have long had vpw.exe and
>vpw64.exe files in the same
>directory and that does not
>seem to be a problem. If you
>want drastically different
>configurations for the 32 and
>64 bit versions, you can
>install them in different
>directories.

Unless I am mistaken vpw64.exe is still a 32 bit program, which supports longer files.

A full 64 bit program installed on a 64 bit version of windows would run into different issues.

Topic: Re: Install in 'correct' directory/folder (4 of 8), Read 30 times
Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 08:23 PM

At 05:16 PM 11/13/2009, you wrote:

>The Virtualisation problem can be avoided by storing vedit.ini etc in the users profile directory. This would be a good idea in any event, as this would facilitate multi-user computers. Currently vedit assumes a single user per computer.

Good point. Once the vedit.ini is found, it specifies all other directories, either explicitly or using environment variables.

>Unless I am mistaken vpw64.exe is still a 32 bit program, which supports longer files.

That is correct.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Install in 'correct' directory/folder (6 of 8), Read 27 times
Date: Monday, November 16, 2009 05:55 AM

On 11/13/2009 5:12:39 PM, Ian Binnie wrote:
>
>The Virtualisation problem can be
>avoided by storing vedit.ini etc in the
>users profile directory. This would be a
>good idea in any event, as this would
>facilitate multi-user computers.
>Currently vedit assumes a single user
>per computer.

For me, PC is a personal computer, but I guess storing vedit.ini into user profile might be useful to someone.

But I think only vedit.ini should be stored there. It would then specify where the other files are stored.

I assume the path to user profile would be something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\plindgre\Application Data\vedit\vedit.ini
I do not want to dig my files from such a place.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Install in 'correct' directory/folder (5 of 8), Read 27 times
Date: Monday, November 16, 2009 05:42 AM

On 11/13/2009 4:42:59 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>While a future install program
>will give this option with
>radio buttons, I find that the
>vast majority of VEDIT users
>prefer the c:\vedit directory
>for quicker access.

Yes, at least those of us who create and edit macros want to be able to find the Vedit directory without spending ages navigating in the file system.

I have always thought that Program Files folder is a bad idea. It increases the length of pathname, and the space character causes problems. And causes confusion when written in a text like here. Program Files (x86) is even worse. Those should only be used if they contain no files that are of user interest.

And installing applications in C drive is not god idea anyway. In my home computer, I have reserved C drive only for Windows. F: is for applications, G: and H: for data.

At work (at NSN) the standard is to install all work related applications (such as compilers, debuggers and editors) in directory c:\apps. ("Program files" is used mainly for Microsoft applications.) However, I have installed Vedit in d:\vedit for easier access and to avoid data loss next time the disk image is re-installed.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Install in 'correct' directory/folder (7 of 8), Read 28 times
Date: Monday, November 16, 2009 07:05 AM

On 11/16/2009 5:42:31 AM, Pauli Lindgren wrote:

>Yes, at least those of us who create and
>edit macros want to be able to find the
>Vedit directory without spending ages
>navigating in the file system.
>
>I have always thought that Program Files
>folder is a bad idea. It increases the
>length of pathname, and the space
>character causes problems. And causes
>confusion when written in a text like
>here. Program Files (x86) is even worse.
>Those should only be used if they
>contain no files that are of user
>interest.
>
>And installing applications in C drive
>is not god idea anyway. In my home
>computer, I have reserved C drive only
>for Windows. F: is for applications, G:
>and H: for data.
>
>At work (at NSN) the standard is to
>install all work related applications
>(such as compilers, debuggers and
>editors) in directory c:\apps. ("Program
>files" is used mainly for Microsoft
>applications.) However, I have installed
>Vedit in d:\vedit for easier access and
>to avoid data loss next time the disk
>image is re-installed.

I agree, and install in d:\vedit.

However you have to realise that 99% of Windows computers have only a single partition, so as a program developer I have to write programs that work for them.

Also, most home computer systems (but probably not business systems) are multi user systems, and programs have to cater for these users.

Even in my house, where we have more computers than people there are still multi user systems - unfortunately most of the others are not vedit users, but I use their accounts for maintenance.

Knowledgeable users can always force sharing of files with junctions and hardlinks which I routinely do.

Topic: Install in 'correct' directory/folder (8 of 8), Read 10 times
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 07:58 PM

On 11/13/2009 8:59:50 AM, Bob Schor wrote:
>I just installed the latest
>version of VEdit (6.15.3) on a
>Windows 7 (64-bit) system. I
>noticed that the default
>installation folder is
>c:\vedit. I think the
>designation of a "standard"
>folder for programs (formerly
>C:\Program Files, now either
>C:\Program Files or C:\Program
>Files (x86)) makes great
>sense, and would like to see
>VEdit "conform" to these
>standards (I always manually
>insert the "correct" folder,
>but would like to see this be
>the default).
>
>
>... Program Files,
>while the 32-bit version,
>running on a 64-bit OS, would
>install on Program Files (x86)
>(not a particularly "nice"
>folder name, but that's
>another issue).
>
>Bob Schor

Bob,

Thanks for the information,

>I just installed the latest
>version of VEdit (6.15.3) on a
>Windows 7 (64-bit) system.

Now I have a question: Did you succeed in shelling out to DOS, using one of the .PIF files supplied by Vedit?

I have a hunch that you did not succeed. My hunch is based on the fact that I am running Windows XP x64 and it did not work for me.

Thanks to the generous help of the Vedit gurus, Ian and Christian, I have a simple work around for this. In case you are interested, I would be glad to share it with you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

-peter