Topic: Minor errors in the Online-Help (Pattern Matching) (1 of 4), Read 28 times
Conf: Search and Replace
Date: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 08:20 AM

There are minor errors in the Online-Help - Search+Replace - Pattern Matching:

|M This code is not generally useful as the first item in a search string.
|Y This code is not generally not useful as the first item in a search string.
|* This code is not generally not useful as the first item in a search string.

A bit too many "not"s. ;-)

Christian

Topic: Minor errors in the Online-Help (Pattern Matching) (2 of 4), Read 31 times
Date: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 09:49 AM

>A bit too many "not"s. ;-)
>
Ah, right.

Let's ask Ted to get a bit more philosophical and to group the patterns into markers of variables (|A), constants (|B), and relations (|M).

Seriously, that would not only eliminate two of those not's, but especially for beginners also be much more illuminating than the bare alphabetical arrangement (when I introduce the linguistic distinction between variables, constants and relations to my students, I often take that pattern matching codes as a "real life" example :) ).

Fritz

Topic: Re: Minor errors in the Online-Help (Pattern Matching) (4 of 4), Read 30 times
Date: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:27 AM

At 09:49 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
>Let's ask Ted to get a bit more philosophical and to group the patterns into markers of variables (|A), constants (|B), and relations (|M).
>
>Seriously, that would not only eliminate two of those not's, but especially for beginners also be much more illuminating than the bare alphabetical arrangement (when I introduce the linguistic distinction between variables, constants and relations, I often take that pattern matching codes as a "real life" example :) ).

I guess I would need to take Fritz's class to understand why |A is a variable and |B is a constant. To me, most pattern matching codes simply match a subset of the possible 256 (8-bit) chars. (Considering that I prefer assembly language, Philosophy is much too high level for me. Isn't it even higher level than C++?)

Also, I noticed that all references to |M, |Y and |* include mentions of the others. That "groups" them as well.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Minor errors in the Online-Help (Pattern Matching) (3 of 4), Read 27 times
Date: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:04 AM

At 08:20 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
>There are minor errors in the Online-Help - Search+Replace - Pattern Matching:
>
>|M This code is not generally useful as the first item in a search string.
>|Y This code is not generally not useful as the first item in a search string.
>|* This code is not generally not useful as the first item in a search string.

Thank you. I fixed the master copy for future releases.

Ted.