Topic: How to send control characters (1 of 4), Read 47 times
Conf: Printing, Word processing
Date: Monday, January 15, 2001 03:26 PM

(I'm the one who posed this question on 3/22/99 and am now trying again to get it to work.)

I'm using the latest Vedit Plus, 5.20.4, and am trying to send printer control codes, such as Control-O for condensed, to a dot-matrix printer, so I don't have to "cheat" and use the Vedit DOS 4.15 product instead.

I'm in NT 4, with a selected printer of Generic/Text. Normal text prints OK.

To send the Control-O I insert the 015 from the Ascii table, and if printed from the DOS Vedit, does the condensed function.

But, using "Raw" from the print dialog box of Vedit Plus 32-bit, or the equivalent 1024 Print Mode, just gets a "@" from the printer, rather than a print code.

The Default Datatype Print Processor for Generic/Text is RAW, which is not supposed to alter the job at all, so where does the Control-O get converted to something else?

Topic: Re: How to send control characters (2 of 4), Read 52 times
Date: Monday, January 15, 2001 03:57 PM

At 03:27 PM 1/15/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>But, using "Raw" from the print dialog box of Vedit Plus 32-bit, or the equivalent 1024 Print Mode, just gets a "@" from the printer, rather than a print code.
>
>The Default Datatype Print Processor for Generic/Text is RAW, which is not supposed to alter the job at all, so where does the Control-O get converted to something else?

The Windows version of VEDIT currently cannot send control characters directly to a printer. Windows always intercepts them.

Tom and I worked hard about 2 years ago to send control chars directly to a printer but were unsuccessful. It might be time for us to try it again. We originally were trying to support Win31; now that we only support Win95 and later, we can try using different printer access code.

The only work around is to "print" the chars to a file and then shell out to copy the file to LPT1, etc. Or you can shell out to the DOS version of VEDIT for your printing.

Ted.

Topic: Re: How to send control characters (3 of 4), Read 57 times
Date: Monday, January 15, 2001 05:42 PM

Why does the help file imply that it is possible? What do the parts about "Raw" and Print Mode of 1024 refer to, then?

(That's why it didn't work 2 years ago when I first asked, and still doesn't, now.)

The DOS Vedit doesn't work well with long file names, and even with the advised settings causes 100% CPU utilization.

Topic: Re: How to send control characters (4 of 4), Read 65 times
Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 03:40 PM

At 05:42 PM 1/15/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Why does the help file imply that it is possible? What do the parts about "Raw" and Print Mode of 1024 refer to, then?

We still intend to implement "raw" printing in the Windows version. Frankly, I'd rather spend several hours implementing requested features in VEDIT than spending it creating a complicated conditional compilation in the help files. Sorry for the confusion.

Ted.