Topic: Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) and VEdit (1 of 1), Read 28 times
Conf: Installation, Configuration
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010 03:34 PM

I've been a very satisfied VEdit user for more than 15 years (despite doing much less editing of straight text recently). In particular, I rely on the WildFile Wizard to help me find all kinds of things.

My new PC has Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, and I'm very happy with it. My only regret is that this OS does not "play well" with VEdit. Two things that don't work are the "Open with VEdit" choice in Windows Explorer and the WildFile Wizard. I spent some time trying to work around these issues, but failed.

I have recently stumbled on a very workable solution. I installed VirtualXP (from Microsoft) on my Windows 7 system, and installed VEdit in this virtual OS. I configured my virtual WinXP system so that it has easy access to my Windows 7 documents folder.

Now suppose I'm working (in Windows 7) on a project and need to do a WildFile search on a folder. I open the Virtual XP window, find the folder in question (in the Windows 7 file system), Open with VEdit, and run WildFile. I can choose to edit the file from within the virtual XP space, or I can close it (in XP) and fix it in Windows 7.

I had previously built my Windows 7 PC as a dual-boot system with Windows XP as there were a few (other) programs that worked in XP, but didn't work well in Windows 7. However, it was painful rebooting to switch operating systems. With Virtual XP, I'm able to Have My Cake (Windows 7) and Eat It, Too (run WildFile, Open with VEdit).