Topic: Replacing Notepad with VEDIT (1 of 2), Read 66 times
Conf: Installation, Configuration
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2004 08:39 PM

Here is some interesting info submitted by user John DeHaven:

Here's a better way to replace NOTEPAD with VEDIT (It only works with NT/W2K/XP).

It is hard to know what extensions need to be fed to {Config/Assoc file types}. The OS can tell you this way:

1. Open a command-line window (I just can't being myself to call this powerful NT window a "DOS prompt." :-)

2. Enter:

ftype | find /i "notepad"

The OS will give you a list of "file types" that are currently opened with Notepad. (Things like "txtfile" "mnufile" etc.

3. For each file type xxx, enter

ftype xxx="c:\vedit\vpw.exe" "%1"

Now everything that previously was associated with notepad will now be associated with vedit. The advantage over the procedure in the readme is that you don't copy vpw.exe and so it can find the ini files in its home directory.

If you want to know the extensions that are associated with vedit, for each file type xxx, enter:

assoc | find /i "xxx"

To add a new file extension .ext to be associated with vedit, for any associated file type xxx, enter:

assoc .ext=xxx (example: assoc .frp=txtfile)

-------------------
Written by John DeHaven; posted by Ted Green

Topic: Replacing Notepad with VEDIT (2 of 2), Read 73 times
Conf: Installation, Configuration
Date: Friday, February 20, 2004 02:09 AM

On 2/19/2004 8:39:48 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>Here's a better way to replace
>NOTEPAD with VEDIT (It only
>works with NT/W2K/XP).
>
Until Vedit supports Unicode, this should be treated carefully, paricularly if you need to look at some log files.

Unicode is about the only thing I use Notepad for.

It is also possible to associate multiple programs, and pick from the Right Click context menu which application to open.