Topic: Editing a variable blocked EBCDIC file (1 of 2), Read 40 times
Conf: Hex, Binary, EBCDIC
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 08:34 AM

I have downloaded an EBCDIC file in binary mode and am trying to edit it using the trial version of VEDIT. The MVS file is VB (variable blocked). In EBCDIC mode the characters are correct but the line/record breaks are not recognized. Without converting the file to ASCII is there a way to edit this file.
PS I have a design tool that references this file as:
"Blocked (prefixed with 2 byte Big Endian exclusive)"
If this file can be edited natively, I will put in a purchase request for several copied of VEDIT as this is a fairly common activity.

Thanks.

Topic: Re: Editing a variable blocked EBCDIC file (2 of 2), Read 47 times
Conf: Hex, Binary, EBCDIC
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 01:14 PM

At 09:02 AM 4/25/2007, you wrote:
>From: "Ralph Sampson"
>
>I have downloaded an EBCDIC file in binary mode and am trying to edit it using the trial version of VEDIT. The MVS file is VB (variable blocked). In EBCDIC mode the characters are correct but the line/record breaks are not recognized. Without converting the file to ASCII is there a way to edit this file.
>PS I have a design tool that references this file as:
>"Blocked (prefixed with 2 byte Big Endian exclusive)"
>If this file can be edited natively, I will put in a purchase request for several copied of VEDIT as this is a fairly common activity.

We prefer not to discuss EBCDIC related items in this conference, as it is of no interest to most people, and my staff that handles EBCDIC conversion does not participate in this VEDIT conference.

Therefore, I will answer you directly.

Ted.