Topic: Macros for LaTeX (1 of 29), Read 80 times, 2 File Attachments
Conf: VEDIT Macro Library
Date: Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:39 PM

I have revised my collection of dialog boxes and macros that make ready VEDIT for preparing LaTeX documents. The description is in LaTeX.doc.

BTW. I have experimented with a couple of other editors over the past weeks (Emacs, VIM, Epsilon, WinEdt, Zeus, LeD ...). None of them is as flexible and as simple as Vedit regarding macros and dialog boxes. However, none of them has Vedit's ALT key problem, which in my view needs a quick solution.

Fritz

LATEX(1).ZIP (45KB)

LATEX.ZIP (44KB)

Topic: Re: Macros for LaTeX (2 of 29), Read 76 times
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2009 09:52 AM

At 06:34 AM 10/15/2009, you wrote:
>From: "Fritz Heberlein" (sla019@...) I have revised my collection of dialog boxes and macros that make ready VEDIT for preparing LaTeX documents. The description is in LaTeX.doc.
>
>BTW. I have experimented with a couple of other editors over the past weeks (Emacs, VIM, Epsilon, WinEdt, Zeus, LeD ...). None of them is as flexible and as simple as Vedit regarding macros and dialog boxes. However, none of them has Vedit's ALT key problem, which in my view needs a quick solution.

I have started working on the Alt-key problem today. Very likely it will require dumping VEDIT's custom keyboard decoding and adopting Window's built-in decoding. We made this decision back in the Win31 days when Win31 didn't have all the key combinations that the DOS version had. However, Win98 and later have most/all of the key combinations.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Macros for LaTeX (3 of 29), Read 79 times
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:30 AM

On 10/15/2009 9:52:25 AM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>I have started working on the
>Alt-key problem today. Very
>likely it will require dumping
>VEDIT's custom keyboard
>decoding and adopting Window's
>built-in decoding. We made
>this decision back in the
>Win31 days when Win31 didn't
>have all the key combinations
>that the DOS version had.
>However, Win98 and later have
>most/all of the key
>combinations.

I guess it is not necessary to support Windows 3.1 any more. (After all, Microsoft now doesn't even support the original Windows XP.)

If someone has a very old computer, they could use the DOS version. (I assume the keyboard scanning on DOS version will not be changed.)

BTW, I said earlier that I have the Alt-key problem all the time on XP. However, now it has happened a few times that the keyboard works correctly for a while, and then the problem re-appears. I have not been able to see what causes the change. But most of time the problem exists.

--
Pauli

Topic: Alt-key problem (4 of 29), Read 83 times
Date: Friday, October 16, 2009 12:10 AM

>I guess it is not necessary to support Windows 3.1 any more. (After all, Microsoft now doesn't even support the original Windows XP.)

No, we haven't in a long time.

>BTW, I said earlier that I have the Alt-key problem all the time on XP. However, now it has happened a few times that the keyboard works correctly for a while, and then the problem re-appears. I have not been able to see what causes the change. But most of time the problem exists.

I have seen it only extremely rarely on XP, but 100% of the time on Vista.

So here is the complexity in debugging this:
Tom Burt did all of his debugging with SoftIce, which was designed as a debugger for device drivers, tracing through Windows itself, etc.; it partially loads before even Windows loads and it hooks very tightly into a specific version of Windows.
We could certainly debug this with SoftIce.
Unfortunately, SoftIce was discontinued and the last version it works with is XP.

Trying to debug this with Visual Studio is nearly impossible. If I set a breakpoint for the key going down, the keyboard focus shifts to the debugger and the following is sent to the debugger and not VEDIT.

Therefore I will need to add some debugging/tracing code into VEDIT so that I can set a breakpoint after the fact and then look back what Windows messages were processed, what routines were called, etc. Doable, just very tedious.

Ted.

Topic: Alt-key problem (5 of 29), Read 88 times
Date: Friday, October 16, 2009 09:10 AM

On 10/16/2009 12:10:29 AM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>I have seen it only extremely
>rarely on XP, but 100% of the
>time on Vista.

For me, the problem appeared after installing new version of Windows XP.
One difference in this version compared to the previous one is Windows Search, with search field on taskbar. I recall this was one of the new features advertised for Vista. (I don't know if it is now included in XP, too, or was it installed separately in the disk image I installed.)

>Trying to debug this with
>Visual Studio is nearly
>impossible. If I set a
>breakpoint for the key going
>down, the keyboard focus
>shifts to the debugger and the
>following is sent to the
>debugger and not VEDIT.

Maybe some other program (or driver or whatever) is trapping key sequences now in Windows, which may break the sequence. When the problem occurs, focus shifts away from Vedit. On the other hand, the problem only seems to appear when accessing a menu item, so maybe it is related to menu instead of keyboard.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (6 of 29), Read 89 times
Date: Friday, October 16, 2009 12:43 PM

At 09:10 AM 10/16/2009, you wrote:
>From: "Pauli Lindgren" (pauli0212@...)
>
>For me, the problem appeared after installing new version of Windows XP.
>One difference in this version compared to the previous one is Windows Search, with search field on taskbar. I recall this was one of the new features advertised for Vista. (I don't know if it is now included in XP, too, or was it installed separately in the disk image I installed.)

I have installed Windows Search 4.0 on an XP test machine and unfortunately I still cannot replicate your Alt-key problem.

I have a hunch that the problem is related to a change in the WM_CHAR Windows API message. In XP the main parameter of WM_CHAR is the keyboard character which we assumed was just 8 bits. Our keyboard handler modifies the message and places flags into the upper 8 bits. The newest MSDN doco states "The WM_CHAR message uses Unicode Transformation Format (UTF)-16." Therefore, our flags might be interfering with the new API.
I will change the code to work with the new API and see if that fixes the problem.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (7 of 29), Read 92 times
Date: Friday, October 16, 2009 07:42 PM

On 10/16/2009 12:43:27 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>At 09:10 AM 10/16/2009, you
>wrote:
>>From: "Pauli Lindgren" (pauli0212@...)
>>
>I have a hunch that the
>problem is related to a change
>in the WM_CHAR Windows API
>message. In XP the main
>parameter of WM_CHAR is the
>keyboard character which we
>assumed was just 8 bits. Our
>keyboard handler modifies the
>message and places flags into
>the upper 8 bits. The newest
>MSDN doco states "The WM_CHAR
>message uses Unicode
>Transformation Format
>(UTF)-16." Therefore, our
>flags might be interfering
>with the new API.
>I will change the code to work
>with the new API and see if
>that fixes the problem.
>
Ted,

Since Pauli is using a non-English version of windows there are probably European characters which don't map to single byte UTF-16 code points.

I normally use WM_KEYDOWN (although you also need to process WM_SYSKEYDOWN for Alt).

This returns virtual key codes, and avoids translation issues.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (8 of 29), Read 85 times
Date: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 08:51 PM

I believe that the Alt-key problem is mostly fixed! I have tested it on Vista and XP; will test Windows 7 tomorrow.

You can test my fix by downloading this file to replace your existing vpw.exe:

www..../download/vpw.exe

The "fix" is not a bug fix, but a more Windows-standard way of implementing the Alt-keys. Therefore, I think it is now fully fixed on all versions of Windows and the problem will not re-occur even occasionally.

Not Yet Fixed
-------------

Alt-R does not repeat the previous menu function.
Custom keystroke macros that pop-up submenus may not yet work.

Technical Details
-----------------

Previously (by Tom Burt), a key like Alt-F was intercepted, translated into an internal code, and not sent to Windows. Instead, VEDIT processed the internal code, noted that it was defined as "[MENU]F" and then played back [MENU]F as a keystroke macro. This was done in a very complex manner by enabling the obscure Windows keyboard-hook, resetting the keyboard state and playing back: Press-Alt, Press-F, Release-F, Release-Alt. For an unknown reason, this keystroke playback does not work properly with Vista. (The "Press-Alt" is lost, possibly because the real key already is down.)

NOTE: The Alt-key problem only occurred in Vista when the "User Account Control" was enabled, which of course is the default. With it turned off, the Alt-key problem does not occur with earlier VEDIT.

My fix is to detect any Alt-keys which only pop up a menu (without actually selecting an item) and just processing them in a Windows-standard fashion. The old keyboard playback method is no longer used. (Kind of crazy in the first place.)

Since the keystroke playback itself is not yet fixed, some functions like Alt-R do not yet work. My goal is to change Alt-R (the [REPEAT LAST] function) to not use keystroke playback.

OTHER VISTA PROBLEMS
--------------------

A few people have reported VEDIT crashing every time a file is saved on Vista. We were unable to replicate this until recently - a new computer with Vista replicates the problem and I should therefore be able debug and fix it soon.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (9 of 29), Read 82 times
Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009 06:04 AM

On 10/20/2009 8:51:34 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>I believe that the Alt-key
>problem is mostly fixed! I
>have tested it on Vista and
>XP; will test Windows 7
>tomorrow.
>
>You can test my fix by
>downloading this file to
>replace your existing vpw.exe:
>
>www..../download/vpw.exe

The keyboard problem was away yesterday but now it appeared so I could test the new Vedit version.

Opening menus with Alt-key now work.
But for example the following key combinations do not work:

- F11 (User -> Bookmarks)
- F12 (User -> C function select)
- Numpad-* (User -> Text registers)
- Shift-F7 (Tools -> Check spelling)
(And any other Shift-Fxx combination in Tools menu).

It looks like any keyboard sequence that opens User or Tools menu does not work. But a sequence that opens any other menu does work (at least most of time).

I then tried to define a key sequence with Config -> Add keystroke macro. But when I press for example Alt-F, only the character f is inserted in the sequence. Thus it is not possible to define a sequence that opens a menu. (With old version, this works even when the keyboard problem is active.)

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (10 of 29), Read 81 times
Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009 08:59 AM

> Opening menus with Alt-key now work.

> But for example the following key combinations do not work:
>
> - F11 (User -> Bookmarks)
> - F12 (User -> C function select)
> - Numpad-* (User -> Text registers)
> - Shift-F7 (Tools -> Check spelling)
> (And any other Shift-Fxx combination in Tools menu).
>

Here (Win XP, SP3) the Alt-key problem seems to have disappeared. Nore
are there any problems regarding shift-Fxx combinations.

>I then tried to define a key sequence with Config -> Add keystroke
>macro. But when I press for example Alt-F, only the character f is
>inserted in the sequence. Thus it is not possible to define a sequence
>that opens a menu.

The same situation here:

Alt-5 inserts 5

But

Alt-F5 inserts Alt-F5

As I will have to type much over the next days, I may be able to confirm
or modify this preliminary result by next monday.

Fritz

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (12 of 29), Read 80 times
Date: Friday, October 23, 2009 04:42 PM

At 09:01 AM 10/22/2009, you wrote:
>From: "Fritz Heberlein" (sla019@...) > Opening menus with Alt-key now work.
>
>> But for example the following key combinations do not work:
>>
>> - F11 (User -> Bookmarks)
>> - F12 (User -> C function select)
>> - Numpad-* (User -> Text registers)
>> - Shift-F7 (Tools -> Check spelling)
>> (And any other Shift-Fxx combination in Tools menu).

I can replicate that these problems still exist under Vista, but work fine in XP. I know what the problem is.

>>I then tried to define a key sequence with Config -> Add keystroke
>>macro. But when I press for example Alt-F, only the character f is
>>inserted in the sequence. Thus it is not possible to define a sequence
>>that opens a menu.

Well, my "fix" broke this under both Vista and XP. Should be easy to fix.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (13 of 29), Read 79 times
Date: Friday, October 23, 2009 05:59 PM

At 04:45 PM 10/23/2009, vedit-macros Listmanager wrote:
>>>I then tried to define a key sequence with Config -> Add keystroke
>>>macro. But when I press for example Alt-F, only the character f is
>>>inserted in the sequence. Thus it is not possible to define a sequence
>>>that opens a menu.

This should now be fixed in a new vpw.exe located again at

www..../download/vpw.exe

I will continue working on the {USER} and {TOOL} menu problems.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (15 of 29), Read 79 times
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 05:07 AM

On 10/23/2009 5:59:20 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>>>>I then tried to define a key sequence with Config -> Add keystroke
>>>>macro. But when I press for example Alt-F, only the character f is
>>>>inserted in the sequence. Thus it is not possible to define a sequence
>>>>that opens a menu.
>
>This should now be fixed in a
>new vpw.exe located again at
>
>
>I will continue working on the
>{USER} and {TOOL} menu
>problems.

With the latest patch:

- Alt-key works for opening menus

- It is now possible to insert alt-key in the sequence when adding keystroke macro.

- But as expected, accessing User and Tools menus with keyboard shortcuts still do not work.

For example, I configured Ctrl-M to contain sequence [MENU]T1.
Pressing Ctrl-M first inserts 1 in the file and focus switches away from Vedit.
When I click on Vedit window to get focus, character T is inserted at the location clicked.

Another problem is that when I start the new vpw.exe, Windows displays warning:

"The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this program?
... This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher."

I wonder where these digital signatures should be? Is it some separate file or what?

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (16 of 29), Read 77 times
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 08:54 AM

>- But as expected, accessing User and Tools menus with keyboard
shortcuts still do not work.

>For example, I configured Ctrl-M to contain sequence [MENU]T1.
>Pressing Ctrl-M first inserts 1 in the file and focus switches away
from Vedit.

I tried to replicate this and defined

Ctrl-M [MENU]TT //insert TeX tabular frame

It works. The Tools menu pops up for a very short moment, then the
expected text is inserted.

>"he publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this
program?

Same phenomenon here.

Fritz

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (17 of 29), Read 77 times
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:28 AM

At 05:10 AM 10/27/2009, you wrote:
>With the latest patch:
>
>- Alt-key works for opening menus
>
>- It is now possible to insert alt-key in the sequence when adding keystroke macro.
>
>- But as expected, accessing User and Tools menus with keyboard shortcuts still do not work.

Yes, the {User} and {Tools} menus are still a problem. I worked on them several hours yesterday. It would be easier if I could get the keystroke playback fixed in Vista. VEDIT uses something called the WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK windows hook for this. It appears there are known problems with this under Vista:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsuidevelopment/thread/73148f03-ae0e-4fa5-8fb3-b8acc0ab651b

This comment is significant: "It is fairly large issue since it breaks any app that is using the WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK." I am going to Google and study how other worked around this "bug" in Vista.

As I mentioned, this problem only occurs when the Vista UAC is enabled.
If you turn it off, I think all keys will work fine for you.

>Another problem is that when I start the new vpw.exe, Windows displays warning:
>
>"The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this program?
>.... This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher."
>
>I wonder where these digital signatures should be? Is it some separate file or what?

I think I need to purchase a $500 "signature" to solve this.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (18 of 29), Read 76 times
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:53 PM

At 10:34 AM 10/27/2009, vedit-macros Listmanager wrote:
>From: "Ted Green" (ted@...)
>
>Yes, the {User} and {Tools} menus are still a problem. I worked on them several hours yesterday. It would be easier if I could get the keystroke playback fixed in Vista. VEDIT uses something called the WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK windows hook for this. It appears there are known problems with this under Vista:
>
>http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsuidevelopment/thread/73148f03-ae0e-4fa5-8fb3-b8acc0ab651b
>
>This comment is significant: "It is fairly large issue since it breaks any app that is using the WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK." I am going to Google and study how other worked around this "bug" in Vista.
>
>As I mentioned, this problem only occurs when the Vista UAC is enabled.
>If you turn it off, I think all keys will work fine for you.

Upon further reading it appears that the WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK windows hook basically no longer works under Vista because it is considered a security issue. A "bad" program could use the playback to hack the computer any way it liked, just as if it had complete control of the keyboard. While it appears that "safe" keys like alpha-numerics can be played back, "dangerous" keys like cannot be played back. Turning off the UAC disables this and other security features.

VB users are reporting similar problem using the Sendkey() function.

There appear to be some alternatives to using the playback hook, which I hope to try out in the next day or two. There are other ways to fix the {Tools} and {User} menu hot-keys, but if I cannot get some type of keyboard record/playback to work, it will be very difficult to get "Record/Playback quick macro" to work through dialog boxes.

It also appears that Vista allows a program greater latitude if it has a valid "certificate" which indicates that the owner is known.

Note: I am not asking for any help here, just keeping you posted.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (11 of 29), Read 83 times
Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:30 AM

At 06:04 AM 10/22/2009, you wrote:
>But for example the following key combinations do not work:
>
>- F11 (User -> Bookmarks)
>- F12 (User -> C function select)
>- Numpad-* (User -> Text registers)
>- Shift-F7 (Tools -> Check spelling)
>(And any other Shift-Fxx combination in Tools menu).
>
>It looks like any keyboard sequence that opens User or Tools menu does not work. But a sequence that opens any other menu does work (at least most of time).

Thank you for pointing that out; that should be a relatively simple fix. I overlooked testing the {User} and {Tools} menus who's hotkeys are handled differently that the fixed menus.

>I then tried to define a key sequence with Config -> Add keystroke macro. But when I press for example Alt-F, only the character f is inserted in the sequence. Thus it is not possible to define a sequence that opens a menu. (With old version, this works even when the keyboard problem is active.)

I know (and mentioned) that a hotkey which opens a menu would not yet work. I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track, and it appears I am.

My top priority right now is trying to replicate the VEDIT-on-Vista crash during a file save. One co-worker's machine has the crash, but none of the machines I use (or can take home to debug) have the problem. I am going to put the vpw.exe on a USB stick and test it on various demo machines at the stores today and buy a machine that has the problem.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (14 of 29), Read 81 times
Date: Monday, October 26, 2009 05:43 PM

After many hours of typing over the weekend I can report that
the Alt-key problem seems to have gone.

>I then tried to define a key sequence with Config -> Add keystroke macro.

This seems to be fixed as well.

>But for example the following key combinations do not work:
>- F11 (User -> Bookmarks)

I'm unable to check this, since I have redefined all the related keys.
There is one Shft combination that does'nt work, i.e. Shft-F9 (clear block markers);
but this seems to be caused by an wrong definition in vedit.key:

Shft-F9 [MENU]BR

Shouldn't that be [MENU]BK?

Fritz

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (19 of 29), Read 76 times
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 03:13 PM

At 05:46 PM 10/26/2009, you wrote:
>I'm unable to check this, since I have redefined all the related keys.
>There is one Shft combination that does'nt work, i.e. Shft-F9 (clear block markers);
>but this seems to be caused by an wrong definition in vedit.key:
>
>Shft-F9 [MENU]BR
>
>Shouldn't that be [MENU]BK?

Yes, it should be [MENU]BK and it is correct in the currently supplied .key files. I think it was [MENU]BR many years ago and perhaps your personal layout didn't get updated.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (20 of 29), Read 77 times
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 08:06 AM

On 10/27/2009 3:13:20 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>Yes, it should be [MENU]BK and
>it is correct in the currently
>supplied .key files. I think
>it was [MENU]BR many years ago
>and perhaps your personal
>layout didn't get updated.

On my normal.key file it is [MENU]BK as it should.

However, there is another non-existing menu reference in normal.key.
The key Alt-. is configured as [Menu]VV, but there is no such menu entry.

(I have configured Alt-. to [Menu]VH, since the key combination Alt-\ is not possible on Finnish keyboard.)

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (21 of 29), Read 82 times
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 05:17 PM

At 08:09 AM 10/28/2009, you wrote:
>From: "Pauli Lindgren" (pauli0212@...)
>On my normal.key file it is [MENU]BK as it should.
>
>However, there is another non-existing menu reference in normal.key.
>The key Alt-. is configured as [Menu]VV, but there is no such menu entry.
>
>(I have configured Alt-. to [Menu]VH, since the key combination Alt-\ is not possible on Finnish keyboard.)

You are correct, I don't remember what [MENU]vv used to be, but it no longer exists.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (22 of 29), Read 83 times
Date: Thursday, October 29, 2009 06:30 AM

On 10/28/2009 5:17:04 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>You are correct, I don't
>remember what [MENU]vv used to
>be, but it no longer exists.

I just found out that [MENU]vv is used in the DOS version of Vedit.
It is "VGA 25/28/50 line toggle".

BTW, the DOS version does not have the alt-key problem on Windows XP.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (23 of 29), Read 90 times
Date: Friday, October 30, 2009 06:54 PM

I think that I have fixed the problems with {USER} and {TOOLS} menus under Vista.

This should now be fixed in a new vpw.exe located again at

www..../download/vpw.exe

---------

Basically I am recoding every feature which used the Windows the WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK hook as it has limited functionality in Vista/Windows7. For the {User} and {Tools} menus I determined that I could put the menu selection keys on the Windows (pending) message stack and then invoke the menu.:

void WINAPI SendMMenu( VOID )
{
int i;
short vch;

for (i = 1; i <=3; i++) { // Menu selection needs max of 3 chars

VQ((NEARPROC) GETSTX, 0 ); // Is [REPEAT], DoVisual() or keystroke macro pending?
if ( RET_FLGS & CPU_Z ) // No break out
break;
vch = (short) QX32((NEARPROC) GETCHR, 0 ); // Yes, get the char

PostMessage( hwndFrame, WM_CHAR, vch, 0x00140001L); //Post it as pending message

}

SendMessage( hwndFrame, WM_SYSKEYDOWN, VK_MENU, 0x20380001L); //Invoke menu now
SendMessage( hwndFrame, WM_SYSKEYUP, VK_MENU, 0xC1380001L);
}

Not much code, but it is a real learning experience to get here and test different things under XP and Vista.

-----------

The next issue is playback of keystrokes which go through dialog boxes, e.g. the Search dialog box. The WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK hook (in Vista) will playback entering the search string, but not pressing the [Ok] button.

-----------

BTW - All of these WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK hook problem apply to anyone trying to use the Sendkey() function in VB, as that is how it is implemented.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (24 of 29), Read 90 times
Date: Monday, November 02, 2009 04:18 AM

On 10/30/2009 6:54:20 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>I think that I have fixed the
>problems with {USER} and
>{TOOLS} menus under Vista.
>
>This should now be fixed in a
>new vpw.exe located again at
>

User and Tools menus now work mostly.
However, if the keyboard shortcut calls a macro that opens a dialog box, really strange things happen. Depending on the key combination (or the macro called):
- Nothing happens, the dialog does not open.
- Dialog opens but has no focus.
- Dialog opens, but the default radio buttons have changed and a sound may be heard, indicating that several additional keypresses have been received.
- Dialog does not open, hourglass cursor is displayed and Vedit crashes.

Additional problems not seen on previous versions:

- Alt+cursor keys (scroll display) do not work.
- Pressing Ctrl twice does not clear block markers.

By the way, I noticed that "Config" -> "Misc" -> "Alt/Ctrl/Shift Key shortcut modes" setting still has the option for Ctrl+Shift = Erase Line (mask 8). This is not very useful nowadays since Ctrl+Shift+key combinations are used even in the normal keyboard configuration.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (25 of 29), Read 89 times
Date: Monday, November 02, 2009 11:49 AM

> However, if the keyboard shortcut calls a macro that opens > a dialog box, really strange things happen. Depending on > the key combination:

> Alt+cursor keys (scroll display) do not work.

Same phenomenon here, e.g.: F12 calls the dialog box, F10 doesn't.
Alt-cursor does nothing.

Fritz

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (26 of 29), Read 94 times
Date: Monday, November 02, 2009 12:24 PM

At 11:53 AM 11/2/2009, you wrote:
>From: "Fritz Heberlein" (sla019@...) > However, if the keyboard shortcut calls a macro that opens > a dialog box, really strange things happen. Depending on > the key combination:
>
>> Alt+cursor keys (scroll display) do not work.

I can confirm this doesn't work under Vista yet.

>Same phenomenon here, e.g.: F12 calls the dialog box, F10 doesn't.
>Alt-cursor does nothing.

I can confirm that F10 does not bring up the menu under Vista.

I can confirm that F12 does not select [MENU]MMU under Vista.

I will continue working on these, but right now I am working on the new style online help file needed by Vista.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Alt-key problem (27 of 29), Read 91 times
Date: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 05:22 AM

On 11/2/2009 4:18:38 AM, Pauli Lindgren wrote:
>
>However, if the keyboard shortcut calls
>a macro that opens a dialog box, really
>strange things happen.

I think I know now what is happening here.
Looks like there are indeed too many characters sent by a keyboard macro.

For example, on my configuration for txt files, I have the following keys configured:
 F12            [MENU]UF
Ctrl-F12 [MENU]UT
If I press F12, a macro is called that opens a dialog box.
But for some reason, characters UT are inserted in the default input field of the dialog.

Looks like the keyboard routine reads one character too much and executes the key Ctrl-F12, too.

When I changed the definition of Ctrl-F12 into
 Ctrl-F12       Hello, World!
and then press F12, the text "Hello, World!" is inserted in the input field of the dialog box.

--
Pauli

Topic: Macros for LaTeX (28 of 29), Read 55 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 04:08 PM

Gentlemen:

A big thank you to both Christian and Fritz!
(Thanks to Ian too, from whom I learned about the various ways to shell out to DOS.)

It solved my recent, MS upgrade issue on my office computer. Specifically, this upgrade disabled my old LATEX.VCS file. I did get an error, essentially saying that

CAN NOT SHELL OUT, ERROR 5.

So those Vedit users who use the c-*.vdm family of macros and do get the above error message, may benefit from this upgrade as well. In other words, you need not be a Latex user, to benefit from this upgrade !

Now a minor point.

The LATEX.VCS file has been upgraded, however, the time stamp has not been updated. So, I am uploading, my old file,
where I have embedded the date.

Incidentally, I have been unable to use Vedit to compare the old and the new LATEX.VCS files. In other words, I had to do the comparison by hand.

-peter

PS: Once again I have problem with the uploading. I have checked the "Attach file or picture" box and nothing happened.

Previous LATEX.VCS file

Topic: Macros for LaTeX (29 of 29), Read 18 times
Date: Friday, February 26, 2010 04:18 PM

On 10/17/2009 12:39:21 PM, Fritz Heberlein wrote:

>BTW. I have experimented with
>a couple of other editors over
>the past weeks (Emacs, VIM,
>Epsilon, WinEdt, Zeus, LeD
>...). None of them is as
>flexible and as simple as
>Vedit regarding macros and
>dialog boxes.
>Fritz

Now I would like to add a footnote to this:

When I open WinEdt, I see two raws of icons versus the single raw of Vedit. I have just learned from from the online help that the Vedit Toolbar is customizable. In other words, I can set up these icons in the style of WinEdt.

Specifically, I would like to have an icon for my Latex compiler and another one for my Tex compiler. I already have a command for each of these two compilers in my USER_MENU.
It turns out that my Latex compiler is item 10 on my USER-MENU. So, as per the online help instructions, I just added the Tool Icon 10 to the Toolbar. Le Voila !

In short: Now I can launch my Latex compiler with a single mouse click. That is to say, I save a mouse click. I bet, this is that the WinEdt programmer had in mind when he created his Latex Icon.

Actually, the usefulness of additionla icons in the Vedit Toolbar is not Latex specific. In fact, I plan to use them in launching Pauli's snippets.vdm macro. The macro on which he reported in the next message of this Conference 29.

-peter