Topic: Upgrading Blog (1 of 19), Read 51 times
Conf: Installation, Configuration
Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011 04:35 PM

Think of this post as a blog, just one user's experience.
Maybe you will find it helpful, or a waste of time.

Well I finally upgraded to Windows 7 (64 bit) from Windows XP.

After almost 10 years using Vedit for Windows v6.01.2, I decided to upgrade to Vedit 6.20.1. (32 bit)

Since it is a brand new system, I decided to do a clean install, and move selected files such as my vdms files over as needed.

So, I downloaded the software, and installed it. Made mistake of choosing All Users Config instead of Multiple Users Config during install.

The problem was that the install program looked at environment variable %allusersprofile% which on my system refers to c:\programdata, which on my system is a hidden directory. Not really the best choice, even if you know how to unhide as I do.

Not being happy, I did a complete uninstall of Vedit, and tried again, this time, I selected Multiple Users Config, this time the install program looked to the environment variable %appdata%.

Having learned from experience, I openned the command prompt and did the set command, and %appdata% refers to c:\users\owner\appdata\roaming. Not liking that I entered c:\users\owner\vedit and completed installation.

My advice is double check those environment variables as you are installing.

On my old system, I just used a totally custom startup.vdm, no ustartup. After reviewing the new startup.vdm, I realized that would be impractical to continue, so I renamed my old startup.vdm ustartup.vdm, removed the duplicate code re: file open config from my ustartup.vdm.

For some reason using ustartup.vdm is not the default, you have to enable it.

Everything seems okay, Vedit refuses to rename the Tools menu to Html for some reason, the command in my ustartup file is Config_String(TOOL_MENU,"H&tml"), but it doesn't work. Loads my custom tool menu just fine, but no rename.

Advantage of c:\users\owner\vedit is I made the Vedit folder a library so it shows up in the same area as documents, pictures, videos, etc, including under libraries on the left side of folders.

My custom keyboard seems to work just fine, so far just had to change the buffer next & previous [menu] entries to account for moves in menu system. My key file is filled with call_file() instead of the [menu]. Very different from the standard key file.

For some reason, Internet Explorer will not allow me to select Vedit as the html editor under options. Only choices are word, excel (???), and notepad. I am going to try that rename notepad trick outlined in errata.txt. Hope it works on Windows 7 too.

It is my opinion, the install program uses the wrong environment variables, for multiple users option it should use %userprofile% which seems correct in both xp & 7. So the default would be %userprofile%\vedit

For the All Users option, it should use for xp
%alluserprofile%\vedit and in Win 7, c:\user\public\vedit

But that is just my opinion, to be ignored as needed. ;)

Anyways, will post more, as I learn more.

Scott

Topic: Upgrading Blog (2 of 19), Read 51 times
Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011 08:29 PM

Scott,

An interesting post.

I think you made an error, I think you meant:-
"I finally downgraded to Windows 7 from Windows XP".

More seriously I think some of your comment about directories need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Win7 organises user data quite differently from XP, and makes extensive use of junctions to preserve compatibility with earlier software. Most of these junctions (and/or the data below them) are hidden by design. It is better to go with the new structure rather than fight it.

It is possible that vedit is actually using some of the older structures, but if it follows the supplied environment variables all should be well.

I can't actually check this, as I don't have Win7. I did run the RC, but decided most of the changes were just eye candy, and certainly not worth the exorbitant cost of the upgrade.

I decided Win7 would have to wait till I got a new computer, but in the end the new MacBook Pro looked like a much better option. (I run vedit in an XP VM.)

One other point. Microsoft still hasn't solved the 64 bit situation. The OS itself is OK, but the kludges to support 32 bit applications with dual directories for 32 and 64 bit create lots of problems.

Topic: Re: Upgrading Blog (3 of 19), Read 57 times
Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:09 PM

----- Original Message -----
> From: Ian Binnie Scott,
>
> More seriously I think some of your comment about directories need to
> be taken with a grain of salt.

While I'm pretty sure that VEDIT follows the recommended Win7 directory structure, I think that Scott's comments are very valid. I am going to try and incorporate them as an option.

The installw.vdm macro has gotten quite complex, nearly 100K now, but combined with VEDIT's new directory structure give me a lot of flexibility in how things are installed.

> One other point. Microsoft still hasn't solved the 64 bit situation.
> The OS itself is OK, but the kludges to support 32 bit applications
> with dual directories for 32 and 64 bit create lots of problems.

This doesn't seem to be a problem, but there are both 32 and 64 bit versions of the registry with some complex rules for backward compatibility.

Ted.

Topic: Upgrading Blog (4 of 19), Read 50 times
Date: Sunday, May 22, 2011 08:44 AM

On 5/21/2011 8:29:25 PM, Ian Binnie wrote:
>Scott,
>

>It is possible that vedit is
>actually using some of the
>older structures, but if it
>follows the supplied
>environment variables all
>should be well.

Key word there is "should", but I am not sure of the wisdom of placing the Vedit user_home under a hidden directory or buried deep in the directory tree, which it would have been had I gone with the suggested environment variables.

Of course, this is all subjective, at least Vedit gives the flexibility of choosing where to put stuff.

>
>I decided Win7 would have to
>wait till I got a new
>computer, but in the end the
>new MacBook Pro looked like a
>much better option. (I run
>vedit in an XP VM.)
>

I have been using Windows 7 for less then a month, but so far, I have encounter no problems with it. Vedit is one of the major reasons, I am still with Windows.

Scott

Topic: Upgrading Blog Part 2 (5 of 19), Read 40 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Sunday, May 22, 2011 01:37 PM

Continuing my upgrade blog...

So I got the Syntax hightlighting and template editing working. Half the battle is just figuring out where to put files. My custom *.syn and *.vtm seem happy in user_home (aka c:\users\owner\vedit).

The ustartup.vdm seems happy in user_home\config, while the *.mnu files seem happy in user_home\user-mac. Don't know if that is where they are suppose to be, but it works and you can't argue with that.

My Scribe Spell Checker seems to be unhappy in c:\program files (x86)\vedit\macros\scribe. This is activating it from Misc-More-Scribe in the menu system. First error is "Can't create backup file", and second error is "Can't close file (used by another program)". It would have to be one of my macros that didn't work.

Simple fix. Copy the Scribe folder to user_home (in my case, that is c:\users\owner\vedit), and then replace the scribe.vdm in BOTH c:\program files (x86)\vedit\macros\scribe, and c:\users\owner\vedit\scribe with the scribe.vdm attached to this message. Everything then works just fine.

That rename notepad to oldpad, and vpw to notepad trick does not work in Windows 7. Windows will not allow me to rename notepad. There is probably a way to do it, just don't know Windows 7 well enough. Major pain.... (Maybe firefox is more flexible then IE??)

Whoever created that Preview in Browser function, Thank you! Excellent addition!

Here is the replacement scribe.vdm as detailed above.

Scott

SCRIBE.VDM (5KB)

Topic: Windows. (6 of 19), Read 45 times
Date: Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:20 PM

On 5/22/2011 1:37:53 PM, Scott Lambert wrote:
>Continuing my upgrade blog...
>
>My Scribe Spell Checker seems
>to be unhappy in c:\program
>files
>(x86)\vedit\macros\scribe.
>This is activating it from
>Misc-More-Scribe in the menu
>system. First error is "Can't
>create backup file", and
>second error is "Can't close
>file (used by another
>program)". It would have to be
>one of my macros that didn't
>work.

This is normal for Vista Win7.
Programs should not modify their installation directory.

>Simple fix. Copy the Scribe
>folder to user_home (in my
>case, that is
>c:\users\owner\vedit), and
>then replace the scribe.vdm in
>BOTH c:\program files
>(x86)\vedit\macros\scribe, and
>c:\users\owner\vedit\scribe
>with the scribe.vdm attached
>to this message. Everything
>then works just fine.

This is one solution, but the the normal solution is to keep the program in its own directory, and create configuration etc files under %APPDATA% (and temporary files under a temporary directory).

This has been the practice since XP, but now the OS enforces this. It is a good idea since it allows users to share a program, but keep their own configuration.

Indeed this is the standard practice, not only on Windows, but on GNU/Linux and OS X, where it has been enforced by access permissions.

Topic: Upgrading Blog (7 of 19), Read 61 times
Date: Monday, May 23, 2011 04:24 AM

On 5/21/2011 4:35:02 PM, Scott Lambert wrote:
>
>
> On my old system, I just used
> a totally custom startup.vdm,
> no ustartup. After reviewing
> the new startup.vdm, I
> realized that would be
> impractical to continue, so I
> renamed my old startup.vdm
> ustartup.vdm, removed the
> duplicate code re: file open
> config from my ustartup.vdm.
> Everything seems okay, Vedit
> refuses to rename the Tools
> menu to Html for some reason,
> the command in my ustartup
> file is
> Config_String(TOOL_MENU,"H&tml"),
> but it doesn't work. Loads
> my custom tool menu just fine,
> but no rename.

I have found very little use for ustartup.vdm. I recommend using projects.
For example, I have several HTML projects, C projects, Vedit macro projects etc. Each project have their own configurations. When I open a project, the User and Tools menus are loaded automatically, as well as keyboard configuration etc.

For initial setup when creating a new project, I use my Preset macro:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/pkl/vedit/misc.htm#config

On my system (Vedit 6.20.1 on XP), the menu renaming command in preset.vdm macro works. Maybe it is a Windows-7 problem?

> My key file is filled
> with call_file() instead of
> the [menu]. Very different
> from the standard key file.

I prefer to put the macro calls to User and Tools menus as much as possible. This way, the hot-keys are visible in the menu and are easier to memorize.

>
>For some reason, Internet
>Explorer will not allow me to
>select Vedit as the html
>editor under options. Only
>choices are word, excel (???),
>and notepad.

Try the macro html_editor_set.vdm in my HTML Tools package:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/pkl/vedit/html.htm#editor
However, I don't know if it works with Win-7.

--
Pauli

Topic: Upgrading Blog (10 of 19), Read 62 times
Date: Monday, May 23, 2011 07:52 PM

Thanks Pauli, for sharing your alternative to ustartup.vdm with me.

However, I have been using ustartup.vdm for some time. So, it will take me additional time to reorient myself.

Could you describe a very simple example in more details ?
In fact, I could use a very simple example concerning projects, as well.

Thanks as always,

-peter

Topic: Upgrading Blog (16 of 19), Read 46 times
Date: Sunday, May 29, 2011 08:12 AM

On 5/23/2011 7:52:33 PM, peter rejto wrote:
>Thanks Pauli, for sharing your
>alternative to ustartup.vdm
>with me.
>
>
>Could you describe a very
>simple example in more details
>?
>In fact, I could use a very
>simple example concerning
>projects, as well.

Ustartup.vdm mainly sets some configuration parameters.
However, you can set the parameters from config menu and then save them to vedit.cfg.

The config strings are an exception. For some reason, you can not set them from config menu. However, they are saved in vedit.cfg. So, if you set the config strings for example by using direct commands or by running a macro such as my preset.vdm, the parameters can then be saved in vedit.cfg and they are available next time you start Vedit.

User and Tools menus can be modified and saved in user-mac directory from where they are automatically loaded. You do not need ustartup.vdm for that either.

I have configured Vedit by default for simple text file editing. If I need some special mode (C programming, HTML editing, Vedit macro editing etc.), then I open a project.

Creating a project is very simple.
1. Start Vedit (for clean start)
2. Load User and Tools menus and keyboard configuration and change any config options if needed. (All this can be done by running preset.vdm macro).
3. Execute "File" -> "Project" -> "Save (new) project as...".

That's it. Now you have a project created.
You can then add files to project by right-clicking on the Proj tab on File Selector panel. It is good idea to add at least a few files there just to see that the project is open.

Next time you open the project, you can continue from where you left last time. Even cursor position on each file is restored, as well as bookmarks, highlighted blocks etc.
(if "Restore full project on open" is enabled).

--
Pauli

Topic: Upgrading Blog (17 of 19), Read 47 times
Date: Thursday, June 02, 2011 07:22 PM

On 5/29/2011 8:12:52 AM, Pauli Lindgren wrote:

>Ustartup.vdm mainly sets some
>configuration parameters.
>However, you can set the parameters from
>config menu and then save them to
>vedit.cfg.
>
>The config strings are an exception. For
>some reason, you can not set them from
>config menu. However, they are saved in
>vedit.cfg. So, if you set the config
>strings for example by using direct
>commands or by running a macro such as
>my preset.vdm, the parameters can then
>be saved in vedit.cfg and they are
>available next time you start Vedit.
>
>User and Tools menus can be modified and
>saved in user-mac directory from where
>they are automatically loaded. You do
>not need ustartup.vdm for that either.
>
>I have configured Vedit by default for
>simple text file editing. If I need some
>special mode (C programming, HTML
>editing, Vedit macro editing etc.), then
>I open a project.

>Creating a project is very simple.
>1. Start Vedit (for clean start)
>2. Load User and Tools menus and
>keyboard configuration and change any
>config options if needed. (All this can
>be done by running preset.vdm macro).
>3. Execute "File" -> "Project" -> "Save
>(new) project as...".

>That's it. Now you have a project
>created.
>You can then add files to project by
>right-clicking on the Proj tab on File
>Selector panel. It is good idea to add
>at least a few files there just to see
>that the project is open.
>

Thanks Pauli,

Somehow I missed that I can load a customized user.mnu file
by creating and

"right-clicking on it's Proj tab on File Selector panel."

This is really cool.

In other words, I can load customized user.mnu file by 2 times right-clicking on my mouse. The first right-click is to launch Vedit and the second right-click on the Proj tab.

Now, just for fum, I would like to automate the second right-click by having a macro do it.

So, I thought to try out the new help system. Indeed, I did
find the topic, "keyboard macros". Following the instructions, I did succeed in creating a keyboard macro that types the word "test".

However, I was unable to create a keyboard macro that would
automate the "right-click the Proj tab.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks as always.

-peter

Topic: Upgrading Blog (18 of 19), Read 50 times
Date: Friday, June 03, 2011 07:53 AM

On 6/2/2011 7:22:42 PM, peter rejto wrote:
>
> Thanks Pauli,
>
> Somehow I missed that I can load a
> customized user.mnu file
> by creating and
>
> "right-clicking on it's Proj tab on File
> Selector panel."

You do not need to use the right-click context menu to open a project.
Just double-click on the project name.

>
>Now, just for fum, I would like to
>automate the second right-click by
>having a macro do it.
>
>However, I was unable to create a
>keyboard macro that would
>automate the "right-click the Proj tab.

You can not add mouse clicks in a keyboard macro.

If you want a project to open automatically when you start Vedit, enable Edit Restore
(File -> Enable edit restore, then save configuration).
Now, if you have a project open when you close Vedit, that project will be opened automatically.

But you do not need to have a project open. When edit restore is enabled, the last session status (including User and Tools menus) will be restored.

But you do not need to use Edit Restore to load User and Tools menus. They are loaded automatically when you start Vedit. You can have your own versions of the menus in user-mac directory. You may want to change the setting
Config -> Miscellaneous -> {TOOLS} menu
to choose which tools menu is loaded.

--
Pauli

Topic: Upgrading Blog (19 of 19), Read 53 times
Date: Friday, June 03, 2011 10:53 AM

On 6/3/2011 7:53:33 AM, Pauli Lindgren wrote:

>You can not add mouse clicks in a
>keyboard macro.

Thanks Pauli,

This is exactly that I missed.

I shall work on the rest of your suggestions.

-peter

Topic: Upgrading Blog Part 3 (8 of 19), Read 40 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Monday, May 23, 2011 01:32 PM

So anyways, I figured out why Vedit would not allow me to rename my tools menu.

If you remember, I just ignored the default ustartup.vdm and used a modified version of my old startup.vdm as my ustartup.vdm

However the default ustartup.vdm has code in it related to the tools & user menus.

Since my custom version of the ustartup did not contain said code, my tool menu was not renamed.

Now as I understand it, the startup.vdm is not to be changed at all. It has several warnings about doing so.

The problem as I see it is that if we accept that the startup.vdm should not be altered, then we need the principle that the startup.vdm makes no assumptions about what is in the ustartup.vdm.

I mean there is no way to know what an user might do in the ustartup.

So I have created a special hacked version of the startup.vdm that makes (at least with regards to the menus) any assumptions as to the contents of the ustartup.vdm

(You might want to have open startup.vdm open in vedit as you read further to understand my changes.)

So first looking at the original startup you have the section where t-regs 103 to 106 are set to their default values.

Instead I replace it with:

//------- Initialize {USER} and {TOOLS} registers -----------------
//
// After Ustartup.vdm is run, these registers will hold default files and names for the {USER} and {TOOLS} menus.
// The USTARTUP.VDM file, if enabled, will give them the users' preferred values.
//

Config_String(USER_MENU,"&User")
Config_String(TOOL_MENU,"&Tools")

Reg_Empty(103) // Default file for {USER} menu
Reg_Empty(104) // Default name for {USER} menu
Reg_Empty(105) // Default file for {TOOLS} menu, when
// Config(U_TOOLS_MENU) = "4"
Reg_Empty(106) // Default name for {TOOLS} menu

//

I am just making sure the registers are empty here. The theory being that if an user uses the standard ustartup and uncomments the lines pertaining to the menus, these registers will be assigned values.

If like me the user has dumped the standard ustartup, and has a custom version (or user did not uncomment the related lines), these values will remain null

So the startup file in both cases executes ustartup if this feature is enabled.

Then it loads the user menu, again I have altered the code:

//------- Load the {USER} menu -----------------------------------------------
//
// Add the {USER} menu to the main menu by loading the file USER.MNU.
// By default, USER.MNU contains some of the macros listed in Appendix E
// (Application Notes). You can place your own custom editing functions
// in the {USER} menu by modifying the USER.MNU file or by loading a
// different file. See the help topic "{USER} and {TOOLS} menus".
//

If(reg_size(103)>0) {
if ( File_Exist("|(USER_MACRO)\|@(103)",NOERR) ) {
Reg_Load(124,"|(USER_MACRO)\|@(103)",NOERR)
}
}
If(reg_size(104)>0) {
Config_String(USER_MENU,@(104))
}

Here you will notice it tests the size of t-regs 103 & 104, if they are still zero in size, the code does not execute. The only time it does is when the user uncomments the related lines in the standard ustarup.

Then the startup.vdm loads the tool menu, again I changed the code:

//------- Load the {TOOLS} menu ----------------------------------------------
//
// Add a {TOOLS} menu depending upon the setting of
// {CONFIG, Misc, TOOLS menu}:
//
// 0 Do not load any {TOOLS} menu.
// 1 (Default) Load the Compiler support menu from COMPILE.MNU.
// However, if VEDIT is running as a trial version, instead load
// the {TUTOR} menu from TUTOR.MNU.
// 2 Load the Compiler support menu from COMPILE.MNU.
// 3 Load the Java support menu from JAVA.MNU.
// 4 Load a user defined {TOOLS} menu from TOOLS.MNU.
//

#120 = Config(U_TOOLS_MENU)
if (#120==1) {
if (Is_TV) {
if (OS_Type==1) {
Reg_Load(123,"|(HOME)\tutor\tutorw.mnu",EXTRA+NOERR)
if (AppWidth>640) { Config_String(TOOL_MENU,"&Tutorial") }
else { Config_String(TOOL_MENU,"&Tutor") }
}
else { Reg_Load(123,"tutor.mnu",EXTRA+NOERR) }
}
else { #120 = 2 }
}

if (#120==2 || #120==3) {
Call_File(Reg_Free,"compile.vdm",NOERR)
Config_String(TOOL_MENU,"&Tools")
}
if (#120==4) {

if(reg_size(105)>0) {Reg_Load(123,@(105),EXTRA+NOERR)} //Load a custom tools.mnu
else {Reg_Load(123,"tools.mnu",EXTRA+NOERR)}

If(reg_size(106>0)) {
Config_String(TOOL_MENU,@(106)) //Give it the desired name
}
}

My changes are under the If(#120==4) section and
again, you will notice it tests the size of t-regs 105 & 106, if they are still zero in size, the code does not execute. The only time it does is when the user uncomments the related lines in the standard ustarup.

So my hacked version makes no assumptions of what is in the ustartup.vdm. With my hacked version my menus load correctly, and are named correctly.

For the advanced users, thet can setup their menus in the ustartup using thier own code, yet my version will work just fine for the newish user.

I have attached my hacked version of startup.vdm to this file. I have named it hacked.vdm so you can download it and look at it without worry about altering your setup.

I am using my hacked version as my startup.vdm at the moment, and have no problems. You use my hacked version at YOUR OWN RISK.

Scott

HACKED.VDM (10KB)

Topic: Upgrading Blog Part 3 (9 of 19), Read 44 times
Date: Monday, May 23, 2011 01:35 PM

Sorry,

The line:

So I have created a special hacked version of the startup.vdm that makes (at least with regards to the menus) any assumptions as to the contents of the ustartup.vdm

should read:

So I have created a special hacked version of the startup.vdm that makes (at least with regards to the menus) no assumptions as to the contents of the ustartup.vdm

Scott

Topic: Upgrading Blog part 4 (11 of 19), Read 30 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 08:36 AM

Break out the good vintage stuff...

I figured out a way around the fact that Internet Explorer under Windows 7 will not allow Vedit as the html editor.

The browser has that area where it shows the url you are currently visiting. Now if it is a html file on a local drive it has the full path of the file there. A right click on it and you can copy it to the clipboard.

So I wrote a macro that is called from my ustartup file called htmopen.vdm

What it does is it dumps the clipboard into a free buffer, goes to the start of buffer, tests that the first 3 characters match search pattern |A:\ (that is search pattern |A, not a reference to drive A), if that is successful, it searches for .htm and if that is successful,
loads the file.

If it is successful in its tests, it copy 4 spaces to the clipboard, so next time Vedit opens, it does not reload the last html file worked on.

So now, when working on html files, I can just copy the url to the clipboard and then double click on Vedit on my desktop and the page I am looking at in my browser opens in vedit.

htmopen.vdm is attached to this message.

However, as usual, there is a problem....

In the startup.vdm, ustartup.vdm is called before the file configuration event macro is established, so no syntax highting or template editing is avaliable when htmopen actually opens a file.

So it requires a second hack of my already hacked startup.vdm, I need to move the code regarding the call to ustartup, and also the loading of the menus after the code regarding file configuration resulting in hacked2.vdm, which is also attached. It is my opinion that the
call to ustartup be as close to the end of startup.vdm as possible.

Hopefully with the second hacked version of startup.vdm, the file won't cause me any more trouble, but I doubt it...

The attached zip contains both htmopen.vdm and hacked2.vdm.

Scott

BLOG.ZIP (4KB)

Topic: Upgrading Blog part 4 (12 of 19), Read 30 times
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:25 AM

On 5/25/2011 8:36:48 AM, Scott Lambert wrote:
>
>
>I figured out a way around the
>fact that Internet Explorer
>under Windows 7 will not allow
>Vedit as the html editor.

Did you try my html_editor_set.vdm macro?
Did it not work?

--
Pauli

Topic: Upgrading Blog part 4 (13 of 19), Read 29 times
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 01:51 PM

On 5/25/2011 11:25:23 AM, Pauli Lindgren wrote:
>
>Did you try my html_editor_set.vdm
>macro?
>Did it not work?
>

I am sorry, I completely forgot you mentioned you had a solution. Too many things on my plate, I guess. I just downloaded it, and will give it a try.

Topic: Upgrading Blog part 4 (14 of 19), Read 28 times
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 02:06 PM

On 5/25/2011 1:51:46 PM, Scott Lambert wrote:
>On 5/25/2011 11:25:23 AM, Pauli Lindgren
>wrote:
>>
>>Did you try my html_editor_set.vdm
>>macro?
>>Did it not work?
>>
>

Hi Pauli, yes your macro worked. Vedit now comes up when I click view source in IE. It was not able to add vedit to the list of editors, but that is not a problem.

I had to learn how to backup my registry and create a restore point, but all that went well.

Thank you for an excellent solution.

Scott

Topic: Upgrading Blog part 4 (15 of 19), Read 26 times
Date: Thursday, May 26, 2011 08:00 AM

On 5/25/2011 2:06:00 PM, Scott Lambert wrote:
>
>Hi Pauli, yes your macro worked. Vedit
>now comes up when I click view source in
>IE. It was not able to add vedit to the
>list of editors, but that is not a
>problem.

I wonder if the reason for not being able to set the editor is in IE version or in Windows-7.

Set Editor part of the macro writes to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT branch in Registry. I recall that in Win-7, a normal user can not access that branch.
Perhaps you could log in as administrator and try again?
(I do not have Win-7 so I can not test that myself.)

--
Pauli