Topic: wwh*.tmp files created in tmp directory (1 of 5), Read 15 times
Conf: Startup, File Open, Exit
Date: Monday, July 13, 2009 08:52 AM

I have been wondering why there are thousands of empty files with name wwh*.tmp (for example wwh5E7.tmp) in my %TEMP% folder.

Now I noticed that a new wwh*.tmp is created every time I start Vedit. What is the purpose of these files? Why are they not deleted after use?

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: wwh*.tmp files created in tmp directory (2 of 5), Read 12 times
Date: Monday, July 13, 2009 09:01 AM

vtech-startup-exit Listmanager schrieb:
>
> I have been wondering why there are thousands of empty files with name
wwh*.tmp (for example wwh5E7.tmp) in my %TEMP% folder.

I haven't opened the temp folder for eons. Nontheless, it contains no
such files.

Fritz

--
Dr. Friedrich Heberlein
Akademischer Direktor
Seminar für Klassische Philologie der KU Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
85071 Eichstätt
Tel. 08421 931544

Topic: Re: wwh*.tmp files created in tmp directory (3 of 5), Read 12 times
Date: Monday, July 13, 2009 09:48 AM

At 08:53 AM 7/13/2009, you wrote:
>From: "Pauli Lindgren"
>
>I have been wondering why there are thousands of empty files with name wwh*.tmp (for example wwh5E7.tmp) in my %TEMP% folder.
>
>Now I noticed that a new wwh*.tmp is created every time I start Vedit. What is the purpose of these files? Why are they not deleted after use?

These files are not begin generated by VEDIT. VEDIT internals do not even generate .tmp files (except for sorting large files). "wwh" in lower case does not even appears in the vpw.exe file.

I would suggest changing VEDIT's temp directory (in the vedit.ini file) to e.g. c:\vedit\temp to see if that changes the location of these .tmp files.

Ted.

Topic: Re: wwh*.tmp files created in tmp directory (4 of 5), Read 11 times
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 06:49 AM

I noticed that the wwh*.tmp files are created in my work computer, but not in my home computer.

I did some more testing.
I changed the VeditTempDir setting to C:\APPS\vedit\temp.
It had no effect. The files are still created in %TEMP% directory.

I thought maybe it has something to do with instance control, but changing the setting had no effect.

Then I noticed that the .tmp files are not created if the File Selector panel is not displayed when Vedit is started. If I open the File Selector panel later, then the .tmp file is created (1-2 seconds later).

Maybe this has something to do with network drives that have been mapped to a drive letter. (I do not have network at home.) So maybe it is Explorer.exe that creates the tmp files.

--
Pauli

Topic: Re: wwh*.tmp files created in tmp directory (5 of 5), Read 12 times
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 05:01 PM

At 06:50 AM 7/14/2009, you wrote:
>From: "Pauli Lindgren"
>
>Then I noticed that the .tmp files are not created if the File Selector panel is not displayed when Vedit is started. If I open the File Selector panel later, then the .tmp file is created (1-2 seconds later).

I cannot replicate that either. Of course the File Selector does run a mini-Explorer and VEDIT has little control over how that works.

Ted.