Topic: Calls to VEDIT by external programs (1 of 8), Read 108 times
Conf: Startup, File Open, Exit
Date: Monday, October 01, 2001 07:49 AM

I have an external program (the Yap dvi viewer used to view TeX documents) that can call directly
VEDIT to edit the source TeX file.
However it opens each time
a new instance of VEDIT. Is there a way to arrange so that only one instance of VEDIT is running?

thanks,

Christian.

Topic: Re: Calls to VEDIT by external programs (2 of 8), Read 106 times
Date: Monday, October 01, 2001 12:42 PM

At 07:50 AM 10/1/2001, you wrote:
>I have an external program (the Yap dvi viewer used to view TeX documents) that can call directly VEDIT to edit the source TeX file.
>However it opens each time a new instance of VEDIT. Is there a way to arrange so that only one instance of VEDIT is running?

The Windows Explorer can open files in an existing instance of VEDIT because Explorer and VEDIT have "DDE" support for just this purpose.

It is not currently possible for an external program to shell to VEDIT with filenames and have them open in an existing instance of VEDIT.

However, we plan on implementing this option soon via an invocation option. The way it will work is that a new instance of VEDIT will initially start. If it can find another instance of VEDIT via DDE, it will send the filenames to the other instance of VEDIT. The new instance will then shut down.

Hopefully we can have this running by the end of the year.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Calls to VEDIT by external programs (4 of 8), Read 112 times
Date: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 07:33 AM

Dears Ted and Christian,

thanks for your help. Since I currently have Win98, I will wait until the possibility to
load only one instance of VEDIT is implemented.

many thanks again,

Christian.

Topic: Re: Calls to VEDIT by external programs (5 of 8), Read 117 times
Date: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 02:38 PM

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:33:46 -0400, you wrote:

>thanks for your help. Since I currently have Win98, I will wait until =the possibility to
>load only one instance of VEDIT is implemented.

Good news:

It works on Win98 too. Just tried.

Christian

Topic: Re: Calls to VEDIT by external programs (8 of 8), Read 75 times
Date: Sunday, January 06, 2002 01:50 PM

Thanks Ted!
I am also very interested in this feature, for the same reason as Christian. That is to say, I would like to call Vedit from YAP.

Thanks for the explanation as well. Now I understand what is the requirement on an editor to perform "inverse search" in Miktex.

Christian, do I understand it correctly? This is the only missing feature in your implementation of the "inverse search macro"
I am really looking forward to using your macro!!

Happy New Year to all Vedit Users!

-peter.

Topic: Calls to VEDIT by external programs (3 of 8), Read 109 times
Date: Monday, October 01, 2001 01:14 PM

Hello Christian,

as Ted wrote in the other message it's not possible directly.

But at least under NT and W2k there is a workaround to make it run.

If the file type (extension) of the files being edited is associated with VEDIT (like .VDM) you can use the start command.

Just use "start example.vdm" instead of
"C:\VEDIT\VPW.EXE example.vdm".

The start command looks into the registry what application is associated with the extension and then runs that application.

If all is configured correctly every next call should open the file in the same instance of VEDIT and don't open a new one.

Hopefully I was able to describe it understandable.....

Christian

Topic: Calls to VEDIT by external programs (6 of 8), Read 90 times
Date: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 04:32 PM

I found the discussion useful.

I use ZtreeWin as my file manager - this allows you to set up an external editor to be invoked by a key (Alt-E) which calls "Start Vpw.exe ...".

This opened a new instance each time, but I no longer do this for most files.

I now use the ZtreeWin "Open" option (which uses the registry) for files types registered to Vedit - they open in a single instance.

Topic: Calls to VEDIT by external programs (7 of 8), Read 86 times
Date: Friday, December 28, 2001 04:47 PM

Ah a fellow ztwin/vedit man! hello Ian

The use of open using dde in the file associations instead of edit will open the file in an already started instance of vedit. However this is limited to files of extensions that you choose to associate with vedit.

I have files of many varied extensions or no extension at all that I wish sometimes to edit with vedit and sometimes to open with another app.

I notice in w2k that in ztw ctrl-E on a group of tagged files will open them all in the one instance of vedit, which is encouraging
Also, if in ztw I hit Open on a file of unassociated extension or on a file with no extension the popup openwith will appear

So maybe if Vedit is called from that popup, then it can somehow be accessed with dde.

I look forward to Ted hopefully implementing this functionality "sometime this year" Only 3 days to go:-)

By the way, what do you think of Max!

or if you haven't met Max check out
http://www.vico1.com/bbs1/config.cgi

Steve