Topic: Reassigned 'Enter' key (1 of 5), Read 37 times
Conf: Keyboard, keystroke macros
Date: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 07:13 PM

A while back I asked whether or not it was possible for VPW to recognize the difference between pressing Enter while editing versus pressing Enter in response to a command mode prompt. The reason for asking is that I've created a keyboard macro for the Enter key, but now the Enter key no longer acts as a "normal" Enter key for interacting with a command mode prompt. Has this behavior changed under Version 6.xx? I can work around this by using Ctrl-M in place of the Enter key, but it usually takes me a couple of attempts (since I have to remember that Enter no longer works as Enter, but Ctrl-M apparently does) each time.

Topic: Re: Reassigned 'Enter' key (2 of 5), Read 38 times
Date: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 07:20 PM

VEDIT does not support reassigning the key. The DOS version might have supported this a long time ago, but it is not possible with the Windows version.
Sorry.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Reassigned 'Enter' key (3 of 5), Read 39 times
Date: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 07:45 PM

Ted,

I'm a little confused. I started using VEDIT when it was a Windows product (i.e., Version 5.0 or 5.1) and have never bothered with the DOS implementation. Are you saying that one could assign a keyboard macro to the Enter key, but the behavior will be unpredictable or are you implying that one cannot even assign a keyboard macro to the Enter key? By the way, I'm referring to the big key that's often labeled "Enter" and sometimes sports a bent arrow pointing left, not the key on the numeric keypad. (I'm not trying to be a wiseass. I just don't understand the assertion that the Enter key cannot be reassigned.)

Dave Moore

Topic: Re: Reassigned 'Enter' key (4 of 5), Read 41 times
Date: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 09:27 PM

At 07:45 PM 8/28/2002, you wrote:
>I'm a little confused. I started using VEDIT when it was a Windows product (i.e., Version 5.0 or 5.1) and have never bothered with the DOS implementation. Are you saying that one could assign a keyboard macro to the Enter key, but the behavior will be unpredictable or are you implying that one cannot even assign a keyboard macro to the Enter key? By the way, I'm referring to the big key that's often labeled "Enter" and sometimes sports a bent arrow pointing left, not the key on the numeric keypad. (I'm not trying to be a wiseass. I just don't understand the assertion that the Enter key cannot be reassigned.)

I would consider the behavior unpredictable and unsupported. I don't plan on supporting it and don't plan on testing its behavior in various situations. In the Windows version, I don't support redefining the , , and keys. Please consider them hard-wired because they really are hard-wired in some places including inside Windows.

Alternatively, you might try implementing the keystroke event macro, often referred to as "template editing". This could test if the last pressed key was , check the context and then perform the required operation.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Reassigned 'Enter' key (5 of 5), Read 42 times
Date: Thursday, August 29, 2002 03:50 PM

Your alternative is a great idea. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.