Topic: VEDIT running under WINE (1 of 8), Read 44 times
Conf: Other, General, etc.
Date: Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:32 AM

Inspired by Doc Evans' message in
http://webboard..../read?22378,42
I also tried to use VEDIT under WINE.

I'm using Fedora Core 5 on an older Compaq Armada E500 laptop (PIII 800 with 256 MB RAM) for testing here.

Installing WINE (for me the first time) worked fine.
Running VEDIT's SETUP.EXE worked fine.
Starting and playing around with VEDIT worked fine.
Wow!

Some findings:

It's slower (of course) but usable.

The online help is a bit malformed:
For example: Several characters "n" seem to be treated as newlines; strange.

The keyboard control is not perfect (e.g. TAB in dialogs).

Interesting: A VEDIT issue happening sometimes under Windows happens always under WINE:

The handling of the "Alt"-key when trying to access the menu is not o.k.: "Alt" is treated as a toggle and not as a modifier!

So I have to press and release(!) "Alt" and then to press the desired menu hotkey (e.g. "F" for "File").

(That doesn't happen with other programs (tested with Forte-Agent (one of the few other Windows programs I would miss when switching to Linux) and with some WINE-included programs).)

Christian

Topic: VEDIT running under WINE (2 of 8), Read 42 times
Date: Sunday, May 21, 2006 07:28 PM

The biggest annoyance I've found so far is that when one does a search, the cursor is placed at the beginning of the little dialogue thingy, and the text from the last search sits to the right of the cursor.

Is there some clever thing one can do to stop the old text being there? Or, failing that, is there something else I can do so that I don't keep getting extremely annoyed because I expect to be able to hit "ctrl-F" and then the text I'm searching for, -- and I'm getting fed up of doing that and the search failing because the text from the last search is appended to the text for the current search.

Other than that (which really is very annoying), VPW seems to work at least well enough to be usable.

Topic: Re: VEDIT running under WINE (3 of 8), Read 46 times
Date: Monday, May 22, 2006 04:31 PM

At 07:29 PM 5/21/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Doc Evans"
>
>The biggest annoyance I've found so far is that when one does a search, the cursor is placed at the beginning of the little dialogue thingy, and the text from the last search sits to the right of the cursor.
>...
>Other than that (which really is very annoying), VPW seems to work at least well enough to be usable.

Has anyone tried installing Linux under MS Virtual PC, and then running WINE and VEDIT?
If we can replicate problems in this virtual environment, Tom Burt should be able to fix at least some of them.

Ted.

Ted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Green (ted@...) Greenview Data, Inc.
Web: www.... Fax: 734-996-1308 PO Box 1586, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Tel: (734) 996-1300 Desk: 734-369-3550 VEDIT - Text/Data/Binary Editor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.SpamStopsHere.com ranked #1 in accuracy by Network Computing Magazine

Topic: Re: VEDIT running under WINE (5 of 8), Read 48 times
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 07:25 AM

On 5/22/2006 4:31:12 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>
>Has anyone tried installing Linux under MS Virtual PC, and
>then running WINE and VEDIT?

If I'm using Virtual Servers I'm doing it with VMware, but not lately (no time to set it up under Fedora Linux).

Since my main workstation is still running under Windows (2000 or XP) I installed Cygwin there.

For testing I'm using Cygwins X-Server to display the VEDIT window coming from a Linux server through WINE ... ;-)

(Sometimes I use the earlier mentioned laptop, with Linux installed, too.)

Christian

Topic: Re: VEDIT running under WINE (6 of 8), Read 45 times
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 06:30 PM

On 5/22/2006 4:31:12 PM, Ted Green wrote:

>Has anyone tried installing
>Linux under MS Virtual PC, and
>then running WINE and VEDIT?

No; I've never had the necessary time to spend to get any virtual environment working, and I don't have Virtual PC to try that particular virtual machine environment. I do have a high degree of confidence that, assuming that Linux works at all under Virtual PC, if one were to do what you suggest, it would work exactly as Christian and I are seeing.

Doc

PS Having got VPW installed on a Linux box, I finally went two days last week without turning on my Windows machine.

PPS FWIW, the distro I'm using is the official Mandriva 2006
release, with all updates applied. I strongly suspect that the behaviour we're seeing is quite robust, though, and that
any reasonably recent distro (i.e., within the past six months or so) is going to have the same results.

Topic: VEDIT running under WINE (4 of 8), Read 45 times
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 07:15 AM

On 5/21/2006 7:28:30 PM, Doc Evans wrote:
>The biggest annoyance I've found so far is that when one
>does a search, the cursor is placed at the beginning of the
>little dialogue thingy, and the text from the last search
>sits to the right of the cursor.

That's because the "select all" (or similar) property of input boxes doesn't seem to work correcly in this environment.

But that seems to be a general problem, not only VEDIT:
I tried it with notepad.exe under WINE with exactly the same effect.

>Is there some clever thing one can do to stop the old text
>being there?

Not really I fear ...

Perhaps you can type Shift-End first to highlight the old text and then type your search string ...

Christian

Topic: VEDIT running under WINE (7 of 8), Read 30 times
Date: Thursday, December 20, 2007 08:45 PM

I have recently started playing with Linux (Ubuntu)

I installed WINE, and was able to run vpw.exe (in trial mode) and then Setup to install it. These ran well (apart from fonts).

The installed version of Vedit starts, displays "waiting for disc or Ctrl-C" then quits in a second or so.

Any ideas?
I guess it is looking for some startup file.

PS Do the Vedit fonts work for anyone else?

Topic: Re: VEDIT running under WINE (8 of 8), Read 36 times
Date: Thursday, December 20, 2007 09:20 PM

At 08:45 PM 12/20/2007, you wrote:
>From: Ian Binnie
>
>I have recently started playing with Linux (Ubuntu)
>
>I installed WINE, and was able to run vpw.exe (in trial mode) and then Setup to install it. These ran well (apart from fonts).
>
>The installed version of Vedit starts, displays "waiting for disc or Ctrl-C" then quits in a second or so.
>
>Any ideas?
>I guess it is looking for some startup file.
>
>PS Do the Vedit fonts work for anyone else?

I am currently building a new computer for myself with Linux Fedora 8 as the main OS. I am running WinXP within Innotek's VirtualBox.

After the holidays, I will try out the latest Wine and try to debug any VEDIT problems within it.

Ted.