Topic: Internal error 23 (1 of 3), Read 99 times
Conf: Error messages, Crashes
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003 11:44 AM

I am creating a set of tab-delimited records from an Oracle database. Three of the fields contain embedded newline characters, both and , that need to be removed from the output file.

Using pattern matching with |N --> Null removes all newline characters and I am left with a single record approximately 1.5 MB long.

I can recognize what should be the start of each record and tried to insert the newlines using the regular expression {[0-9][0-9]+\t99\t} --> \N\1. Unfortunately, clicking OK results in an immediate Internal error 23. This replacement works with smaller files.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Topic: Internal error 23 (2 of 3), Read 100 times
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003 12:07 PM

>Using pattern matching with |N --> Null removes all newline characters and I am left with a single record approximately 1.5 MB long.
>
>I can recognize what should be the start of each record and tried to insert the newlines using the regular expression {[0-9][0-9]+\t99\t} --> \N\1. Unfortunately, clicking OK results in an immediate Internal error 23. This replacement works with smaller files.

Regular expressions only work with a maximum line length of about 100,000 bytes.

You might try this:

1. Use your RE to make the records with e.g. <<>>
2. Delete the existing newlines.
3. Use pattern matching to replace <<>> with a Newline (|N)

In general, removing all newlines is likely to cause trouble.

Ted.

Topic: Internal error 23 (3 of 3), Read 115 times
Date: Monday, September 06, 2004 01:40 PM

In VEDIT 6.11, the error message INTERNAL ERROR 23 has been changed to:

Line too long for Regular Expression

I originally made it an internal error because I though we would soon fix it, but for the time being we will limit regular expressions to a max line length of about 100,000 chars.
Ted.