Topic: OEM_KBD.TBL for editing with OEM charset (1 of 1), Read 16 times, 1 File Attachment
Conf: Converting, Translating
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:37 AM

There are problems with editing OEM characters on Vedit.

If you select an OEM font from "View" -> "Font", the OEM characters are displayed correctly on screen.
However, you can not type them from keyboard.

If you select ANSI font and use "Toggle display mode" to show ANSI/OEM mode, you can type OEM characters, but only those characters that are available in ANSI font are displayed.

If you select OEM font and ANSI/OEM display mode, then the OEM characters are displayed incorrectly.
This is because the translate table converts both displayed characters and keyboard characters.

To solve this problem, I made a translate table OEM_KBD.TBL that converts only keyboard characters but not the characters to be displayed.
Load this translate table, set screen display mode to 128 and choose OEM font.
Now all the OEM characters are displayed, and you can type OEM characters such as umlauts from the keyboard.

If you use "Toggle display mode" to show EBCDIC mode, the OEM table will be activated and you can type OEM characters.
However, it also sets the display mode to show CR and LF characters, which is not nice.
That is why I made a small macro OEM.VDM that toggles between normal keyboard and OEM keyboard.

There is no way to change the font from macro language, as far as I know, so you have to do that manually.

I wonder if it would be possible to change the ANSI/OEM display mode so that if OEM font is used, it would automatically use OEM_KBD.TBL instead of ANSI.TBL?

The enclosed zip file contains OEM_kbd.tbl and OEM.vdm.

--
Pauli

OEM_KBD.ZIP (1KB)