I have made a new version of (or replacement for) Wildfile Wizard: WILDFILEW.VDM (Wildfile for Windows), attached with this message.
The user interface is totally new. It is not a wizard any more. Instead, all the input needed for multi file search can be entered on single dialog box. In addition, the macro remembers your previous settings, so normally you only need to enter the search string and then press Enter. Or, if you have highlighted a block, you only need to press Enter! If you select search with "List" or "Extract" option, even the end dialog is omitted, the search results are just displayed in a window.
One problem with old Wildfile Wizard was that you could not change the directory. On Wildfilew.vdm, the starting directory is given in a text box and you can edit it. Or you can click Browse button to change the directory visually. (Note: the Browse button is only used for changing directory, not for selecting files.)
If you want to perform Search & Replace operation instead, just click the Replace button. The dialog box will change slightly to present options needed for replace. Any input you have already entered in Search dialog (search string, file filters, options etc.) will remain in effect. (However, the "Display matched lines as" option is stored separately for each dialog box.)
If you want to perform any other operations, click the Menu button. This opens a menu dialog that contains buttons for selecting the operations: Search, Replace, Commands or Macro. In addition, there are two new buttons: View button displays the last search results. Options button allows you to configure how the macro operates.
If you perform a search with "List" option, wildfilew.vdm sets up double-click event macro (if one has not been set up earlier). This allows you to directly go to the file and location where the string was found, by double-clicking the corresponding line in the search.tmp window.
Note: the double click event macro calls an external macro search116.vdm (included in the zip package). Originally I was going to set up that macro directly as event macro, but then file type specific configuration did not work and syntax highlight etc. were not working on the file opened from the event macro.
There are some more enhancements in Wildfilew.vdm.
In Search and Search & Replace dialog boxes, you can see a new option, "Skip comments". If you tick this, any search strings found within comments are ignored. Currently only supports C and C++ comments. (It would be nice if you could read the comment delimiters from the color syntax definition and automatically support all file types.)
Read-only mode and NOEVENT options are used to speed up search, when search is performed with "List" or "Extract" option. In Commands and Macro functions, there is a tickbox in the dialog box for selecting the read-only mode.
If you perform Replace, any read-only files are skipped. (In Wildfile Wizard, break-out occurs if read-only file is encountered.) But maybe this should be user-selectable option, since otherwise the user may not notice that some files were not changed?
Syntax highlight now highlights replace string (in addition to search string), and recognizes Case Sensitive option. (New search.syn file included in the zip package.)
Bugs fixed from Wildfwiz.vdm:
- Wildfwiz.vdm tried to ensure T-Reg[#93] is adjacent to T-Reg[#94].
This didn't work, instead caused infinite loop. Now this works as expected.
- Wildfwiz.vdm tried to read config values for search options, but always got 0 for every option. Now the configure options are read correctly (if you have selected that option).
- If multiple replaces were done on single line, the Display option displayed the line after only the first change was made. Now the line is displayed after all changes have been made.
- 1st time in flag (#91) for "Macro" or "Command" option didn't work, since it was pushed/popped on stack before macro call.
Now #98 is used instead, and it is not pushed/popped.
- The screen blinking during search is fixed. Search result list is now displayed during the search.
Note: Wildfilew.vdm is quite a complex macro and I have not had time to test it extensively. Therefore, this should be considered as beta version. It is good idea to first test it with less important files!
There are a few things that may need adjustment in the user interface.
- Should there be options "Simple" and "Hex" for search mode?
- In Replace dialog, there is Back button for returning to Search dialog. But if you entered Replace dialog from Menu dialog, this is not very logical. Any suggestions?
- Currently, the Menu dialog displays text "Operations", as in Wildfwiz.vdm. Should it read "Menu" or "Main menu" or something?
- Any better name for the macro?
I have tried to keep the register usage same as in Wildfwiz.vdm as much as possible. The registers that have been changed are marked with *, and new registers are marked with +.