Topic: Scribe v4.2 - full version (1 of 2), Read 14 times, 1 File Attachment
Conf: VEDIT User Applications
Date: Saturday, August 07, 2010 06:20 PM

Scribe v4.2 now offers a Thesaurus.

Similar to Lookup a Word, Scribe asks on the status line for a word and tries to offer a list of synonyms. Once you select the word, you get the choice of putting the selected synonym in scratchpad, windows clipboard, insert at edit position, or doing nothing with the selection.

I have built the thesaurus data file (thesaurus.vtf) from scratch. It contains mostly adjectives and adverbs. It has by no means reached critical mass in size. Good test words include: reasonable, light, superb, big.

I will continue to expand the thesaurus data file as time goes on, and upload new versions of it to this forum.

Please remember words can have different synonyms in different contexts. For example the word "slow" can have the synonyms "stupid" and "unhurried" depending on the context. Scribe offers all the synonyms it has for a particular word, it is up to you, the user, to decide if a synonym will work in your intended context. Scribe offers no antonyms at this time.

Attached is the full archive scribe42.zip with all files including the scribe.ini and the vdf files. This is the one to use, if you do not have Scribe 4.x on your system.

If you are already running versions 4.0 or 4.1, please see my next message in this thread for the upgrade archive: upgrade42.zip. It does not contain the scribe.ini or the vdf files.

I am very pleased to be able to give Scribe a thesaurus function. I seem to be turning our favorite file editor into a word processor.

I greatly appreciate comments, suggestions, and bug reports.

Thank you for trying / using Scribe for your Vedit spell checking and now thesaurus needs.

Scott

SCRIBE42.ZIP (335KB)

Topic: Scribe v4.2 - full version (2 of 2), Read 17 times, 1 File Attachment
Conf: VEDIT User Applications
Date: Saturday, August 07, 2010 06:27 PM

As per my previous message, attached is the upgrade archive: upgrade42.zip. It does not contain the scribe.ini or the vdf files. Scott

UPGRADE42.ZIP (36KB)