Topic: Create New File (1 of 4), Read 21 times
Conf: VEDIT Beta Test
Date: Thursday, February 02, 2006 03:47 AM

I experienced some data loss.

I had been creating a new file in an empty buffer, by cutting/pasting & editing from a number of other files.
This is something I do often.

After 15 minutes of editing I attempted to save the file (using the Save Current File icon).

I received an error - something along the lines of "could not create new file" and ended up with an empty buffer - apparently with the new file name, although there was no evidence of the file, and I could not undo, or find any evidence of the data in text registers, backup directory or temp directory. (I know I shouldn't go 15 minutes without a save)

I realise this is a bit vague, and is not easily reproducible. I had done nothing unusual except a Chdir("D:\progs\ZTW\text") before the save.

I had experienced a similar loss with an earlier beta.

Topic: Re: Create New File (2 of 4), Read 22 times
Date: Thursday, February 02, 2006 03:05 PM

At 03:47 AM 2/2/2006, you wrote:
>I had been creating a new file in an empty buffer, by cutting/pasting & editing from a number of other files.
>This is something I do often.
>
>After 15 minutes of editing I attempted to save the file (using the Save Current File icon).
>
>I received an error - something along the lines of "could not create new file" and ended up with an empty buffer

Ian:

I cannot replicate this problem. I suspect it is related to the new Temp file handling and options.

My file-open code checks that the VEDIT_TEMP directory exists, and if not, it sets an internal working copy of Config(F_TEMP_DIR) to "0" to create temp files the old way. If either Config(F_TEMP_DIR) or Config_String(VEDIT_TEMP) changes, file-open rechecks the directory.
However, I didn't perform this sanity-check for the File-SaveAs code; I will add that in the next release.

While I'm not convinced a File-SaveAs check of VEDIT_TEMP would fix your problem, it is a trivial fix.

Of course, if you can give me the exact steps to replicate the problem, then I can fix it. I would need your vedit.cfg and vedit.ini files too.

Ted.

Topic: Re: Create New File (3 of 4), Read 13 times
Date: Thursday, March 02, 2006 05:37 PM

On 2/2/2006 3:05:41 PM, Ted Green wrote:
>At 03:47 AM 2/2/2006, you
>wrote:

>Ian:
>
>I cannot replicate this
>problem. I suspect it is
>related to the new Temp file
>handling and options.
>
>My file-open code checks that
>the VEDIT_TEMP directory
>exists, and if not, it sets an
>internal working copy of
>Config(F_TEMP_DIR) to "0" to
>create temp files the old way.
>If either Config(F_TEMP_DIR)
>or Config_String(VEDIT_TEMP)
>changes, file-open rechecks
>the directory.
>However, I didn't perform this
>sanity-check for the
>File-SaveAs code; I will add
>that in the next release.
>
>While I'm not convinced a
>File-SaveAs check of
>VEDIT_TEMP would fix your
>problem, it is a trivial fix.
>
>Of course, if you can give me
>the exact steps to replicate
>the problem, then I can fix
>it. I would need your
>vedit.cfg and vedit.ini files
>too.
>
>Ted.
>
I have experienced another lost file.

I had opened Vedit & pasted in some text, from a web page.
Executed Chdir("D:\progs\Vedit\text") from Tools menu, then "Save current file" button.
This was successful.

I opened a file in another directory
D:\progs\ZTW\text\ZAAP relayer.txt

(This was launched from ZTreeWin using START C:\Vedit\Vpw.exe "D:\progs\ZTW\text\ZAAP relayer.txt")

I opened a new window/buffer and commenced by cutting & pasting from the open file.
I then spent some time entering text and then pressed the "Save current file" button, entering a file name ZaapR.txt")

I received an error -"Could Not Create File" and ended up with an empty buffer.
I tried an undo, without any result.

I looked in:-
C:\Documents and Settings\ian\Local Settings\Temp\VeditTmp
There was a temp file (0 bytes), but no evidence of the file in other directories.

I exited Vedit, and repeated the above steps, but without problem this time, so I can't reliably replicate the problem.
It is annoying that the text is lost.

Topic: Re: Create New File (4 of 4), Read 16 times
Date: Thursday, March 02, 2006 05:57 PM

At 05:37 PM 3/2/2006, you wrote:
>I received an error -"Could Not Create File" and ended up with an empty buffer.
>I tried an undo, without any result.

I have made improvements to the new temp file handling which might fix this.
Tom has been working hard on finalizing the ftp support and we will be merging our work this weekend. The ftp on-line doco is also complete.
Therefore, I should have a nearly-final 6.15 posted within a few days.

Ted.