Topic: Blocking text causes shifting (1 of 5), Read 52 times
Conf: Basic editing, Block operations
Date: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 10:51 AM

When I used vedit on W2K and blocked text, the text would just highlight.

Now on XP, the highlighting extends before and past the text about 2-5 spaces with nothing in it. The text shifts to allow the extended highlighting. The extended highlighting is part of the block when I copy and past it.

Topic: Re: Blocking text causes shifting (2 of 5), Read 50 times
Date: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 10:59 AM

At 10:52 AM 5/5/2004, you wrote:
>When I used vedit on W2K and blocked text, the text would just highlight.
>
>Now on XP, the highlighting extends before and past the text about 2-5 spaces with nothing in it. The text shifts to allow the extended highlighting. The extended highlighting is part of the block when I copy and past it.

As there are over a dozen ways to "block" text, you need to be much more specific - exactly what kind, method and size of block did you highlight.

I have never seen a VEDIT difference between W2K and XP; therefore I think you have different configuration. You may want to invoke VEDIT with "vpw -g -ixxx" to force default configuration.

Also, you did not mention what version of VEDIT this is. Only VEDIT 6.11 and 6.12 (now in beta) are supported.

Ted.

Ted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Green (ted@...) Greenview Data, Inc.
Web: www.... PO Box 1586, Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Tel: (734) 996-1300 Fax: (734) 996-1308 VEDIT - Text/Data/Binary Editor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spam problems? www.SpamStopsHere.com blocks 99% of spam for businesses.

Topic: Re: Blocking text causes shifting (3 of 5), Read 46 times, 1 File Attachment
Date: Friday, May 07, 2004 03:20 PM

I experience this issue when I block using the shift and arrow, or the mouse. This shifting does not always occur, but I attached a snippet of a file that causes this issue for me.

If you open the file and go to row 6 column 25 and shift arrow right you will see this effect. Also if you go the the "end" of the line and shift arrow left, you also see an odd phenomenon.

Using version 6.03.

I notice that if the view font is ansi, the highlighting issue is more pronounced. If it's set to oem it's not as bad.

TEST.TXT (1KB)

Topic: Re: Blocking text causes shifting (4 of 5), Read 41 times
Date: Friday, May 07, 2004 03:25 PM

At 03:13 PM 5/7/2004, you wrote:
>If you open the file and go to row 6 column 25 and shift arrow right you will see this effect. Also if you go the the "end" of the line and shift arrow left, you also see an odd phenomenon.

Your sample file appears to be a strange binary file; was that the intention?

>Using version 6.03.

Sorry, but we have to limit our support to VEDIT 6.11 or 6.12 (beta). I cannot afford to examine problems with older versions, only to find that they have been fixed.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Blocking text causes shifting (5 of 5), Read 42 times
Date: Friday, May 07, 2004 05:59 PM

The only thing I can verify, be it your test file or any file of mine, is that "leftward blocking" (either using shft+cursor-left or the mouse) causes the leftmost byte in the block to switch colour (in my case from "standard" 175 in the editing colour table to 223).

If this is not a feature it is at least a very nice bug, as it marks "inverse" end of block ;)

Fritz (still using 6.11)