Topic: color configuration settings (1 of 4), Read 61 times
Conf: Other, General, etc.
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 04:47 PM

I've been revisiting my color settings in Vedit. I tried some new ones (using menu-config-editing colors) and then saved the file to a cfg file (save config...), say to grey.cfg. However, if I try to use this cfg file (by loading it) to change screen colors, the color settings in this config file do not seem to work on a file already loaded.

For example, start Vedit new (which uses vedit.cfg colors). Open a file, then Load the grey.cfg file. It does not affect any of the screen colors, although if I look at the settings in menu-config-editing colors, the new colors are shown there. If i open another file, the new colors do take affect on it.

Even if I type cf(cwtext,128) in command mode and then go back to Visual, it has no affect on the screen color, and similarly, a vdm file with cf(cwtext,n) commands has no affect on screen colors if executed.

It's been a long time since I looked at Vedit's coloring, but has this always been like this?? I seem to remember being able to change colors on the fly using config commands in macros, and by loading config files.

I'm using the latest version of Vedit and Win98, sp2.

Topic: color configuration settings (2 of 4), Read 62 times
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003 12:11 AM

At 12:47 PM 6/11/2003, you wrote:
>I've been revisiting my color settings in Vedit. I tried some new ones (using menu-config-editing colors) and then saved the file to a cfg file (save config...), say to grey.cfg. However, if I try to use this cfg file (by loading it) to change screen colors, the color settings in this config file do not seem to work on a file already loaded.

Rich:

The color Config() commands have always only changed the colors for new windows, not for existing windows. However, the new colors will be used for all existing window after a Screen_Init() command. Alternatively, use Win_Color() to change the color of the current window. Check out the supplied color.vdm macro to see how to change colors.

There were good reasons for this many years ago, but I have forgotten the reasons. Perhaps they are no longer valid. I never considered that someone would load a .CFG file to change colors.

Ted.

Topic: color configuration settings (3 of 4), Read 62 times
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003 07:42 AM

Ted, thanks for the info. I agree it is odd to use a cfg file for this purpose. The methods you gave are much more straight-forward. But wait, don't programmers usually try to use the strangest possible method for any given task... ;-)

Topic: color configuration settings (4 of 4), Read 59 times
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 03:59 AM

Another way to activate the configured colors in all windows is to use "Reset" command in the "View" menu.
However, this also resets window sizes etc.